Member Spotlight
Whale Tail
Whale Tail
Ontario Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MNsnowbird, cacapasa, 1 invisible), 809 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! #213165
01/06/2020 05:00 PM
01/06/2020 05:00 PM
M
Mariag Offline OP
Traveler
Mariag  Offline OP
Traveler
M
Hello. I’m new to this forum although I’ve read many of the threads pertaining to BVI. My significant other and I are chartering a 38 ft (mono) from BVI charter out of Roadtown. This will be our 3rd time doing this, although it’s been 4 years and there is much we can’t remember! As we are older, this will sadly be our last time doing this..at least just the two of us. My questions are: is Cooper Island doable for a first night mooring? We have done Norman Island first in the past, but would like to change it up a little. Briefing is at 10:30, so that means we usually can’t leave before Noon. Second ninght, Marina Cay. Nights 3 and 4 at Leverick. Seeing as we can never get a mooring by the baths, we’ve opted to stay longer and taxi to the baths. Next question: leverick to JVD. Is it doable in a day? We’ve never stopped at Little JVD and thought maybe we would try that. We do want to spend an evening at Great Harbour JVD. Our last evening 1/30 would like to spend at Norman. As you can see, there is a gap and would welcome any and all recommendations and suggestions for our itinerary. I feel we missed out on a lot on our 2 previous trips. This forum has been so helpful, but I’m afraid of making the same mistakes again. The charter company really wasn’t helpful about itineraries when we asked last time. I thank you in advance and again, I welcome your input!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213167
01/06/2020 05:21 PM
01/06/2020 05:21 PM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Hi there! Welcome!

I can offer you some insight as my husband and I have sailed the 38 from BVIYC! They are FUN! And fast for smaller boats. Since you are starting your charter on a Thursday, you’ll be off the regular routine so you might have a better shot at a mooring at Cooper if you head out right after the briefing. I know that boatyball has a bunch there now, but hopefully you should still have success. My advice would be to choose an outer ball since the wind can get wonky in there and you can end up staring down a big cat in the middle of the night. It can be rolly there in the wrong conditions.

Leverick to JVD will be LONG and a lot downwind but it is certainly do-able - will take you some time but you could stop off at Diamond Cay and visit Taboo and BeeLine.

Which 38 do you have? We have Arun in May! They are great boats for 2! You can leave the double doors to the V berth open the whole time and it’s like a big studio :-)

[Linked Image]

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213170
01/06/2020 06:39 PM
01/06/2020 06:39 PM
M
Mariag Offline OP
Traveler
Mariag  Offline OP
Traveler
M
Thank you for your response. Yes...we will be on Arun! Would you recommend a stop between Leverick and JVD? If so, where? Have you ever stopped at Little JVD? I’m so excited...and nervous. Mostly because I have a heck of a time snagging pennants..lol

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213172
01/06/2020 06:53 PM
01/06/2020 06:53 PM
Bradenton, FL
Winterstale Offline
Traveler
Winterstale  Offline
Traveler
Bradenton, FL
Take the helm and have your husband hook the ball. We find it works better that way. I tend to not approach the ball going 10 knots....hahahaha

I would actually save Marina Cay for between Leverick and JVD.

If you sail from Cooper up to Leverick, head out on a starboard tack from Cooper outside the Dogs - as though you are sailing to Anegada - sail up so you line up with Necker and then tack again and sail to the opening of North Sound - if you have some good wind, it is a GREAT sail!

Take pics of her for me, will you?? The pictures on line are of either “That Way” or.....”Honeymoon Suite”....she was the one we sailed and was lost to Irma, sadly.

[Linked Image]

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213178
01/06/2020 08:30 PM
01/06/2020 08:30 PM
M
Mariag Offline OP
Traveler
Mariag  Offline OP
Traveler
M
Thank you for the great suggestions! I will definitely take pics of her for you! We’ve checked out the new 38.1 here in our home marina..they’re gorgeous!

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213203
01/07/2020 09:28 AM
01/07/2020 09:28 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
No plans to go to Anegada?

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213208
01/07/2020 09:55 AM
01/07/2020 09:55 AM
Toledo, OH, USA
Orange_Burst Offline
Traveler
Orange_Burst  Offline
Traveler
Toledo, OH, USA
Little Harbor, JVD - the harbor is very quite, never an issue getting a mooring ball. We love Cynthia at Harris's place. Her lobster dinners, bushwhackers and pies are all to die for!

We also enjoy shopping at Sydney's Peace and Love. The ladies are sweet.

Abe's is on the other side of the bay from Harris's and Sydney's. Very good lobster here. I haven't eaten there in many years, but I hear it is still very good.

