Member Spotlight
Leagle49
Leagle49
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (tradewinds, Michel_Benarrosh, JeanneB, Kennys, steve74, SacoFrank, blooming, SXMScubaman, RonDon, eightzerobits, bailau, WCHam, Kevin_B, KirkB, Lucky13, LINNY, CaribbeanCanadians, GaryC, Swifty, pandpfromcanada, cbf, seeitall, RickinAtlanta, Time Will Tell, xrayman67, duckfat, boucharda, davidandsusannj, kaba, mark37, MamaB, caribbeangirl13, 11 invisible), 1,006 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
USVI only charter #236486
10/08/2020 10:14 AM
10/08/2020 10:14 AM
J
jpfitzy7 Offline OP
Traveler
jpfitzy7  Offline OP
Traveler
J
Hello all. So my May charter with CYOA got pushed to November and after the BVI announcement it would appear that I will be a USVI only charter. This is fine, looking forward to exploring new areas and I always wanted to do a sail around the USVI.

Other than one night in Maho and one night at Christmas Cove I have no experience of any of the anchorages. I've read Captain Jay's great itinerary for a US only trip and I am looking for some first hand experiences some people have. What are the must stop places and what are places that are just not worth it? I am working on a float plan of sorts and looking for a bit of guidance. We are also considering staying multiple nights at one place and thinking either Cruz, Magens or Water Island. Any thoughts on which might be fun for a multi night? I know the USVI is different than BVI with regards to beach bars and party atmosphere. It looks like there may be some bars and restaurants at Magens and Water and obviously lots at CRuz so just wondering about other people thoughts.

Thanks!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in hand - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
BVI Sponsors
Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #236497
10/08/2020 10:40 AM
10/08/2020 10:40 AM
Winter Park, FL
M
MKGrey Offline
Traveler
MKGrey  Offline
Traveler
M
Winter Park, FL
We just completed a USVI only charter with CYOA in July. It was our first time USVI only. We had an outstanding experience, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Among the highlights for our crew:

1) Little Lameshur - our favorite anchorage of the trip. Idyllic sand beach, and incredible water clarity. Feels very secluded, as there are only about 5 moorings.

2) Salt Pond - the Rams Head hike was a favorite for the younger ones in our crew

3) Coral Bay - for us, this was only on the list so that we could make a stop at Lime Out. We had a great time, but it was a bit crowded given the need to social distance. That said, it was only a day stop for us, as we preferred the beauty of the anchorages on the south side to the derelict boats of Coral Bay.

4) Magens Bay - this was not our favorite stop. In fact, was probably our least favorite. The bay itself is beautiful. There were roughly a half dozen other boats in there, which is not many, given the size of the anchorage. The problem was the boats towing wakeboards and tubes around the bay in close proximity to vessels at anchor. These boats service paying customers from the beach, and ran all afternoon into the early evening. As a result, it did not feel particularly safe swimming near our boat. I would either skip this anchorage, or anchor as far towards the SW as possible.

5) Water Island - we loved this stop, and the beach bar ashore. Be mindful that all the moorings are private, and there is very little suitable space to anchor (at least when we were there). If you get there early, and are fortunate to find room to anchor, I would definitely recommend this as a last stop. The return to CYOA from there was incredibly easy.

If we had it to do over again, we would probably skip Magens Bay, and dingy into Cruz Bay a second time during the trip. This especially helps with the ice problem. As discussed in this forum, finding ice is not easy. Our boat had an ice maker, but there was no way it could keep up with our crew of 10.

Have a great trip!

Last edited by MKGrey; 10/08/2020 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #236535
10/08/2020 04:32 PM
10/08/2020 04:32 PM
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler
LocalSailor  Offline
Traveler
USVI
There are no commercial motorized rentals or services allowed on Magens Bay Beach - however local residents can bring their boats into the bay , outside the swim buoys, and take family members or friends wakeboarding, skiing or tubing - it is not particularly common but more likely on weekends. Often the mega yachts anchor at Magens and run jetskis and ski boats.
It really is only the last few years that any sailboats came in for overnights at Magens and since the BVI closure and more so during the height of the winter sailing season, Magens was very popular with vessels waiting out the lockdowns or waiting to go North or South for Hurricane season.
Glad to hear your crew enjoyed the USVI waters, I have been living and sailing here for over 40 years and rarely bother with the BVI at all anymore.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #236580
10/09/2020 09:30 AM
10/09/2020 09:30 AM
Pohlman62 Offline
Pohlman62  Offline
Originally Posted by jpfitzy7
Hello all. So my May charter with CYOA got pushed to November and after the BVI announcement it would appear that I will be a USVI only charter. This is fine, looking forward to exploring new areas and I always wanted to do a sail around the USVI.

