Traveltalkonline.com Forums


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics27,607
Posts196,743
Members25,095
Most Online1,403
Dec 25th, 2017
Top Posters(30 Days)
RonDon 59
Tammy 52
SammyM 46
Kennys 37
bran 34
Member Spotlight
NeilRooney
NeilRooney
Anguilla, British West Indies
Posts: 2,321
Joined: August 2000
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
GregB, Jorgen, mikefrie, RastaRoy, TravelGurl
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (LINNY, EdB, TreetopFlyer, BeachKitten, warren460, jenniboston, JandCF, BeachcomberPT, SammyM, HibiscusFan, 3 invisible), 63 guests, and 384 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196028
05/26/2019 06:56 PM
05/26/2019 06:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Online content
Traveler
warren460  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
Your sample is biased and I assume based only on users of BB.

It’s not representative of anything. Given the statistically insignificant number of balls and users, you cant extrapolate anything.

The people on this forum likely have far more knowledge and insight than an occasional visitor to the bvi.

Extrapolating your sample is the same as saying there is so much demand for boatyball because it’s getting used.

That’s actually a function of the limited number of balls and nothing more.

The BVI does not need to be tailored to the infrequent users to the detriment of the rest of us.


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450
BVI Sponsors
Re: Boatyball [Re: warren460] #196032
05/26/2019 07:28 PM
05/26/2019 07:28 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by warren460
Your sample is biased and I assume based only on users of BB.

It’s not representative of anything. Given the statistically insignificant number of balls and users, you cant extrapolate anything.

The people on this forum likely have far more knowledge and insight than an occasional visitor to the bvi.

Extrapolating your sample is the same as saying there is so much demand for boatyball because it’s getting used.

That’s actually a function of the limited number of balls and nothing more.

The BVI does not need to be tailored to the infrequent users to the detriment of the rest of us.


+1

...round and round we go. Lack of supply...so everyone uses the new system which is hugely flawed...and the makers claim victory.

About the 6th time we've done this loop on the forum.

Bring back BEYC, Saba mooring fields...and cut loose the BBs to float Anywhere but here...and everything can go back to the pre-irma state that worked so well.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Alec Atteberry] #196034
05/26/2019 08:08 PM
05/26/2019 08:08 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 311
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 311
Washington DC
Originally Posted by Alec Atteberry
I shouldn’t have made my last statement. Let me clarify. There are way more than a couple of people that don’t like BoatyBall. And I fully understand that most of the people on this forum don’t have the fondest feelings for BoatyBall. I completely understand why and I enjoy the feedback. Believe it or not this site has probably helped us the most in determining what our plans are for the future. I also don’t take a lack of criticism to indicate support either. My statement was based in part on the number of critics present on this forum and the amount of positive feedback we’ve received elsewhere. I greatly appreciate the feedback from this site, but this forum isn’t exactly representative of the majority of the charter market in the BVI. I understand that we have our critics and our supporters among this site and elsewhere; my point was simply to counter the claim that the majority of boaters dislike BoatyBall.



Where might I find this positive feedback?

I would also be curious to find another forum with as much expertise as my colleagues here have as I would like to "follow" them as well. I would be curious to find a more inclusive and extensive sampling of the BVis then here as well so please enlighten me.

I called you on this statement once before as you recall....

Re: Boatyball [Re: agrimsrud] #196035
05/26/2019 08:10 PM
05/26/2019 08:10 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Online content
Traveler
warren460  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
So there you have it. Alec finally acknowledged "And I fully understand that most of the people on this forum don’t have the fondest feelings for BoatyBall."

Let's not forget how frequently Alec stressed that only a couple people on the forum did not like boatyball.

The implication, in my personal view, is That boatyball does not care about the views of the people that are in this forum the same people that have a strong passion for the bvi.

