Member Spotlight
Aries4
Aries4
Morrisville, PA/West End, Tortola
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
49 registered members (JandIrene, Bernd, bobsob, luvtotravel, SXMNAN, StMartinFan, MKGrey, lcote, SirRichard, Fletch, nevar37, taraavo, OceanSong, pburke40, RickG, Scooter, duckfat, BillB42, marybeth, RonDon, tradewinds, sunmantwo, Sandsailsun, SXMBND, johndana274, Tonythepilot, KirkB, Uksimonusa, Rbailey, louismcc, Time Will Tell, John, ColoBoater, 16 invisible), 994 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Esmeralda #192530
04/17/2019 10:36 AM
04/17/2019 10:36 AM
Toronto, Ontario
Kevin_B Offline OP
Traveler
Kevin_B  Offline OP
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
Thinking of staying at Esmeralda, and have a few questions.
1. How long a walk is it to the Club O beach?
2. Which restaurants in the Village are open for dinner?
3. Would it be safe to walk back to Esmeralda from the Village at night after dinner?
Thanks

Kevin
SXM Sponsors
Re: Esmeralda [Re: Kevin_B] #192538
04/17/2019 11:37 AM
04/17/2019 11:37 AM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Hello Kevin ...

Esmeralda is about 500 or 600 feet from the north end of Orient Beach. Easy walk, though a little uphill on the way back. It is inland from the old Coco Beach that was directly on OB. Several restaurants are now open including the nearby L'Astrolabe. Some people think this place is a little expensive, but I'm okay with the prices here. In reality it's a little less expensive than Sale e Pepe down in Simpson Bay. Restaurants that are open in and around Orient Village and the main road there include Yellow Submarine, Le Piment, and an asian place called Sao (I think). Bikini Beach's restaurant is also open into the early evening if you place to dine later in the day.

As for the walk back that should be no problem. If it was me I would simply head back before total darkness sets in unless I was with a group of people.

Hope this helps.

Re: Esmeralda [Re: Kevin_B] #192575
04/18/2019 04:08 AM
04/18/2019 04:08 AM
Michigan
C
cacapasa Offline
Traveler
cacapasa  Offline
Traveler
C
Michigan
We were at Esmeralda for three weeks ending 3rd March.

Depending where you are placed within the complex, it could take anywhere from 5-10 minutes to get onto the beach in front of Esmeralda, and then another 15-20 minutes down to the CO beach, depending on your pace. But beware that there may be hurricane debris still on the path to the beach once you leave the paved walkways at Esmeralda. There was when we were there and had to be vigilant to sidestep it (broken glass, metal shards, etc.). Also, I have no idea how much further along they are in reconstructing the Coco Beach bar that is in front of Esmeralda. When we were there, they had fenced off access to the beach on several days, due to construction activity. Furthermore, that area was not at all lit up at night.

Alternatively, you could walk over to the Esmeralda entrance and just walk along Avenue des Plages to Orient Village, instead of walking on the beach, and then continue on down to the CO section. We did that a few times. We frequently saw people walking along the Avenue late at night, if you want to walk to and back from Orient Village for dinner.

Virtually all the restaurants (though they are not all the same restaurants) are open in the Village. We were told that Calmos Café (formerly in Grand Case) was thinking of reopening in the space where Thai Chi was located. I have no idea whether anything has developed along that line.

Hope this response answers your questions.

Re: Esmeralda [Re: Kevin_B] #192595
04/18/2019 10:16 AM
04/18/2019 10:16 AM
Boston, MA
mdmf52 Offline
Traveler
mdmf52  Offline
Traveler
Boston, MA
We walked thru the Esmeralda property last week and spoke with the young man in the reception area, he stated that the fall prices would be about $240 a night when they reopen after their summer vacation. We have stayed here usually for 10-14 days at least eight times in the past. Basically the resort is close to 90% back to the way it was before the incredible damage was inflicted on it by the hurricanes. There was only one unit that is still closed but there were people there measuring and taking notes before they begin rehabbing it. There was still some small areas of metal roof damage on a couple of units but other than that Esmeralda has done in my opinion a great job rebuilding.

L'astrolabe was open and doing a decent midday business. As you walk down to the beach there is a lot of debris strewn about, from water bottles to broken glass and rebar & wood but you can easily bypass any of this. The CoCo beach restaurant is ever so slowly being rebuilt, the cinderblock walls are up and they are securing rebar on the roof , there were only two men working on it so if that's the norm I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't 100% completed before the fall.