Other than one night in Maho and one night at Christmas Cove I have no experience of any of the anchorages. I've read Captain Jay's great itinerary for a US only trip and I am looking for some first hand experiences some people have. What are the must stop places and what are places that are just not worth it? I am working on a float plan of sorts and looking for a bit of guidance. We are also considering staying multiple nights at one place and thinking either Cruz, Magens or Water Island. Any thoughts on which might be fun for a multi night? I know the USVI is different than BVI with regards to beach bars and party atmosphere. It looks like there may be some bars and restaurants at Magens and Water and obviously lots at CRuz so just wondering about other people thoughts.

Thanks!

We will be there through CYOA 9-20!! See ya then!

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #236592
10/09/2020 11:19 AM
10/09/2020 11:19 AM
St. John, USVI
RickG Offline
Traveler
RickG  Offline
Traveler
St. John, USVI
Multiple nights? Water Island is very nice. Cruz Bay is rolly. Christmas Cove is another option. If you like quiet, we love Salt Pond and Lamesure at St. John. It depends on whether you want amenities. We have spent a week just in Maho Bay and that is our favorite spot anywhere; we're in Carriacou now and it's nice hear too... Maho wins for a great view and water.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada
Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #236596
10/09/2020 11:37 AM
10/09/2020 11:37 AM
South Carolina
Riverfrontbrewer Offline
Traveler
Riverfrontbrewer  Offline
Traveler
South Carolina
Regarding the ice issue....last time we were in the USVI in May 2019 we were in Maho for a few days and in need of ice. We flagged down a taxi and gave him $40 to bring us back several bags of ice as he was running back and forth from Crux Bay to Maho. About an hour later he returned with 4 bags of ice and our change. This may not be as easy now depending on the amount of tourist traffic and how often the taxis may go back and forth to Cruz Bay.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: Riverfrontbrewer] #236615
10/09/2020 01:38 PM
10/09/2020 01:38 PM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
Maho Crossroads could make a killing selling bags of ice.

If you don't need amenities, we like Leinster Bay - as an added bonus you can easily snorkel Waterlemon Cay. Like Rick, we also love Lameshur.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #236649
10/10/2020 09:30 AM
10/10/2020 09:30 AM
Saint Thomas, USVI
CaptainJay Offline
Traveler
CaptainJay  Offline
Traveler
Saint Thomas, USVI
I copied this from one of my earlier responses.

Buck Island, St Thomas as a day stop. Turtle Cove and Shipwreck Cove.

Christmas Cove, Great St James A great place to spend the night, snorkel the cay in the middle of the harbor, and share a Pizza from Pizza Pi with your crew.

Cruz Bay, St John Moor your boat at Lind Point or off of Caneel Bay on a national park mooring. Dinghy into town to see the attractions. Dinning and Limin for every budget. Shopping from trinkets to T-shirts, Jewelry, and provisions. Everything in one funky little town.

St John National Park The interactive Marine Resources guide. (Google this map) This has it all the mooring fields, snorkeling spots, pretty much anything you want to know about the Park.

Hawksnest Beach, St John Named for the Hawksnest Turtles that call this home. A white sandy slice of heaven. We could tell you about Mermaid’s Seat but it is a secret.

Trunk Bay, St John One of the most photographed beaches on the planet. It really is that pretty. Check out the snorkel trail around Trunk Bay Cay.