We are the frequent visitors to the bvi that share knowledge so that everyone can enjoy. We are the ones that may have boats in BVI charter fleets. We are the ones that promote the bvi with a passion. We are frequent visitors to and supporters of local establishments.

And in the eye of boatyball, we don't count.


Last edited by warren460; 05/26/2019 08:46 PM.

Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450
Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196036
05/26/2019 08:17 PM
05/26/2019 08:17 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,340
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,340
An island state of mind
Alec is a 19-year old kid and if he physically touches any of the Boaty Balls, he needs to have a trade licence.

Re: Boatyball [Re: warren460] #196037
05/26/2019 08:23 PM
05/26/2019 08:23 PM
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 59
Waco, Texas
A
Alec Atteberry Offline
Traveler
Alec Atteberry  Offline
Traveler
A
Joined: Nov 2018
Posts: 59
Waco, Texas
Originally Posted by warren460
So there you have it. Alec finally acknowledged "And I fully understand that most of the people on this forum don’t have the fondest feelings for BoatyBall."

Let's not forget how frequently Alec stressed that only a couple people on the forum did not like boatyball.

The implication, Alec and boatyball don't care about the views of the people that are in this forum the same people that have a strong passion for the bvi.

We are the frequent visitors to the bvi that share knowledge so that everyone can enjoy. We are the ones that may have boats in BVI charter fleets. We are the ones that promote the bvi with a passion. We are frequent visitors to and supporters of local establishments.

And in the eye of boatyball, we don't count.



Again I apologize for the comment I made earlier. But Warren, with all due respect I don’t understand how you could have inferred that from my previous comment; that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Re: Boatyball [Re: tradewinds] #196039
05/26/2019 08:26 PM
05/26/2019 08:26 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,575
VI,PR,NY,AZ
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,575
VI,PR,NY,AZ
Originally Posted by tradewinds
Alec is a 19-year old kid and if he physically touches any of the Boaty Balls, he needs to have a trade licence.


I don’t see where a trade license would be necessary if a Belonger hired BB as an internet Service company to handle their collections.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196040
05/26/2019 08:26 PM
05/26/2019 08:26 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Online content
Traveler
warren460  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
I did not infer anything. I quoted you. Unless my copy paste is not working, its verbatim.


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450
Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196041
05/26/2019 08:28 PM
05/26/2019 08:28 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Online content
Traveler
warren460  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
It might be necessary if he steps in the territory and carries on any bb activity such as he does when balls are installed. See page 10 of the 40 something page thread.

Last edited by warren460; 05/26/2019 08:30 PM.

Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450
Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196042
05/26/2019 09:02 PM
05/26/2019 09:02 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 338
Pittsburgh, PA
S
Schwendy Offline
Traveler
Schwendy  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 338
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know where the tally stands but put me in the category AGAINST BB! Is it now a majority against? People are using it out of panic! That is the only way I'd use BB. Hoping in October there will be no need at any of the anchorages and I think once people start chartering elsewhere like the USVI or Bahamas then the BVI politicians will eventually take notice. Or maybe not.



[Linked Image]

Re: Boatyball [Re: warren460] #196049
05/26/2019 11:13 PM
05/26/2019 11:13 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
T
turning54final Offline
Traveler
turning54final  Offline
Traveler
T
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by warren460
Your sample is biased and I assume based only on users of BB.

It’s not representative of anything. Given the statistically insignificant number of balls and users, you cant extrapolate anything.

The people on this forum likely have far more knowledge and insight than an occasional visitor to the bvi.

Extrapolating your sample is the same as saying there is so much demand for boatyball because it’s getting used.

That’s actually a function of the limited number of balls and nothing more.

The BVI does not need to be tailored to the infrequent users to the detriment of the rest of us.


My uneducated guess is that the amount of credit card captains and infrequent boaters in the BVI far exceeds those who are passionate and knowledgeable (i.e those who frequent this forum). Sorry to say but we’re in the minority.