Colleen

[Linked Image]

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: ndfaninnc] #213221
01/07/2020 11:37 AM
01/07/2020 11:37 AM
M
Mariag Offline OP
Traveler
Mariag  Offline OP
Traveler
M
No. No plans for Anegada. Not sure why..maybe because it was considered off limits by charter companies for so many years and rough seas for me are sometimes an issue..even with a patch. Could I be swayed to reconsider? Possibly.

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213226
01/07/2020 12:12 PM
01/07/2020 12:12 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Originally Posted by Mariag
No. No plans for Anegada. Not sure why..maybe because it was considered off limits by charter companies for so many years and rough seas for me are sometimes an issue..even with a patch. Could I be swayed to reconsider? Possibly.

This months winds will be picking up in a about two days with winds from 20-35 mph and it should last at least till the end of the month which means higher seas then normal and would make the passage to Anegada pretty bumpy.
Have you tried ginger for your sea sickness ? It helps a lot of people, just sprinkle it on your food for a few days before you charter.

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Orange_Burst] #213233
01/07/2020 12:48 PM
01/07/2020 12:48 PM
Houston, Texas
louismcc Offline
Traveler
louismcc  Offline
Traveler
Houston, Texas
Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
Little Harbor, JVD - the harbor is very quite, never an issue getting a mooring ball. ...

Abe's is on the other side of the bay from Harris's and Sydney's. Very good lobster here. I haven't eaten there in many years, but I hear it is still very good.

We ate at Abe's 07/2018 as it was the only place open post-Irma. Lobster was excellent. They had created a makeshift restaurant out of the surviving buildings and were in the process of rebuilding the restaurant, which is now open. Looking forward to a return in July.

Little Harbour reminds me of The Bight back in the early 80s (no Willy T, restaurants or mooring balls) in that it is so quiet with the main sound being the goats on the hillside. Not the party place of Great Harbour or White Bay but a great stop.

Louis from Houston
Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: sail445] #213234
01/07/2020 01:18 PM
01/07/2020 01:18 PM
M
Mariag Offline OP
Traveler
Mariag  Offline OP
Traveler
M
Thank you for the great info. Not looking forward to the higher winds 😢
We have stopped at Little Harbor in the past. Loved it! Such an interesting story but sad story about Harris.

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213240
01/07/2020 02:16 PM
01/07/2020 02:16 PM
Ottawa, Canada
UncleLuff Offline
Traveler
UncleLuff  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Canada
Just a few points, although it has been a few years since the BVI's. The first time we did BVI's we made our first stop at Cooper island and had to race a power cat to the last available mooring ball. Some how we beat em! When we hooked up I noticed that the painter was frayed and only hanging on by literally a thread. We talked it over, the crew really wanted to make Cooper our first stop but I was not comfortable leaving the boat attached to a painter in that condition, so no chance we were staying unless a ball freed up. Luckily the time was around noon and the mooring field was full of either boats that had stayed the night and were leaving later for their next destination or boats that only stopped for lunch. We were then able to snatch a more securing mooring ball. The mooring field then filled up again pretty quickly and I noticed that a big catamaran took the mooring ball that we vacated.... not sure about the competency or that captain! All that to stay arriving at noon might not be to your advantage, you may have better luck arriving around 1:00 or 2:00...

Second point: if Cooper island mooring field is full, head down wind to Peter island. We stayed in Great harbor, the first night off the docks on our second trip and really enjoyed it. lots of mooring balls, you can anchor as well on the north east part of the bay if you want to practice your anchoring skills. The only disadvantage is no bar or restaurant now with Peter island resort closed... Good luck!

PS. just wanted to add we have done the Leverick to JVD sail a couple of times. Took us about 4 hours, a lot longer than it looks. The first time we stopped off of Monkey point for lunch and a snorkel. the second time we stopped at sandy spit on Little JVD... Very doable! and a nice sail on a run/ broad reach.

Last edited by UncleLuff; 01/07/2020 02:20 PM.
Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: UncleLuff] #213242
01/07/2020 02:42 PM
01/07/2020 02:42 PM
Toledo, OH, USA
Orange_Burst Offline
Traveler
Orange_Burst  Offline
Traveler
Toledo, OH, USA
[quote=
Second point: if Cooper island mooring field is full, head down wind to Peter island. We stayed in Great harbor, the first night off the docks on our second trip and really enjoyed it. lots of mooring balls, you can anchor as well on the north east part of the bay if you want to practice your anchoring skills. The only disadvantage is no bar or restaurant now with Peter island resort closed... Good luck!.[/quote]

I have read that Oceans 7 is open again. We never have eaten there, but we had a fun time at the bar.

Colleen

[Linked Image]

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213297
01/07/2020 10:56 PM
01/07/2020 10:56 PM
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
caribbeangirl13 Offline
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Offline
Traveler
First of all, please don't talk yourself into this being your last trip just the 2 of you, although live it like it is! Hopefully, you will be back, just keep a positive attitude. I realize that there might be extenuating circumstances that I don't know about but I just lost my mom in June and I felt like even when she was physically super healthy she talked herself into being old and not able to do things and she missed out on a lot of fun! And, if you really think it is going to be your last trip, go to Anegada!