Trunk Bay with the Underwater Trail is a great place for beginners and anyone who wants to learn about marine life by reading the plaques along the trail. The trail follows the west side of Trunk Bay Cay for about 300 feet before making a U-turn back to the beach. The coral and fish are well represented here. The reef continues beyond to the cay's northern tip, however do not venture past where you are in view of the lifeguards. The farther out you go, the rougher the water is.

Cinnamon Bay, St John Hang out with the rich and famous as well as the turles and Conch. Spectacular water views, snorkeling and views of some of the most incredible Vacation Villas in the Caribbean.

Francis Bay Beach and Maho Bay Beach This is a two for one deal. Two great beaches in one great anchorage. This spot pretty much comes with a turtle viewing guarantee.

Maho Crossroads In their own words. “A minimum footprint pop-up village at Maho Beach in St. John, USVI. Enjoy the Paddle-In Tiki Bar, Love Maho Beach Boutique, and Terrapin Beach Club.”

Leinster Bay and Waterlemon Cay Did we mention snorkeling? This spot can keep your whole crew in the water for hours. You can snorkel around Waterlemon Cay, Snorkle the reef along the shore or dinghy into the shallows in the mangrove area and look for juvenile fish. There are more starfish here than any other place we have ever been.

Coral Bay, St John The little village time forgot. Don’t come here looking for commercialized attractions it is not that kind of town. You can find art, food, and drinks. A dive shop and a floating Taco Bar. It is that kind of town.

Lime Out, Coral Bay Speaking of floating Taco Bars, because who doesn’t want to go to a swim up Taco Bar with Rum Drinks? This one speaks for itself.

Hurricane Hole, Coral Bay St John Made up of several day mooring areas in the National Park, this is a great place to spend the afternoon. Swim and snorkel along the mangroves on shore to see countless juvenile fish and sea life.

Salt Pond, St John This one is a secret so do not tell anyone. There are a limited number of moorings surrounded by unlimited beauty.

Rams Head Trail, Salt Pond, St John This hiking trail runs from the beach at Salt Pond to the top of Rams Head. Pack some water and comfortable shoes. The views are spectacular.

Great and Little Lameshur Bays Quiet coves, snorkeling oh and did we mention stargazing? With almost no light noise from shore due to the remote location in the park this is like taking a walk around the milky way. Make sure to put a stargazing app on your phone or tablet. It is good for hours of fun.

Reef Bay, St John Limited to two moorings this is an advanced hike.
“By Ken Wild
Within the deep interior of the Reef Bay valley rests one of St. John’s most important clues to a lost culture from the island’s past, the petroglyphs. This captivating place is located at the base of the valley’s highest waterfall, surrounded by the island’s lush tropical vegetation. Here, mysterious faces are found carved into the fall’s blue basalt rock. A spring fed pool beneath reflects a 20-foot wide panorama of carvings year-round with other petroglyphs visible nearby. For those who may be unfamiliar with the term petroglyph, the term petroglyph refers to rock art carvings whereas pictographs are rock art paintings.

Red Hook, St Thomas Does your crew want to spend a little time in town? In Red Hook you can either anchor out or get a slip in the Marina for the night. Either way there are a dozen or so Bars and Restaurants. Some diverse shopping opportunities and even a Grocery Store.

Magens Bay, St Thomas Take a nice down wind sail around the north shore of St Thomas. You will get to view lots of small cays like Hans Lolick on the north side on your way to Magen’s. This is a truely magical spot with a large crescent beach located between two peninsulas. Anchor in the middle or closer to shore. The pelicans are sure to put on a show.

Way Out West, St Thomas As you leave Magens you can continue on your down wind sail around the west end of St Thomas. Once you have cleared the west end it is back up towards the anchorages west of Charlotte Amalia.

Brewers Bay, St Thomas The first of the western anchorages. This anchorage is tucked in by the University of the Virgin Islands. It features a large sand beach and a very protected area for swimming.

Linbergh Bay, St Thomas Next up is another large sand beach. The hotel located on shore has a small beach bar and restaurant. This bay is home to lots of turtles and conchs.