BB will likely thrive so rather than beat a dead horse I’d suggest finding a way to exist with BB sticking around long term. It’s not something worth losing sleep over.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196050
05/27/2019 04:13 AM
05/27/2019 04:13 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Online content
Traveler
warren460  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
Alec and BB advise that boatyballs are insured. By who? What is the coverage and exclusions? Moor seacure maintains a large number of balls in the BVI. Are all of those insured or Just boatyball? I would love to get more information on this. He has advised that the insurance is not provided by boatyball but it’s through moor seacure. I wanted to reach out to moor seacure for particulars. I can’t find them on Facebook or the internet.

If you can’t find them, how would anyone ever put in a claim to the insurance company.

Can anyone provide contact information so that we can all understand the nature and extent of their coverage.

Last edited by warren460; 05/27/2019 04:19 AM.

Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450
Re: Boatyball [Re: warren460] #196068
05/27/2019 09:18 AM
05/27/2019 09:18 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Virgin Islands
B
BoatyBall Offline
Traveler
BoatyBall  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Virgin Islands
Warren – I am going to address this to you because you are one of the top posters on this forum and I know you are passionate about the BVI. I also know Alec has had private conversations with you and has answered several of your questions in private. Some questions and conversations just are not appropriate for a group discussion. I am directing this statement to you in hopes that we can have an honest conversation.

First off, Alec apologized for his comment and generalization that he made the other day. We all make mistakes and I hope you can understand that.

You responded to Alec and said, "Given the statistically insignificant number of balls and users, you can’t extrapolate anything." This goes both ways. The assumption that most boaters only use the app because they are forced to is also a generalization.

You also said in your previous post that "The BVI does not need to be tailored to the infrequent users to the detriment of the rest of us." This seems to be a common sentiment among several on this forum. However, that strikes me as an odd statement from someone who benefits off of those infrequent users. Most boaters are lucky if they can make it down to the BVI once or twice a year.

Several on this forum are fortunate enough to own boats that they charter out. Whether you like it or not, these infrequent visitors are the ones that charter your boats and help keep the economy going. How many of those infrequent boaters truly have the knowledge and skillset needed to captain a boat like Scuba Doo? Do you really want these infrequent captains that charter your boats dropping anchor in the middle of a mooring field like Christo observed the other day or tying up to a mooring that has not been checked in years?

It is pretty clear that the BVI government and businesses welcome these infrequent users and so do the charter companies. We can debate on if this is good or not for the BVI but I do not see this dynamic changing anytime soon which means we either embrace it or we do not. Regardless, I think we can all agree that there needs to be more moorings in the BVI so that people of all skillsets have a safe place to spend the night.

The most common complaint on this forum is that BoatyBall is converting existing moorings. Several have stated on this forum that if we added additional moorings that they would be supportive of the program. As we have stated numerous times, BoatyBall would like to see additional moorings in the BVI as well.

However, the choice to add additional moorings is not a BoatyBall decision. The local businesses are the one who have to apply for new moorings and then spend the money to pay for the taxes, hardware, maintenance, and insurance for the moorings. One of our goals at BoatyBall is to simplify and ensure the payment to the local businesses and make investing in moorings balls attractive for the locals.

The good news is that every mooring ball owner we are working with wants to add additional moorings. Adding additional moorings is an arduous process and takes time. However, after talking with the owners we are confident that boaters will be seeing additional moorings in some of the most popular bays over the next 12 – 18 months. Hopefully that is some good news for those on this forum.

To imply that "Alec and BoatyBall don't care about the views of the people that are in this forum" is not correct. We would not be engaged with this group and forum if we did not care. In fact, just the other day you encouraged BoatyBall to be more vocal on this forum.

You also indicated that you could support BoatyBall if we addressed a few items. One of those items was increased communication with this forum. We are committed to trying to engage this group and to continue to gather feedback from some of the most experienced boaters in the BVI.

