Member Spotlight
RickinAtlanta
RickinAtlanta
Woodstock, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (SXMBND, Kennys, eightzerobits, bailau, CaribbeanCanadians, jazzgal, BHK, JohnandBev, blooming, jenniboston, Tonythepilot, mark37, nevar37, Halcyon, SXMScubaman, steve74, TRIM, tradewinds, sugarae, eilandmens, Kiles41, Travel Talker, 11 invisible), 967 guests, and 61 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Worldwide sailing trip suggestions? #237655
10/22/2020 01:11 PM
10/22/2020 01:11 PM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
So I have no guess, and not to hijack the game but all these pictures and all you very traveled and sailed people, has got me thinking. If you were to plan a trip, sailing and would use a captain (so language and unknown waters would not be a problem), what area of the world would I go to first? Continue the Caribbean, Greece, Turkey, Croatia? I am feeling the need to plan and look forward to something.

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 10/22/2020 01:28 PM.
Sponsors
Re: Worldwide sailing trip [Re: EllenS] #237660
10/22/2020 01:27 PM
10/22/2020 01:27 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Hi Ellen, I decided to make this it's own thread.

Carol Hill
Re: Worldwide sailing trip [Re: EllenS] #237671
10/22/2020 02:55 PM
10/22/2020 02:55 PM
U.K. and Spain
Jeannius Offline
Traveler
Jeannius  Offline
Traveler
U.K. and Spain
Hi Ellen... I've sailed all the areas you mention, and many more, except Croatia. Planned a trip there this year but had to cancel for non-covid reasons. I've never been on any sailing holiday, to any destination, that I didn't enjoy. Caribbean is definitely best for pretty much guaranteed wind usually at reasonable strength. The Med is often no wind or too much wind but the rest of the experience makes up for the less than perfect sailing.

Right now though I'm not going sailing, or on any vacation, that requires me to go to an airport and get on a plane. Fortunately I don't have to get on a plane to get from the UK to Spain so I'm planning to charter from near my house in mainland Spain and sail to the Balearic Islands (Ibiza, Formentera, Majorca and Menorca, the nearest of which is only around 50 nm) next spring. I have sailed Majorca previously but none of the other islands and am really hoping this can go ahead.

If I was in your location I'd be planning on picking up a boat in Florida and hoping to get to the Bahamas. If the Bahamas won't let you in at the time at least you should be able to sail the Keys.

Re: Worldwide sailing trip [Re: EllenS] #237678
10/22/2020 03:41 PM
10/22/2020 03:41 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Ellen have you chartered before? I'm moving a boat from Annapolis to Key West starting this weekend. When I get there I can get a feel for what the charter situation looks like and possible itineraries from the locals. The Bahamas are great of course, but like Mike said questionable if/when you can get in. The Chesapeake Bay is a great place to sail, however you wouldn't be swimming and beaching much, When travel opens back up we have Italy and Croatia on our bucket list!

Re: Worldwide sailing trip [Re: EllenS] #237682
10/22/2020 04:01 PM
10/22/2020 04:01 PM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
Hi, thanks and yes we have chartered many times, but only in the BVI. And Bahamas is on our radar as well as learning about Florida so it will be interesting to see what you learn. Are you taking the boat down to Florida yourself?

I was thinking more of a trip later, when things are open. That picture where the only mode of transport was a donkey is a place I'd like to pull up to. I just thought I could get advice on the best general area for all kinds of reasons, then start to narrow it down myself. We are more the experience the area/people types, enjoy good scenery as well.

Thanks for the thoughts, so many fun places to get to in this world, hopefully we can all experince them soon.

Re: Worldwide sailing trip [Re: EllenS] #237686
10/22/2020 04:19 PM
10/22/2020 04:19 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
5 of us on an older Hylas49, my wife is flying down next weekend to meet us and spend a week, first travel in a very loooong time. I'll probably do a report.

Re: Worldwide sailing trip [Re: EllenS] #237692
10/22/2020 05:08 PM
10/22/2020 05:08 PM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
Mike,

Formentera is one place I have wanted to go.
How ironic to visit now.
The plaque wiped out the entire population and the island remained uninhabited until the 18th century.

Hopefully COVID stays away

hope you blog!

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: Worldwide sailing trip [Re: EllenS] #237693
10/22/2020 05:11 PM
10/22/2020 05:11 PM
U.K. and Spain
Jeannius Offline
Traveler
Jeannius  Offline
Traveler
U.K. and Spain
When things get back to more normal then if you want to get to meet people who pretty much live as they have done for hundreds of years then Tonga is probably the most accessible place like that for you to try. Sunsail have a base there and you can get to some pretty basic but beautiful islands from that base.