Druif Bay, Water Island Home of Honeymoon Beach, a great spot to waste a day snorkeling and swimming with the turtles and rays. Lime away the afternoon at a beach bar. Then have sundowners watching, wait for it the spectacular sunset to the west.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: RickG] #237216
10/17/2020 10:37 AM
10/17/2020 10:37 AM
West Chester, PA
ligot Offline
Traveler
ligot  Offline
Traveler
West Chester, PA
Originally Posted by RickG
Multiple nights? Water Island is very nice. Cruz Bay is rolly. Christmas Cove is another option. If you like quiet, we love Salt Pond and Lamesure at St. John. It depends on whether you want amenities. We have spent a week just in Maho Bay and that is our favorite spot anywhere; we're in Carriacou now and it's nice hear too... Maho wins for a great view and water.

Cheers, RickG

Hi Rick, you mention Cruz Bay here, it's my understanding there aren't any moorings there, am I wrong? We'd love to have a dinner in town but are not really thrilled about having to dinghy back out to Lind Point afterwards. Also not sure if Lind Point balls are overnight or day balls.

Any thoughts on how to make an evening out in Cruz Bay while vacationing on a boat?

BTW, I saw other posts about folks being down in Nov and we'll be on Tortuga from Nov 10-22 and really can't wait.

S/V Tortuga
Lagoon 46
[Linked Image]
Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237272
10/17/2020 05:34 PM
10/17/2020 05:34 PM
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler
LocalSailor  Offline
Traveler
USVI
Rare, or impossible, to find a private empty mooring in Cruz Bay that is possible to use overnight. The dinghy ride is not intimidating unless you are overloaded, with low freeboard. It can be a little wet if the wind is up. The Lind Pt. moorings are overnight or just use one a bit more East.
An option is to get a slip in Red Hook and take the people ferry.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: ligot] #237334
10/18/2020 11:21 AM
10/18/2020 11:21 AM
St. John, USVI
RickG Offline
Traveler
RickG  Offline
Traveler
St. John, USVI
Originally Posted by ligot

Cheers, RickG

Hi Rick, you mention Cruz Bay here, it's my understanding there aren't any moorings there, am I wrong? We'd love to have a dinner in town but are not really thrilled about having to dinghy back out to Lind Point afterwards. Also not sure if Lind Point balls are overnight or day balls.

Any thoughts on how to make an evening out in Cruz Bay while vacationing on a boat?

BTW, I saw other posts about folks being down in Nov and we'll be on Tortuga from Nov 10-22 and really can't wait.

I meant to say Caneel Bay is rolly. I would anchor at Caneel Bay for a night out. I'd get going in the morning before things got to rolly.

Cheers, RickG

Grenada
Re: USVI only charter [Re: RickG] #237376
10/18/2020 06:04 PM
10/18/2020 06:04 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Right on but there are hardly any ferries at the moment so the roll is at a minimum.
Mooring at Lind to Caneel is still your best bet for dining and partying in Cruz Bay, just make sure you have plenty of lights on on your way back to the boat

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237399
10/19/2020 09:18 AM
10/19/2020 09:18 AM
J
jpfitzy7 Offline OP
Traveler
jpfitzy7  Offline OP
Traveler
J
Thanks for the advice. I know USVI is different in that you really don't have to race to an anchorage every day but in regards to Little Lameshur or Druif Bay is there a good time that I should get there by?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in hand - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237418
10/19/2020 12:42 PM
10/19/2020 12:42 PM
F
FLJim Offline
Traveler
FLJim  Offline
Traveler
F
We've been to Lameshur many times - occasionally L Lameshur is full, but there's always room at G Lameshur just next door.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237459
10/19/2020 06:41 PM
10/19/2020 06:41 PM
Maine
Breeze Offline
Traveler
Breeze  Offline
Traveler
Maine
Hey, if you want the afternoon to play from your anchorage or mooring, probably getting there by lunchtime would be a nice thing to do for yourself and your crew. Is that too early in the day ?