You asked us to address our cancellations policy. You have stated that once a boater makes a reservation they might end up doing something not safe in order to try and keep a reservation. BoatyBall has a no cancellation policy; however, we are reasonable people and we have refunded every boater that has contacted us with a legitimate concern. If a boater contacts us with a safety concern we will ALWAYS refund them. Period!

The third item you said you would like for us to address is the need to be able to reserve multiple nights. This is a great suggestion and one that we are working on. We hope that by addressing these concerns that we will some day earn your support.

We do appreciate this forums feedback. Understanding your concerns have helped us make better decisions and changes to the app. We know we will never please everyone but we would like to try.

We do appreciate everyone’s feedback and we are listening.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196076
05/27/2019 09:42 AM
05/27/2019 09:42 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 311
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 311
Washington DC
you lost me at "honest"...my primary issue with you all is the service model as I have discussed with Alec privately but I am continuing to become more negative about the whole BB thing with the constant misleading and deceptive statements from you all. Your are severely undermining your credibility. It may or may not impact your business model but I am quite sure it will cause businesses to think twice about jumping in bed with you.

I actually believe that most boaters use the app because they have to in the main season with still reduced moorings. Evidence of this will only come in the off season with other moorings coming on line when you find the "boatyball hole" like I observed at Cooper a couple of weeks ago where all regular balls were taken and only a few BB balls were taken. Only time will tell if you are right or I am.

Who actually posts under BoatyBall moniker? Is this Alec under a different name?

I did go out and look for "positive reviews" and really only could find the Boaty Ball Facebook page with a few positive reviews (when you back out your family and Facebook friends) and 1 negative.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BoatyBall/reviews/?ref=page_internal

So I hope you fix your service model and if you all were actually credible with your statements I for one wouldnt be so down on BB.


Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196077
05/27/2019 10:53 AM
05/27/2019 10:53 AM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Panama City Beach, Florida
xrayman67 Offline
Traveler
xrayman67  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Panama City Beach, Florida
That was quite a long response from Boatyball directed towards Warren, but I saw nothing related to his question about Boatyballs insurance they keep emphasizing.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196078
05/27/2019 11:07 AM
05/27/2019 11:07 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,102
Colorado and Sailing the World
Maria_and_Steve Offline
Traveler
Maria_and_Steve  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,102
Colorado and Sailing the World
I think BoatyBall could be liked IF they start charging $20 for a mooring ball. That would be more in line with a start-up trying to get business and attract new users. But instead, it seems charging $40, which is above the going rate for a FCFS mooring ball is akin to typical extortion. Think about it BoatyBall.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196086
05/27/2019 01:42 PM
05/27/2019 01:42 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
I am from the UK. My credit card currency is GBP not USD.

To avoid getting buggered by my bank with the outrageous FX rate they apply and the international transaction fee on top...I carefully watch the market during the year and convert all the GBP I will need for my BVI holiday into USD cash well in advance.

My credit card doesn't get used once in the BVI. I use cash for everything. And I save a fortune by doing so.

...if I use a Boatyball, then I will have to use my credit card and pay the outrageous FX rate and international transaction fee every day.

So as a Brit...i have to pay way more than everyone else for the balls?! How is that fair?

With FCFS I get to use cash and its a level playing field...


Last edited by Christo; 05/27/2019 01:43 PM.
Re: Boatyball [Re: BoatyBall] #196087
05/27/2019 01:56 PM
05/27/2019 01:56 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by BoatyBall
Warren – I am going to address this to you because you are one of the top posters on this forum and I know you are passionate about the BVI. I also know Alec has had private conversations with you and has answered several of your questions in private. Some questions and conversations just are not appropriate for a group discussion. I am directing this statement to you in hopes that we can have an honest conversation.

First off, Alec apologized for his comment and generalization that he made the other day. We all make mistakes and I hope you can understand that.

You responded to Alec and said, "Given the statistically insignificant number of balls and users, you can’t extrapolate anything." This goes both ways. The assumption that most boaters only use the app because they are forced to is also a generalization.