If you really want to go to Cooper the first night, without "getting of the dock quickly" stress, use Boaty Ball. Yes, I know...controversial to many reading this post but it did help us when we were there over Thanksgiving week. Luckily I had gotten online right at 7am and booked a Boaty Ball at Cooper for our first night. It was nice to know we had a place to tie up when we got off the dock later than we usually do. It also lets you really learn the boat without rushing. If that doesn't work you could go to Cooper and if they are full go to Norman that first night rather than last.

If you don't do Anegada I agree with Winterstale, use Marina Cay as a halfway stop between Leverick and JVD. The next day check out Diamond Cay, Little Jost on your way to White Harbor or Great Harbor.

You actually don't need 2 nights in Leverick to be able to rent a car and go to the Baths. We have always just gotten up super early the day we go to Leverick (this last trip we went from Cooper to Leverick and got to Leverick by 10:00am) and have a car waiting for us there. Rental companies will bring them to you and pick them up. We had plenty of time to explore the island and get the car back by 6pm. You can even keep it longer if you want and have dinner in town.

Here is one of my favorite itineraries...

1/23: Cooper
1/24: Marina Cay
1/25: Leverick and rental car to the Baths
1/26: Anegada (We always rent a car here because it is cheaper for us when we have our kids. For just 2 you could always rent a moped. Rental is so much cheaper than a cab and you are on your own time and can check out multiple beaches. We like Cow Wreck and Anegada Beach Club but if you have never been there definitely check out Loblolly too.)
1/27: Anegada if you want 2 days. We usually only have time for 1 day.
1/28: Diamond Cay, Jost Van Dyke. Check out B Line, Sandy Spit and Foxy's Taboo
1/29: White Bay or Great Harbor (If the weather is good we like to stay the whole day and night in White Bay but many people prefer to overnight in Great Harbor instead.)
1/30: Norman Island
1/31: Return the boat

Of course all weather dependent and how you feel that morning!

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213316
01/08/2020 09:29 AM
01/08/2020 09:29 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Here is one of my favorite itineraries...

1/23: Cooper
1/24: Marina Cay
1/25: Leverick and rental car to the Baths
1/26: Anegada (We always rent a car here because it is cheaper for us when we have our kids. For just 2 you could always rent a moped. Rental is so much cheaper than a cab and you are on your own time and can check out multiple beaches. We like Cow Wreck and Anegada Beach Club but if you have never been there definitely check out Loblolly too.)
1/27: Anegada if you want 2 days. We usually only have time for 1 day.
1/28: Diamond Cay, Jost Van Dyke. Check out B Line, Sandy Spit and Foxy's Taboo
1/29: White Bay or Great Harbor (If the weather is good we like to stay the whole day and night in White Bay but many people prefer to overnight in Great Harbor instead.)
1/30: Norman Island
1/31: Return the boat

Of course all weather dependent and how you feel that morning!

I like this itinerary. I would find it very difficult to go to the BVI without a day or two at Anegada. But I am a little biased. But of course weather.......

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213327
01/08/2020 10:46 AM
01/08/2020 10:46 AM
Dana Point
C
captdennyj Offline
Traveler
captdennyj  Offline
Traveler
C
Dana Point
just FYI:

Last two week BVI sailing vacation we had another fantastic great time. The BVI just keeps on, keeping on.

Different on this trip: ( # 17 ) :

At Leverick we timed it for the friday night pool side bbq, band, dancing, and the Moko Jumbies and also had a taxi up to the Bathes that was also a pleasant tour as well. ( top o the baths after climbing and gong thru the Baths and Boulders. )

This trip was the first time that we reserved a slip in the LEVERICK BAY MARINA, and that worked out great. No boaty ball b.s, or concern over an open FSFS mooring. Easy acecss and dock personnel to greet us. and land showers, ice, fuel, grocery store, pool, restaurant, bar, and taxi. Life made easy, Not all that more expensive than a mooring. Zero hassels or dinking back and forth , etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nanny Cay: Tortola"

Also, just FYI, a great protected marina, first time getting slip at Nanny Cay in the new harbor area. Very nice, pleasant, friendly, great times ashore, and taxi to Brandywine for my birthday dinner.( very special in all categories ). At Nanny Cay we partied down at Peglegs, along with the pool and the beach, and easy access to trash disposal, and very helpful and friendly staff at office and docks for filling the fresh water tanks.