We rented chairs at KKO and enjoyed a few drinks and talking with others. They have done an exceptional job cleaning the area and getting the bar & food service up and running, their restrooms were by far spotless.

later we strolled down the beach still surprised at how some areas are striving to put the bad times in the past and move on but equally surprised at how others have not. As we got close to where the old boulder barrier was for the Club Orient area we were what I would honestly describe as accosted by a group of people fully enjoying the sun shall we say, screaming and waving their fists at us for invading their "area" with our bathing suits on. Believe me I have no qualms with anyone that enjoys having the sun on every inch of their bodies, but at first not understanding their wrath until this group of 4 or 5 men quickly walked up to us and questioned why we would walk around without taking off our bathing suits. One failed mensa candidate started to yell at my wife, not me, for her sheer ignorance at keeping her suit on, my wife was in quickly in tears as she tried to explain that we in no uncertain terms were just enjoying a walk on the beach. He then began to backup when as I stepped in front of him and lowered myself to his brand of bullying, immediately the conversation was done but despite my requests to apologize to my wife he trotted back with his crew to the safe zone of the women that were with them. Since when are people allowed to overtake certain areas expressly as theirs on a public beach. Is this what the mentality of the CO crowd is, to berate two people as they mind their own business walking the beach ? We passed a few people that were enjoying the sun and never paid attention to it, by far the majority of people are not sans clothes but seriously who cares. What was once Club O appears as if it will never be rebuilt, and that really surprises me considering it was a fantastic option for a lot of people.

Last but not the least is the Island itself. When tourism is your #1 source of revenue for the majority of residents what is the mentality of the government in charge to turn their backs on the what vacationers visiting here for the first time see as they drive around. Tons & tons of rubbish, garbage, stripped & abandoned cars, pickup trucks & construction vehicles, metal storage containers litter the entire Island, unless you are in a gated resort. When you are told by some that no one cares, all you can do is shake your head and say a prayer for these poor people.

Re: Esmeralda [Re: Kevin_B] #192597
04/18/2019 10:34 AM
04/18/2019 10:34 AM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
I am stunned that situation arose on Orient Beach with you and your wife, mdmf52! Those men had absolutely no right whatsoever to behave in that manner, and I would have said to them what don't you understand about the concept of a 'clothing-optional beach'? Over the years I (and my wife) have walked the entire length of the Club O. beach sometimes with suits on and sometimes with suits off. Never, ever have I encountered anyone who acted in a manner similar to what you described. Normally, it's just the opposite ... very welcoming and accepting. It is absolutely 100% a public beach, and if this happened to us I would even consider notifying the local gendarmerie about this type of harassment.

Maybe they were new to Orient Beach, or possibly came from one of those over-priced resorts in Jamaica where everyone on the beach has to be nude (i.e., Couples San Souci). Who knows. Let's just chalk this up to a group of ignorant people who need to realize that one's attire on this beach is strictly their own personal choice. Don't let this incident deter you (or anyone else out there) from enjoying all of Orient Beach in the future.

Re: Esmeralda [Re: mdmf52] #192599
04/18/2019 10:46 AM
04/18/2019 10:46 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Think I would have looked down and addressed his manhood with an insulting snicker and suggested that he might want to cover up and trotted off. LOL

Re: Esmeralda [Re: SammyM] #192600
04/18/2019 11:47 AM
04/18/2019 11:47 AM
Clearwater, FL
Biturbo Offline
Traveler
Biturbo  Offline
Traveler
Clearwater, FL
Sammy, I agree. Clothing optional means just that - whatever someone's comfort level is, it's OK. Nobody should mind. Those actions don't speak well for the naturist community. Perhaps alcohol played a part.

I'm going where the weather suits my clothes.
Re: Esmeralda [Re: Biturbo] #192603
04/18/2019 12:08 PM
04/18/2019 12:08 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Biturbo and Sammy--I agree, I've never seen such behavior on Orient, UNLESS the person was taking pictures, when people have a tendency to get riled up. I would also suspect an 'alcohol involved' situation.

Carol Hill
Re: Esmeralda [Re: Carol_Hill] #192605
04/18/2019 01:06 PM
04/18/2019 01:06 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Alcohol or not. No excuse for this to happen.

Re: Esmeralda [Re: SXMScubaman] #192607
04/18/2019 01:20 PM
04/18/2019 01:20 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
No, I didn't say there was. But alcohol can cause people to do a multitude of stupid things.

Carol Hill
Re: Esmeralda [Re: Carol_Hill] #192608
04/18/2019 01:24 PM
04/18/2019 01:24 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Guess I should have phrased it as "suspected" alcohol or not. handshake

Re: Esmeralda [Re: Kevin_B] #192619
04/18/2019 04:46 PM
04/18/2019 04:46 PM
S
SammyM Offline
Traveler
SammyM  Offline
Traveler
S
Whatever their reasons were they are simply not acceptable. The one thing that makes St. Martin and Orient Beach a remarkable destination and one that so many of us return to year-after-year is the freedom and ability to do your own thing here. And, among the Caribbean destinations it stands alone, IMO. Whether you keep your swimsuit on or off at the beach, or when swimming, or when having lunch at the Perch, it's your choice. If anything, what's needed is even a more accepting approach to those who come down to see what the Club O. portion of Orient is all about. Cruise ship visitors and all. It's only natural for people to be curious and see what a clothing-optional beach is. Yes, people will giggle and even point, but when they see the fun and enjoyment so many of us have here a fair number of these folks will want to return and join-in. I cannot begin to tell you how many people over the years I have talked to at Kakao, Bikini, etc. that I have encouraged to give the clothing-optional experience a try. And, some people have taken me up on this and given it a try.