I posted earlier in the game time threads some photos of Vanuatu which is even more representative of a country where you can step back in time. The charter infrastructure is very limited there so I think that is probably a step to far for a first charter away from the BVI.

Re: Worldwide sailing trip [Re: EllenS] #237714
10/22/2020 08:46 PM
10/22/2020 08:46 PM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
South Pacific has always been on the short list. After all, Some Enchanted Evening is our wedding song.

I’ll look at Tonga.

Re: Worldwide sailing trip suggestions? [Re: EllenS] #237895
10/24/2020 06:12 PM
10/24/2020 06:12 PM
JAX
jphart Offline
Traveler
jphart  Offline
Traveler
JAX
Hi Ellen:
I've been sailing since in teen in S. Fla. Got into bareboating via a Moorings owner 13years ago. Chartered as my own captain since 2010.
But I don't have a license, and neither do the other experienced couples we cruise with. So when we decided to expand our horizons we chartered with a local skipper. I looked into getting the license with the Collegate school, or ASA programs. But that still wouldn't solve the local knowledge issue.

Local skippers are like having your personal concierge cruising with you! He (we haven't had a she...yet) has the local knowledge and experience that helps take any of the apprehension about anchorages, restaurants, weather, etc. Their most valuable resource is the super-computer in his hand - now known as a smart-phone. (Gone are the days anybody uses a VHF!) They know the local areas like the proverbial back of their hand, but enjoy sharing their knowledge and expertise. They have let us help navigate, sail, helm, anchor, Med moor,and learn how to back into tight village quays and docks. We've found that a skipper will let you do as much as you'd like, Or just kick back, have another adult beverage and let him do the worrying! Personally, I like learning, and tried to do new stuff with the skipper by my side. And with him there, my wife and other crew were much more relaxed the entire trip.

Once tied off, he typically kind of disappeared, took care of the dock paperwork, had a coffee with friends, etc. One skipper appeared to have a girlfriend in every port! He learned what we liked about schedules, our likes and dislikes, and made the restaurant reservations at places that were perfect for us! Some nights he'd dine with us, others he'd get us to the restaurant, and then go off on his own. And many times the restaurants were not the typical closest tourist traps - but ones were he was welcome with open arms. Come morning, he'd be found ashore having coffee & waiting for us to rise and shine, or he'd sleep-in while we made the coffee and breakfast onboard.

We chartered in Greece from Athens a few years ago, and that was us in Hydra with the donkeys on the dock. That harbour was a total ZOO! No, not the dock, but getting in and getting a prime space. Skipper Greg had phoned ahead to a fellow skipper friend and timed our arrival just as the other cat was leaving. It was like finding a prime parking space in front of the football stadium right before kickoff - just as another left it empty. By late afternoon the boats were THREE deep - as there were two boats Med moored ahead of us. NO WAY could have we done that without a local skipper! Somebody fouled our anchor upon departure, but he showed his skill getting us free.

We chartered in Croatia last year, and had the same wonderful experience with a young fellow, recently graduated from a university that specialized in marine education. He was a mult-generational local. He had thought about getting on with giant shipping companies, but starting skippering locally and loved the opportunity working with fellow sailors, and hosting and showing the highlights of his home country.

Does that mean that I won't charter without a skipper? No. In areas where language isn't an issue, where we've been before, or can plan well enough in advance I can do well enough with our crew. But as we're sailing boats that are now getting close to $1,000,000 in value and we're not quite as young as we used to be, sailing with a skipper to new destinations is a great way to sail, learn, travel,and experience new destinations, while getting the the apprehension level way down!

We hope to sail Italy in 2021 - with a skipper! And if the Caribbean governments can get their act together, on our own again - without need of a skipper.

My two bits...fair winds

Last edited by jphart; 10/24/2020 06:17 PM.
Re: Worldwide sailing trip suggestions? [Re: EllenS] #238018
10/26/2020 08:43 AM
10/26/2020 08:43 AM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think I will spend my time long term planning starting with Greece, Croatia or South Pacific. Wide net, I know, but I have plenty of planning time. They all sound wonderful!

And I think we are both convinced to plan on a skipper in those areas. Will make for a lovely holiday someday.

Ellen

Moderated by  Eric_Hill