You also said in your previous post that "The BVI does not need to be tailored to the infrequent users to the detriment of the rest of us." This seems to be a common sentiment among several on this forum. However, that strikes me as an odd statement from someone who benefits off of those infrequent users. Most boaters are lucky if they can make it down to the BVI once or twice a year.

Several on this forum are fortunate enough to own boats that they charter out. Whether you like it or not, these infrequent visitors are the ones that charter your boats and help keep the economy going. How many of those infrequent boaters truly have the knowledge and skillset needed to captain a boat like Scuba Doo? Do you really want these infrequent captains that charter your boats dropping anchor in the middle of a mooring field like Christo observed the other day or tying up to a mooring that has not been checked in years?

It is pretty clear that the BVI government and businesses welcome these infrequent users and so do the charter companies. We can debate on if this is good or not for the BVI but I do not see this dynamic changing anytime soon which means we either embrace it or we do not. Regardless, I think we can all agree that there needs to be more moorings in the BVI so that people of all skillsets have a safe place to spend the night.

The most common complaint on this forum is that BoatyBall is converting existing moorings. Several have stated on this forum that if we added additional moorings that they would be supportive of the program. As we have stated numerous times, BoatyBall would like to see additional moorings in the BVI as well.

However, the choice to add additional moorings is not a BoatyBall decision. The local businesses are the one who have to apply for new moorings and then spend the money to pay for the taxes, hardware, maintenance, and insurance for the moorings. One of our goals at BoatyBall is to simplify and ensure the payment to the local businesses and make investing in moorings balls attractive for the locals.

The good news is that every mooring ball owner we are working with wants to add additional moorings. Adding additional moorings is an arduous process and takes time. However, after talking with the owners we are confident that boaters will be seeing additional moorings in some of the most popular bays over the next 12 – 18 months. Hopefully that is some good news for those on this forum.

To imply that "Alec and BoatyBall don't care about the views of the people that are in this forum" is not correct. We would not be engaged with this group and forum if we did not care. In fact, just the other day you encouraged BoatyBall to be more vocal on this forum.

You also indicated that you could support BoatyBall if we addressed a few items. One of those items was increased communication with this forum. We are committed to trying to engage this group and to continue to gather feedback from some of the most experienced boaters in the BVI.

You asked us to address our cancellations policy. You have stated that once a boater makes a reservation they might end up doing something not safe in order to try and keep a reservation. BoatyBall has a no cancellation policy; however, we are reasonable people and we have refunded every boater that has contacted us with a legitimate concern. If a boater contacts us with a safety concern we will ALWAYS refund them. Period!

The third item you said you would like for us to address is the need to be able to reserve multiple nights. This is a great suggestion and one that we are working on. We hope that by addressing these concerns that we will some day earn your support.

We do appreciate this forums feedback. Understanding your concerns have helped us make better decisions and changes to the app. We know we will never please everyone but we would like to try.

We do appreciate everyone’s feedback and we are listening.


Warren may be one of the top posters and one of the most outspoken critics of Boatyball but his views are shared by a great many on this forum. Warren just chooses to put his head above the parapet and say what everyone else is thinking! And...as others keep pointing out, you are picking and choosing which of his questions to answer.

I think the overriding message we're getting from your/Alec's comments is "I hear what you say...but we're just going to carry on doing things how we think they should be done regardless". Or perhaps even... " yes the FCFS way has worked for decades and had no issues throughout the Caribbean...but as a bunch of out-of-towners who have been to the BVI a handful of times we know better, so let's make the whole of the BVI do it our way"

