Member Spotlight
casailor53
casailor53
Rincón PR
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (BillB42, Tonythepilot, johndana274, lcote, Uksimonusa, MKGrey, Rbailey, louismcc, RonDon, Time Will Tell, John, nevar37, RickG, ColoBoater, tpcook, Fred, OceanSong, taraavo, Alltech63, hokiesailor, charlie, mark37, JeanneB, PML, Kevin_B, deliveryskipper, KirkB, ericlut, MrEZgoin, metsfan1, pburke40, 13 invisible), 958 guests, and 69 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Captains Briefing #222371
03/22/2020 09:47 AM
03/22/2020 09:47 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline OP
Traveler
bailau  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Washington DC
While we are socially distancing and on hold with visiting the BVIs I thought some of you could help me with my Captain's briefing...always looking to get better and would welcome any thoughts or ideas or adds....

Captains Briefing
1) Life Jackets-where are they? Life Boat. Tie a life jacket to back railing
2) Emergency equipment-VHF (Channel 16) flares, fire extinguishers. VISAR is rescue team.
3) Man Overboard Drill-Shout, Throw & Point. Don’t take your eyes of the person in the water. CONSTANT EYE CONTACT. Throw the life ring in and the life jacket in.
4) Always count heads…can you count to “10”
5) Securing safety railings at all times…holding yourself in back. If peeing while moving arm around support pole and someone on watch
6) One hand for you one for the boat…when we moor or dock or leave mooring if you aren’t doing anything for the boat stay seated and if it doesn’t involve the boat or boat safety don’t talk to me. Use hand rails at all times. Don’t carry something onto the boat or dinghy. 1st person cross and then hand gear.
7) Tank water is for bathing ONLY
8) Head (toilet) operation & red-light location…if it doesn’t come out of you it doesn’t go down the toilet
9) Stay hydrated-if you aren’t peeing you aren’t drinking enough
10) No night swimming-Rule of 3 wherever you go
11) Mooring-3 people up front. 1 on port line and 1 on starboard and one in middle with boat hook. Lines need go under rail and through eyehook and then brought back and tied. Manning the boat hook to pick up the mooring painter eye hook. Communicate with captain. DO NOT GET BETWEEN BOAT and anything HARD...no human fenders.
12) Docking-people on lines and people on fenders. Hold fender line at right height. Don’t use your body or any other part between boat and dock. Don’t push off the dock hard and fast and don’t pull a rope hard and fast. If I need you to snug a line wrap around cleat once and hold. Simple Cleat hitch knot….
13) Fire-Get everyone up and out.
14) Gas line – Light and breaker. If gas on one person must stay with oven/burner.
15) Everyone is a lookout for boats and anything else
16) Dinghy-stay on sides and not in front. Shift lever. One person hold dinghy rope (painter) tight while others boarding. Dinghy needs to be tied down on elevator. Dinghy kill switch. Dinghy tilt engine. Colored bags on dinghy
17) If you stay below while moving and you get seasick you will be a boating buzzkill. Stay ahead of any potential seasickness
18) Get enough sleep…if you need eyemask bring it. No ear plugs. Any relevant medical conditions?
19) Social media-be smart about being dumb. It is forever. Switch off data on phone
20) Questions…ask ask ask…don’t be shy and don’t wait. If there is something I should know let me know….if you need something let me know.

Thanks in advance...

BVI Sponsors
Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222375
03/22/2020 10:07 AM
03/22/2020 10:07 AM
Ontario, Canada
H
henryv Offline
Traveler
henryv  Offline
Traveler
H
Ontario, Canada
Suggest to add: If going forward while underway always walk on the windward side so that the wind will try to keep you on the boat.

Henryv
Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222457
03/22/2020 05:48 PM
03/22/2020 05:48 PM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline
Traveler
Somewhere out there
If you drink beer, refill the fridge or it will quickly have no cold beer.
Keep all the mixers and booze in fridge or freezer, so you don't have as much demand for ice.
If you stick your finger in the water around the boat and it tastes salty, there are sharks.

Mike
Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222484
03/22/2020 08:13 PM
03/22/2020 08:13 PM
Va Beach
Kmon Offline
Traveler
Kmon  Offline
Traveler
Va Beach
For # 3: Don’t take your eyes OFF the person in the water

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222487
03/22/2020 08:23 PM
03/22/2020 08:23 PM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
I like to ask everyone if they know how to swim, it gets their attention and they get more out of the rest of the briefing, plus I want to know who can't swim (rare) but they'll be wearing a pfd a higher percentage of the time

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222495
03/22/2020 08:51 PM
03/22/2020 08:51 PM
S
Shifty Offline
Traveler
Shifty  Offline
Traveler
S
Great topic Bailau. I’m sure most of us have been fortunate enough to avoid serious incidents, and that starts with a sober conversation on the front end. I like your approach.

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222518
03/23/2020 09:07 AM
03/23/2020 09:07 AM
Virgin Gorda, BVI
V
VirginGordaResident Offline
Traveler
VirginGordaResident  Offline
Traveler
V
Virgin Gorda, BVI
I'd add: How to properly use the VHF radio. For the BVI for example, Hail on 16 and then switch to another channel.