Let me share a recent story about Orient Beach, then I promise I'll exit from my 'soap box'. My wife and I were laying out in the first row of chairs on Bikini back in early March when I thought I heard someone calling out my name! "No way", I said to myself only to look up and see a woman I worked with about 15 years ago and her husband walking towards us. I leaned forward and sure enough it was who I thought it was, and I asked them to join us for a round of cold beers. They were on a Royal Caribbean cruise and had always heard about Orient Beach and decided to take a taxi up here to see what it was all about. I asked how they spotted me, and they indicated that they saw us crossing over 'the rocks' and walking past Kontiki where they were having lunch. So, they sought out to find us. And, find us they did. We spent about an hour with them, had some drinks, took a group selfie, and then they had to leave to get back to the port. It was a really nice experience.

Now, fast forward one month later to early April. I'm at a local supermarket and once again I hear my name being called out across the aisle. Sure enough, it was the husband (Mike) from our beach encounter and we stopped and chatted for about 10 minutes. As he approaches he jokes "I almost didn't recognize you with your clothes on!" So, I asked him just where did he see my on Orient Beach? He smiles, and told me that he and his wife wanted to walk the clothing-optional beach, but they were reluctant to do so. And, they just weren't ready to discard their swimsuits at this time. I replied that's completely understandable, and that everyone has their own comfort level when it comes to this. I told him how awesome and liberating it is to do this, and when the time arrives they'll know it. He then says "can you let us know the next time you plan to visit St. Martin? My wife and I were actually talking about this when we got back, and we'd love to give it a try and join you guys if you are okay with this!" I replied "hell, ya" and proceeded to exchange phone numbers. Sorry this was so long, but reaching out to others with a positive approach and encouraging them to experience 'all' of Orient Beach is always the right move.

Re: Esmeralda [Re: cacapasa] #192623
04/18/2019 05:19 PM
04/18/2019 05:19 PM
Boston, MA
mdmf52 Offline
Traveler
mdmf52  Offline
Traveler
Boston, MA
I have just mentioned the reply's to my earlier post to my wife, she seriously got misty eyed when she said that she knew we were in the right and did absolutely nothing wrong other than offend them for wearing bathing suits. As I mentioned we have been to St. Martin four times on a cruise before we really did some exploring in a taxi. That is when we fell in love with the Esmeralda and the next year we went with four other couples and stayed for ten days, not enough frown , so we continued for the next seven years vacationing there with no less than two of our closest friends. Sadly one was very sick on our last stay and he has since taken up residence in heaven. This is the first trip back in a few years and being our 45th wedding anniversary we couldn't think of a better place to enjoy each other or the beach, the rest is water under the bridge.

Carol makes a valid point about alcohol, I truly can't say that is what gave these, ummm, sunbathers, the bravado to demean my wife but when I stopped saying we were sorry and reacted to the big mouth then they moved back to the group they were with. Believe me some really stupid ideas raced thru my head during the 4 or 5 minutes we yelled at each other but when the wife squeezed my hand that was the shock that had me realize what good could come out of escalating an already uncomfortable situation, so we walked back to KKO and toasted ourselves.

Would this stop us from walking Orient again, not a chance. Would we walk so far, probably. And when we were in the Taxi heading back to the cruise ship that's when I looked at my wife and said, we should have phoned the gendarmes and asked them to speak to Mr. Shorty about accosting people walking on the beach, but we all know that he would have told them to talk to his friends to back him up. Oh well, lesson learned smile .

I thank all of you for the replies as I was positive Orient is clothing optional and as many times before we would always do a stage right and walk back when we reached the "boulder barrier".

Happy Easter to all !

Re: Esmeralda [Re: Kevin_B] #192625
04/18/2019 05:23 PM
04/18/2019 05:23 PM
Boston, MA
mdmf52 Offline
Traveler
mdmf52  Offline
Traveler
Boston, MA
One last thing...…..boy o boy do we miss Andy & Cheryl's, that was such an experience to sit and talk with them, Andy....you were a special character, and Cheryl....for all the years you stood next to him, what an awesome woman.

Re: Esmeralda [Re: mdmf52] #192630
04/18/2019 06:25 PM
04/18/2019 06:25 PM
Northern California
T
thesimpsons Offline
Traveler
thesimpsons  Offline
Traveler
T
Northern California
Wow! I wouldn’t have tolerated these individuals behavior whether it was directed towards me or strangers and Club O is/was the only place we’ve stayed on island since 1991.