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196089
05/27/2019 02:08 PM
05/27/2019 02:08 PM
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
US
L
Lexington14 Offline
Traveler
Lexington14  Offline
Traveler
L
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
US
Just missed Boatyball in November ‘18 and don’t plan to use it next month when we return after reading stories of squatters on reserved balls. Reserving a ball at 7 am then spending hours stressing over whether I’m going to get into a verbal altercation with a squatter on my reserved ball is not for me. The fact that there is a bay manager to resolve disputes means that I’ll eventually get the ball but how much of my time will be wasted getting to that point. With my luck I’d be in Anegada circling the mooring field waiting for the squatters to return from Cow Wreck at the end of the day. Might as well just anchor and have a relaxing trip.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lexington14] #196090
05/27/2019 02:15 PM
05/27/2019 02:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by Lexington14
Just missed Boatyball in November ‘18 and don’t plan to use it next month when we return after reading stories of squatters on reserved balls. Reserving a ball at 7 am then spending hours stressing over whether I’m going to get into a verbal altercation with a squatter on my reserved ball is not for me. The fact that there is a bay manager to resolve disputes means that I’ll eventually get the ball but how much of my time will be wasted getting to that point. With my luck I’d be in Anegada circling the mooring field waiting for the squatters to return from Cow Wreck at the end of the day. Might as well just anchor and have a relaxing trip.


Not sure if it helps... but our experience was plenty of FCFS balls still available at Anegada. Provided you don't arrive late in the day.

We decided to anchor at Pomato Point. Great holding, beautiful place. Dean Wheatley's brother Sid has the restaurant right on the beach...which was superb. Sorry Potters...but Sid's was our favourite! And if you're hiring a jeep from Dean he will bring it right to you at Pomato Point.

...and spend the mooring fee at Cow Wreck! Or with Monica at Flash of Beauty...which has (I know this will be controversial) the best painkillers in the BVI. Something she does with lime...we tried to replicate it on the boat but couldn't. She is the painkiller-wizard.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #196093
05/27/2019 02:46 PM
05/27/2019 02:46 PM
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
US
L
Lexington14 Offline
Traveler
Lexington14  Offline
Traveler
L
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 10
US
We started anchoring in Anegada a few years back around the time when Neptune’s Treasure removed their mooring balls. Our experience has been the opposite of yours - most of the FCFS balls have been taken except for the ones closest to shore at a very shallow depth. We have actually seen boats come in the mooring field, look around, not find a ball, then leave rather than anchor. On our last trip when we were anchored we were hit at night by a Moorings cat dragging its anchor in the middle of a thunderstorm. We briefly considered Boatyball to avoid the cc captains that are forced to anchor in Anegada but we don’t think the possible hassle is worth it. I had read your earlier post about Pomato Point and appreciate the tip. We are counting the days......

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196096
05/27/2019 03:14 PM
05/27/2019 03:14 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Online content
Traveler
warren460  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
I am curious about the maintain part of boatyball. When a ball is converted to BB from FCFS is the sandscrew updated or is it the same old. In other words, are the balls merely swapped.


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450
Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196098
05/27/2019 03:26 PM
05/27/2019 03:26 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,183
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,183
GA/NC
I have a suggestion for boatyball. The thing I hate the most is losing the ability to use the balls for lunch stops. Change the reservation cycle to 2pm to 2 pm. If a boatyball is not occupied prior to 2 pm it can be used for a lunch stop or to swap out tanks ect..
G

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196099
05/27/2019 04:04 PM
05/27/2019 04:04 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2
J
JulieFL Offline
Member
JulieFL  Offline
Member
J
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2
I have chartered in the BVI about a dozen times but grew up boating In the Florida Keys and Bahamas. I personally have not used boatyball yet but plan to on my next BVI charter. Change is hard all around just look at the FL Keys and Bahamas. Sounds like if you don’t like it don’t use it. If you do then great! Instead of focusing negative energy at someone’s livelihood. Maybe focus on the fact that the BVI has banned plastic straws to save the turtles and marine life, but still allows turtle hunting. You’re welcome!

Happy Sailing!!

