Member Spotlight
Leagle49
Leagle49
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (Time Will Tell, RickinAtlanta, pandpfromcanada, eightzerobits, xrayman67, CaribbeanCanadians, duckfat, boucharda, davidandsusannj, kaba, mark37, MamaB, caribbeangirl13, Swifty, Jeannius, Chaseec, sailingbob, WWII, taraavo, Snorkeller, ColoBoater, Brian&Andi, candu, PML, MrEZgoin, Todd_Melinda_K, bostonbob, UncleLuff, timnboston, MKGrey, charlie, Travel Talker, 12 invisible), 1,021 guests, and 68 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Post MIA C&I Pre Check #196494
06/01/2019 09:47 PM
06/01/2019 09:47 PM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
Not that there's really anyting I can do about it other that take a few chill pills, but after you clear C&I in MIA, do they now offer a Pre Check line? Our last two trips through there just disgorged everyone into the same re-entry line, with no Pre Check or Elite lines. Absolutely only a First World problem, but its just MIA tends to be a too sudden jarring return from a relaxing vacation.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: cruzer] #196521
06/02/2019 12:08 PM
06/02/2019 12:08 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Hi. I moved this here, as unfortunately the SXM People Talk forum gets almost no reads these days. frown Don't know the answer to your question, as when we fly to Miami, that is our final destination. I'm sure someone here will know though.

Carol Hill
Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: cruzer] #196525
06/02/2019 12:58 PM
06/02/2019 12:58 PM
CaribLee Offline
Traveler
CaribLee  Offline
Traveler
They do funnel you into a security recheck but it is a lot better than it used to be. It appears this line is only for those that have cleared C&I. It used to be you had to walk much further and get in security lines for all passengers (both those clearing C&I and all other passengers). It was a zoo. Because the numbers are smaller (C&I only), they apparently don't see the need for a dedicated precheck line (and I tend to agree). However, for those with precheck, they handed us red cards to hand to security so we didn't have to remove shoes, belts, etc. We made it through very quickly. Hope this helps.

Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: cruzer] #196540
06/02/2019 04:33 PM
06/02/2019 04:33 PM
F
Fletch Offline
Traveler
Fletch  Offline
Traveler
F
When you exit the Customs Hall at MIA and follow the signs for "Connecting Flights" you'll be directed to a TSA Checkpoint for Terminal D that DOES NOT have Pre-check. Our experience has always been that if you ask one of the attendants or airport personnel where the nearest "Pre-check line is located they will plead ignorance or tell you it is not operating that day.

Don't believe them. You have two options: You can exit the terminal and proceeds to the upper level and walk (toward your left) to the TSA Checkpoint for Terminal E - it's right opposite the registration desk for the MIA Airport Hotel and only about a 3 minute walk from where you exit the the Customs Hall - it's a little confusing because they have the direct route closed off but you can get there quickly by going down one level and back up again. We've hardly ever encountered any long lines for Pre-Check at this checkpoint. Your other option is to go to Checkpoint 2 in Terminal D (just passed the ticketing counters near Gates 23 and 24 if I remember correctly). It's about a 10 minute walk (to your left) when exiting the Customs Hall. The TSA pre-check line there moves relatively quickly but can be crowded.

Last edited by Fletch; 06/02/2019 04:35 PM.
Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: Fletch] #196541
06/02/2019 04:48 PM
06/02/2019 04:48 PM
CaribLee Offline
Traveler
CaribLee  Offline
Traveler
Originally Posted by Fletch
When you exit the Customs Hall at MIA and follow the signs for "Connecting Flights" you'll be directed to a TSA Checkpoint for Terminal D that DOES NOT have Pre-check. Our experience has always been that if you ask one of the attendants or airport personnel where the nearest "Pre-check line is located they will plead ignorance or tell you it is not operating that day.

Don't believe them. You have two options: You can exit the terminal and proceeds to the upper level and walk (toward your left) to the TSA Checkpoint for Terminal E - it's right opposite the registration desk for the MIA Airport Hotel and only about a 3 minute walk from where you exit the the Customs Hall - it's a little confusing because they have the direct route closed off but you can get there quickly by going down one level and back up again. We've hardly ever encountered any long lines for Pre-Check at this checkpoint. Your other option is to go to Checkpoint 2 in Terminal D (just passed the ticketing counters near Gates 23 and 24 if I remember correctly). It's about a 10 minute walk (to your left) when exiting the Customs Hall. The TSA pre-check line there moves relatively quickly but can be crowded.

Fletch--not sure when you last cleared customs at Miami but the experience I related above was less than a month ago (May 8). This was the first time they had ever handed us a red card if we had precheck (perhaps something they have recently started). Even without precheck, the lines were very short and it would have taken longer to walk to the dedicated precheck line than go through the C&I security checkpoint. Admittedly, this was on a Wednesday and perhaps weekends could be worse. But the two or three times I have gone through this checkpoint, it has never been much of a wait. I would only go elsewhere if you encountered long lines at the C&I checkpoint.

Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: cruzer] #196557
06/03/2019 04:20 AM
06/03/2019 04:20 AM
F
Fletch Offline
Traveler
Fletch  Offline
Traveler
F
<<...Fletch--not sure when you last cleared customs at Miami...>>

My last pass through I&C at MIA was on a Friday (around 6:00PM) in mid-September - the line at the TSA Checkpoint just to left of the Customs Hall was "out the door" and even though there was a TSA Pre-Check sign at the entrance the attendant said it was closed (and feigned ignorance of other locations). The so called "red card" line was only slightly shorter - had to be close to 50 or 75 people in front of us. We went to the TSA Checkpoint at Terminal E (took us less than 3 or 4 minutes) and were the only ones there besides the TSA officers. Went through in a flash. Have done this numerous times before with similar results.

Glad you had a better experience. Making an International Connection at MIA can sometimes be a nightmare.

Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: cruzer] #196559
06/03/2019 05:57 AM
06/03/2019 05:57 AM
East Haven, CT
Wingman Offline
Traveler
Wingman  Offline
Traveler
East Haven, CT
As someone mentioned before, the last time I went through Miami, the first set of check in points did not have pre-check. We kept walking to the next check in area and there was pre-check there. It wasn't that far of a walk, but it would've been nice to have pre-check at all check in points.

Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: cruzer] #196567
06/03/2019 09:10 AM
06/03/2019 09:10 AM
CT,USA
DICKG Offline
Traveler
DICKG  Offline
Traveler
CT,USA
Miami is the worst airport for people arriving from out of the US . We used to fly through Miami all the time now we avoid it . It also would help if some of the people who work there spoke English

Last edited by DICKG; 06/03/2019 09:12 AM.
Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: cruzer] #196573
06/03/2019 09:41 AM
06/03/2019 09:41 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Wish I could answer that but we didn't go through security till next morning yesterday for out return. D terminal does have pre at the entrance.

Re: Post MIA C&I Pre Check [Re: cruzer] #196582
06/03/2019 12:29 PM
06/03/2019 12:29 PM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
Thanks for the inputs--I'll take a chill pill, and play it by ear. Our first pass through last year had numerous C&I exits leading after a short walk to Security. Last time though, I seem to recall exiting C&I and immediately being in the security line. Not having pre-check then didn't matter as we had received the dreaded SSSS and couldn't avail ourselves of PreCheck in any case. While I could have booked via CLT instead of MIA, we get an extra 2 hours in SXM returning via MIA, so the extra time on island is worth the hassle of MIA.