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222529
03/23/2020 09:55 AM
03/23/2020 09:55 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
If safety is a true concern someone who can handle the boat needs to remain reasonably sober. I assisted a powercat that had run over and snagged a national park buoy at 3 in the afternoon at the Indians. Everyone on the boat was high to the point they could barely function. I got them untangled but the ball was destroyed and their prop and sail drive damaged. Told them they needed to return to the base for repairs but they blasted off for the bight instead. I do mean blasted despite being told they had a damaged prop.
G

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222530
03/23/2020 09:59 AM
03/23/2020 09:59 AM
patterson,ny
W
wizoc Offline
Traveler
wizoc  Offline
Traveler
W
patterson,ny
Don’t touch any of the equipment without permission even if you think you know what you are doing!

Last edited by wizoc; 03/23/2020 10:00 AM.
Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222559
03/23/2020 01:21 PM
03/23/2020 01:21 PM
D
Donald Offline
Traveler
Donald  Offline
Traveler
D
I would also make sure bilge, water and battery levels are checked every day. These tasks can be assigned to other members of the crew but make sure they report back to the skipper what they find.

A daily engine check (oil, intake, impeller, strainer) is also a good idea though that may be better suited for the skipper to do.

Prior to the trip, I would ask potential crew (especially newbies or people who haven't overnighted it on a boat before) if they are prone to seasickness and if they are claustrophobic (even on a 45-50 ft yacht, the aft cabin roof may be only a foot above your face -- difficult for people who are suffer from claustrophobia). Its no fun to be on a boat with someone who doesn't want to be there or who is not having a good time.

Don

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: Donald] #222601
03/23/2020 03:54 PM
03/23/2020 03:54 PM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
Originally Posted by Donald

Prior to the trip, I would ask potential crew (especially newbies or people who haven't overnighted it on a boat before) if they are prone to seasickness and if they are claustrophobic (even on a 45-50 ft yacht, the aft cabin roof may be only a foot above your face -- difficult for people who are suffer from claustrophobia). Its no fun to be on a boat with someone who doesn't want to be there or who is not having a good time.

Don

Yes, seasickness, when under way for those prone to it I encourage them to stay on deck, standing if possible (and holding on), watching the horizon, steering if they're game, cuts way down on symptoms - balance and the level horizon seem to help a lot

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: Latadjust] #222640
03/23/2020 06:19 PM
03/23/2020 06:19 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Originally Posted by Latadjust
Originally Posted by Donald

Don

Yes, seasickness, when under way for those prone to it I encourage them to stay on deck, standing if possible (and holding on), watching the horizon, steering if they're game, cuts way down on symptoms - balance and the level horizon seem to help a lot

Steering definitely helps, it focuses their mind and a mild case of seasickness will disappear.
Ginger root or Ginger capsule taken a day before the trip and throughout works on most people. Stay away from Ginger cookies and Ginger Ale because there is only Ginger flavoring and Zero Ginger.

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222650
03/23/2020 08:35 PM
03/23/2020 08:35 PM
The Villages Florida
ggregory Offline
Traveler
ggregory  Offline
Traveler
The Villages Florida
Swimming/Snorkeling. Pretty much everyone is going to jump in the water and go for a self tour of the shoreline or reef and etc. As a certified boat captain and diver, make sure who's in the water on such tour, all of them know who's in the water, where they are and always do a head count from time to time. It's always a good idea for at least one person to tether a PFD while swimming. It can be on a longer line so it won't interfere with that persons swimming. The PFD should be those stupid looking bright red kind found on every boat that know body wants to wear. This PFD will serve two really good functions. 1). If someone in this self guided tour gets tired they can rest on this PFD . This is especially good if they can't touch bottom. 2). This bright red PFD will be much easier to spot then some half summered swimmer by those dinghy racers who are trying to get their dinghy to skim off the water at Mach 1 speed. Those dinghy racers are NOT looking for swimmers, but rather where their hat just blew off.

Last edited by ggregory; 03/23/2020 08:37 PM.
Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #222686
03/24/2020 10:56 AM
03/24/2020 10:56 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline OP
Traveler
bailau  Offline OP
Traveler
B
Washington DC
thanks for the great ideas...always humbled by the depth of the knowledge on this board...

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #223263
03/30/2020 10:35 PM
03/30/2020 10:35 PM
Ohio
S
Sedona Offline
Traveler
Sedona  Offline
Traveler
S
Ohio
Everyone on board has a job. Sitting and looking at your phone all day is not a job.