Re: Boatyball [Re: JulieFL] #196101
05/27/2019 04:16 PM
05/27/2019 04:16 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by JulieFL
I have chartered in the BVI about a dozen times but grew up boating In the Florida Keys and Bahamas. I personally have not used boatyball yet but plan to on my next BVI charter. Change is hard all around just look at the FL Keys and Bahamas. Sounds like if you don’t like it don’t use it. If you do then great! Instead of focusing negative energy at someone’s livelihood. Maybe focus on the fact that the BVI has banned plastic straws to save the turtles and marine life, but still allows turtle hunting. You’re welcome!

Happy Sailing!!


How annoying are the paper straws by the way?!!! After a few sips it's a mouthful of pulp!

...first world problems.

Re: Boatyball [Re: JulieFL] #196103
05/27/2019 04:37 PM
05/27/2019 04:37 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,340
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,340
An island state of mind
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be thanking you for. Please enlighten. hairy thanks

Re: Boatyball [Re: JulieFL] #196104
05/27/2019 04:37 PM
05/27/2019 04:37 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,575
VI,PR,NY,AZ
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,575
VI,PR,NY,AZ
Originally Posted by JulieFL
I have chartered in the BVI about a dozen times but grew up boating In the Florida Keys and Bahamas. I personally have not used boatyball yet but plan to on my next BVI charter. Change is hard all around just look at the FL Keys and Bahamas. Sounds like if you don’t like it don’t use it. If you do then great! Instead of focusing negative energy at someone’s livelihood. Maybe focus on the fact that the BVI has banned plastic straws to save the turtles and marine life, but still allows turtle hunting. You’re welcome!

Happy Sailing!!


I can see your upset about the discussion about BB and that your thoughts are that you must bow down to change like in Florida.
Florida by Caribbean standards is a Police state where people must submit and give up freedoms just because a few bureaucrats decide it’s better for you.
BTW Turtle hunting is done throughout the Caribbean although it’s illegal in some islands but it is definitely illegal in the USVI and BVI

Re: Boatyball [Re: xrayman67] #196106
05/27/2019 05:14 PM
05/27/2019 05:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Virgin Islands
B
BoatyBall Offline
Traveler
BoatyBall  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Virgin Islands
All of the moorings in the app are maintained and insured by Moor Seacure.

Re: Boatyball [Re: BoatyBall] #196107
05/27/2019 05:17 PM
05/27/2019 05:17 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by BoatyBall
All of the moorings in the app are maintained and insured by Moor Seacure.


So boats moor at their own risk?!

I thought your whole act was that what BB provided was better than Moor Seacure?!

...turns out it's exactly the same but with all the negative aspects you bring to the table!

Last edited by Christo; 05/27/2019 05:19 PM.
Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #196108
05/27/2019 05:39 PM
05/27/2019 05:39 PM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Virgin Islands
B
BoatyBall Offline
Traveler
BoatyBall  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 25
Virgin Islands
BoatyBall helps boaters identify which moorings are in a maintenance program and insured. Most bays in the BVI have a mix of maintained moorings and un maintained moorings. The app helps the local businesses that have invested in this maintenance and insurance to differentiate themselves from other mooring ball owners who have not invested in maintenance.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Lcrich] #196109
05/27/2019 06:19 PM
05/27/2019 06:19 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Online content
Traveler
warren460  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,908
Ontario, Canada
BoatyBall quote from above : "BoatyBall helps boaters identify which moorings are in a maintenance program and insured." How so? Boatyball in its app only identifies Boatyball moorings. Are there not other moorings in maintenance programs that are insured? Perhaps others offer moorings that are more robust and in better maintenance programs. Boatyball has not identified these, yet they likely do exist.

So, ,my suggestion to BB is that the app should include all balls, regardless of ownership that meet a reasonable standard of maintenance and insurance. To go one further, how about boatyball include in the app all balls with disclosure of the owners maintenance program and insurance offering or lack thereof. That would be helpful so that people would know what they are getting. Right?