I like your itinerary, and now we hear the Willy T is back at Norman Island. Great for last night and then snorkel the Indians and Pelican in the morning and , have breakfast and sail back to tortola to return the boat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diamond Cay, and Foxy's Taboo.....they have put in new boaty ball moorings, that takes away from the FCFS moorings, but no worries, we found an open mooring in front of the B Line,, and Erica really likes
Foxy's Taboo so we dinked over there for dinner.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Canegarden was great,and we picked non cruise ship bus days, so the beach was peaceful. Also, new to us, was the BANANA on the frontage road just across the road from the beach side bars and restaurants. Very new, and classy,and super food and service. Quality everything. If this is going to be your last trip, you might check them out for a special dinner. And Quitos for Happy Hour and also a stop at Myettes.... we had two weeks so no big hurries going on.

Just a couple of ideas for your BVI vacation post Irma.

Note, we also sail as a couple, and had a Jeanneau 36i, out of Conch Charters......your 38 should be perfect for the two of you.

Enjoy

Denny and Erica

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: caribbeangirl13] #213373
01/08/2020 08:10 PM
01/08/2020 08:10 PM
M
Mariag Offline OP
Traveler
Mariag  Offline OP
Traveler
M
Thank you. I sincerely appreciate the input! This is awesome!

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: ndfaninnc] #213498
01/10/2020 09:14 AM
01/10/2020 09:14 AM
K
KellyJo Offline
Traveler
KellyJo  Offline
Traveler
K
Been wanting to check itineraries so this post is great! What do you all suggest for a captain chartered power boat for six peeps, however, only 5 nights? We would definitely like to try Anegada, The Baths, and for sure JVD.

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213519
01/10/2020 11:06 AM
01/10/2020 11:06 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
I personally would skip Anegada with only 5 nights. I would hit Peter/Cooper for night one. Baths then Leverick for Beans show night two. Monkey point on to CGB for night 3. JVD night 4 with day spent at White Bay. Norman or Peter for the last night with day stop at Indians.
George

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213582
01/11/2020 11:26 AM
01/11/2020 11:26 AM
K
KellyJo Offline
Traveler
KellyJo  Offline
Traveler
K
Thanks George for input! Wish we can stay longer than five nights, but better than none. Our group of six really would like to see Anegada. We get to spend the night on our boat 4/3 so hopefully we can provision and get the boat run down that night. Then we can leave early Saturday to Anegada. We have a power boat and a captain. We would also like to see The Baths and JVD is a must. What order do you all suggest we see these places? And what other places would be a good stop? Like the Peter Island/Indians idea. We have to return boat on 4/9/20.

Thanks again for help!
Kelly

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: KellyJo] #213583
01/11/2020 11:50 AM
01/11/2020 11:50 AM
Panama City Beach, Florida
xrayman67 Offline
Traveler
xrayman67  Offline
Traveler
Panama City Beach, Florida
Originally Posted by KellyJo
Thanks George for input! Wish we can stay longer than five nights, but better than none. Our group of six really would like to see Anegada. We get to spend the night on our boat 4/3 so hopefully we can provision and get the boat run down that night. Then we can leave early Saturday to Anegada. We have a power boat and a captain. We would also like to see The Baths and JVD is a must. What order do you all suggest we see these places? And what other places would be a good stop? Like the Peter Island/Indians idea. We have to return boat on 4/9/20.

Thanks again for help!
Kelly

With a power cat, Anegada should be doable. No problem.

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: Mariag] #213587
01/11/2020 12:55 PM
01/11/2020 12:55 PM
Naples
N
nevar37 Offline
Traveler
nevar37  Offline
Traveler
N
Naples
The restaurant at Marina Cay is no longer operated by Pusser's, check with Abbie at BVIYC for more info regarding the moorings, water, ice and fuel.

Re: Help with Itinerary 1/23-1/31 please! [Re: KellyJo] #213654
01/11/2020 09:09 PM
01/11/2020 09:09 PM
caribbeangirl13 Offline
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Offline
Traveler
I think it is doable since you are on a power boat. We only had 6 nights in November and were able to get it all in without feeling rushed. My kids actually thought it was the best one yet! We decided that rest time was for passages, except for the person on watch of course. You have a captain so that's his job! smile

4/4: Cooper (get on Boaty Ball in the morning see if you can reserve a ball)
4/5: Leverick (get up early and have a car reserved and ready for you in Leverick when you get there)
4/6: Anegada (as I said previously, I recommend renting a car so you can see more of the island.
4/7: Jost
4/8: Norman or Cane Garden Bay (agree with George of a stop at Indians, we also checked out the caves in November, which we hadn't done in years and it was pretty cool)
4/9: Return boat

We have also done Anegada to Diamond Cay and then White Bay/Great Harbor the next day and returned the boat from Jost rather than Norman the last night. Diamond Cay is fun with B-Line, Foxy's Taboo (like this way more than Foxy's now) and Sandy Spit.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]