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #223269
03/31/2020 06:43 AM
03/31/2020 06:43 AM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
Love this !!!
Nice way to refocus our energy for the future ( we have 2 upcoming trips we will need to rebook ) ...we try to have a group consensus discussion about roles on the boat....dinghy captain is always a favourite, cook, clean up crew, bartender etc ..I am usually first mate ..we also tell crew that if things get tricky the captain may use stern voice and it’s not a joke , listen and take orders ...limit alcohol until close to night anchorage . Teach crew about anchoring and have them help you understand why you back on it, snorkel it and do anchor watch, teach them how to read wind and weather and why this is important, ie ( if you think you should Reef - you should have already done so )
Avoid glass on deck , no cardboard aboard ...navy shower concept, no spray sunscreens ( makes deck slippery ) rinse off with fresh water after swimming ,,,no sandy shoes come off stern without washing ....I will keep thinking ...

Last edited by Sandsailsun; 03/31/2020 06:44 AM.

Kim

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #223271
03/31/2020 06:55 AM
03/31/2020 06:55 AM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
I found and recycled this this from several years ago ...Newbie tips
———————————————————————————————

Going through some old files I had saved and found this... may be helpful for anyone sailing with Newbies.
-Have an itinerary but a loose one. Check weather every morning and have a plan B and maybe C if it isn�t what you expected . We use windguru and find it fairly accurate.
-If you see dark clouds ahead plan for a blow. If you are thinking about reefing you should have already done so. Reefing is your friend if in doubt reef - don�t try to be the hero.
-Always close hatches when leaving the boat, even if the sky is blue. A shower /downpour can come out of nowhere and a wet bed sucks.
-Resist the overwhelming temptation to laze in the cockpit and hug your mug all morning. We try to get away reasonably early so we can make a few pit stops (lunch and snorkelling) along the way to our destination for the night.
-Know how to anchor and if your planned destination is conducive to this prior to getting there in case all the balls are taken. Ward loves his range finder for anchoring to judge swing room and helps to evaluate if your anchor spot is a good one. Snorkel your anchor to see if it set well, after you back on it and take a mark ashore. Use your GPS and iphone app to take a reading so it will alarm if you move at night. The � lets check to see if we are dragging hatch dance � at night got old real fast so we use technology now for a better sleep. Still be alert when anchored- weather can change in a heartbeat.
-When mooring if you miss the ball circle around and try again- again heroics are stupid.
-Wear bug spray or some sort of deterrent when ashore in the evenings, sometimes even in the day time ( really happy to have had some on our a recent hike around Sandy Cay). I usually bring a small bottle with me in my purse along with my small flashlight ( never leave the boat in early afternoon for happy hour without a flashlight- may get carried away and leave after dark ) been there done that. Hard to navigate a mooring field in the dark .. and again stupidity to try to do so . We also have solar lights on our bimini which make it really easy to see � especially after a night ashore with some libations .
-If enjoying drinks ashore, especially at Willy T remember that all the grey dinghies may look the same when you go to leave. We lock ours and also a good idea to tie a colored strip of material or bandana around the cleat where you tie off so its easier to find.
- always bring a portable clock with me. I am notoriously unable to sleep past sunrise when in the BVI and wake up anytime after 4 or so. Having a clock to check to see � is it time to get up yet daddy� helps me sleep a bit longer. Hate to miss a sunrise ya know! Also after 2 weeks on vacation the alarm is needed just in case the one day I decide to sleep late is the day we need to catch a ferry for our departure home.
- Also find that I have had some itchy rashes on some trips and have found that rinsing off with a fresh water stern shower after being in the water prevents this.
-RE food. We bring some and buy the produce there usually. I find it really convenient to make lunch after breakfast for easy access if sailing or just saves time for more fun things like exploring ashore or snorkelling.
-If on a mono tell newbies who may have never sailed that the boat may � lean over� but we will not tip. Freaks them out if they do not expect this, especially when they see the smaller monos beside them with rails in the water.
-We love our beverages so bring insulated cups from home- the steel ones from costco keep ice for hours and hours. Careful tho the goose bite is brutal- moderation only especially on the first night- again speaking from experience. Chum is no fun.
-speaking about chumming- if guests are at all prone to be a bit nauseated aboard tell them to sit so they either face forward ( the pointy end) or sit to look out over the stern,. Sitting sideways in the cockpit is a recipe for the bucket if they are a bit yucky feeling at all. If it is about to happen pass the bucket rather than risking a newbie overboard.
- Water , water and more water. Before the libations and between. Dehydration and sun = a very bad day. We have used the gallon jugs and the small bottles and find that guests drink the small bottles best cause they can grab and go. Again the plastic bottles from Costco are great for water . Come in all colors and are spill proof.

�. And last of all expect that your newbies will be planning their next trip with you before the departure date..

Kim

Re: Captains Briefing [Re: bailau] #223297
03/31/2020 10:01 AM
03/31/2020 10:01 AM
West Chester, PA
ligot Offline
Traveler
ligot  Offline
Traveler
West Chester, PA
Good stuff. We've learned that the more communication the better, even when the subject (like head use) is touchy but you have to do it. We've also learned to have a healthy respect for the power of wind and water and to pass that on to the crew even if it doesn't fit with the idyllic vision of a Caribbean yacht vacation.

S/V Tortuga
Lagoon 46
[Linked Image]