Since the existence insurance and maintenance aspects are so important to the boatyball offering, I am asking again for transparent disclosure of such particulars.


Warren
S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 450
Re: Boatyball [Re: BoatyBall] #196111
05/27/2019 07:16 PM
05/27/2019 07:16 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by BoatyBall
BoatyBall helps boaters identify which moorings are in a maintenance program and insured. Most bays in the BVI have a mix of maintained moorings and un maintained moorings. The app helps the local businesses that have invested in this maintenance and insurance to differentiate themselves from other mooring ball owners who have not invested in maintenance.


So like Moorseacure have been doing for years?! So your business model is to actually reinvent the wheel?!

...it was turning just fine without you clowns.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #196112
05/27/2019 07:26 PM
05/27/2019 07:26 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,897
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,897
Central Florida!
OK, regardless of whether one agrees with their business model or not, let's not call anyone clowns here...


Carol Hill
Re: Boatyball [Re: Carol_Hill] #196113
05/27/2019 07:42 PM
05/27/2019 07:42 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
OK, regardless of whether one agrees with their business model or not, let's not call anyone clowns here...


Understood Carol and my apologies. Albeit, that was me being as reserved as I know how. Can you advise some vocab that would be appropriate to convey the full weight of my displeasure with these ####### without offending the more delicate sensibilities on the forum?

Or is sticking to ### the best way?!

Clownfish?

Ne'er-do-wells?

Rapscallions?

Grubs?

Hooligans?

Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #196114
05/27/2019 07:45 PM
05/27/2019 07:45 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,575
VI,PR,NY,AZ
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,575
VI,PR,NY,AZ
Post deleted by Carol Hill

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 05/28/2019 09:10 AM.
Re: Boatyball [Re: sail445] #196115
05/27/2019 07:47 PM
05/27/2019 07:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 322
Post deleted by Carol Hill

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 05/28/2019 09:11 AM.
Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #196116
05/27/2019 08:02 PM
05/27/2019 08:02 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,575
VI,PR,NY,AZ
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,575
VI,PR,NY,AZ
I’m sure Alec being young will have a very successful future, he has a very entrepreneurial spirit.
This venture he’s on is most probably going to be a success even though it goes against the ideology of most of us.
The object basically is to make collections secure which can be done with the old time system of FCFS where people pick their mooring and then pay for it online.

Re: Boatyball [Re: sail445] #196123
05/27/2019 09:15 PM
05/27/2019 09:15 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2
J
JulieFL Offline
Member
JulieFL  Offline
Member
J
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 2
http://www.bvi.gov.vg/sites/default/files/resources/bvi_marine_turtles.pdf

This is a link to the turtle regulations in the BVI including the dates for open and closed hunting season and what types of turtles you can hunt.

Re: Boatyball [Re: JulieFL] #196125
05/27/2019 09:27 PM
05/27/2019 09:27 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,340
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,340
An island state of mind
So, please explain what your helpful link has to do with Boatyball.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #196126
05/27/2019 09:28 PM
05/27/2019 09:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
T
turning54final Offline
Traveler
turning54final  Offline
Traveler
T
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by Christo
Originally Posted by BoatyBall
BoatyBall helps boaters identify which moorings are in a maintenance program and insured. Most bays in the BVI have a mix of maintained moorings and un maintained moorings. The app helps the local businesses that have invested in this maintenance and insurance to differentiate themselves from other mooring ball owners who have not invested in maintenance.


So like Moorseacure have been doing for years?! So your business model is to actually reinvent the wheel?!

...it was turning just fine without you clowns.



Perhaps your issue should be with the mooring owner rather than Boatyball?

In my opinion, those who own the moorings should be able to do what they want with them, whether thats leaving them as the traditional FCFS moorings or having the option of using Boatyball.

Watching you guys have an aneurysm over this is quite entertaining.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1