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237508
10/20/2020 02:04 PM
10/20/2020 02:04 PM
J
jpfitzy7 Offline OP
Traveler
jpfitzy7  Offline OP
Traveler
J
Hello, we are fine getting places early to enjoy. I'm just wondering if someplace like Druif may be "extra early" because it is tight and will be filled quick.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237556
10/21/2020 06:54 AM
10/21/2020 06:54 AM
Saint Thomas, USVI
CaptainJay Offline
Traveler
CaptainJay  Offline
Traveler
Saint Thomas, USVI
Druif/Honeymoon is an anchor only place. All the moorings there are private. In season it can get full and stay full. There is normally room to anchor on the outer edge. Get there early enough to get a good set. Dive it and test your swing. The wind will and normally does swing up to 90 degrees overnight. It is a great beach, a cool bar and awesome sunsets. Hence the popularity. I here there are some pretty cool liveaboards there as well. :-)

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237557
10/21/2020 07:00 AM
10/21/2020 07:00 AM
R
Rush Offline
Traveler
Rush  Offline
Traveler
R
We are down here now and loving our USVI Charter. At Great Lamshur now and we were the only boat last night (Great or Little). We were one of 2 boats at Salt Pond. And Lime Out was even a happening place on a Tuesday. Obviously early in the season, but no issues getting a ball as late as you want.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: Rush] #237558
10/21/2020 07:26 AM
10/21/2020 07:26 AM
C
cbf Online content
Traveler
cbf  Online Content
Traveler
C
We are headed down this weekend and hope to find similar mooring and anchorage availability. Any other notes of interest regarding current conditions so early in season and with COVID precautions? Any difficulties with travel, provisioning or places being open?

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237575
10/21/2020 09:26 AM
10/21/2020 09:26 AM
J
jpfitzy7 Offline OP
Traveler
jpfitzy7  Offline OP
Traveler
J
Wondering what things are like down there with covid related closings or regulations. How are restaurants and bar area and what's the atmosphere like?

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237620
10/21/2020 07:54 PM
10/21/2020 07:54 PM
R
Rush Offline
Traveler
Rush  Offline
Traveler
R
Really no issues. At Maho/Francis Bay this evening. They are strict in requiring masks to come up and order food/drinks at Maho Crossroads as they are at Cruz Bay and Honeymoon. But otherwise no big deal. Flying in and the airport was a breeze. Just be sure to follow protocols and complete online registration and BRING a print out of your Covid test. Provisioning only St. Thomas was easy - we did Cost U LeSs and Moes. Just mask up. We actually forgot about masks today at Maho bc we had been out for a few days without any need. It’s wonderful!

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237621
10/21/2020 08:14 PM
10/21/2020 08:14 PM
C
cbf Online content
Traveler
cbf  Online Content
Traveler
C
Great to hear. Thank you and enjoy rest of the charter.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #237665
10/22/2020 02:05 PM
10/22/2020 02:05 PM
St. John, USVI
RickG Offline
Traveler
RickG  Offline
Traveler
St. John, USVI
Maho Crossroads was fined and shutdown due to visitors not following protocol. Visitors need to mask up and follow protocols!

Cheers, RickG

Grenada
Re: USVI only charter [Re: RickG] #237699
10/22/2020 06:09 PM
10/22/2020 06:09 PM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Maho Crossroads was fined and shutdown due to visitors not following protocol. Visitors need to mask up and follow protocols!

Cheers, RickG

What surprises me is the government fining the business when the business hasn’t the authority to arrest criminal violators.
Only Law Enforcement has the right to legally prevent violators from entering.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: sail445] #237736
10/23/2020 09:27 AM
10/23/2020 09:27 AM
Massachusetts
D
DuxDweller Offline
Traveler
DuxDweller  Offline
Traveler
D
Massachusetts
Originally Posted by sail445

Cheers, RickG

What surprises me is the government fining the business when the business hasn’t the authority to arrest criminal violators.

The business can refuse service. That's what they do up here in New England. Not saying I'm for it - just pointing it out.

[Linked Image]

Re: USVI only charter [Re: DuxDweller] #237752
10/23/2020 11:13 AM
10/23/2020 11:13 AM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Originally Posted by DuxDweller
Originally Posted by sail445

Cheers, RickG

The business can refuse service. That's what they do up here in New England. Not saying I'm for it - just pointing it out.

That’s true but there’s definitely the possibility of violence.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #238211
10/27/2020 02:27 PM
10/27/2020 02:27 PM
A
Andiamo Offline
Traveler
Andiamo  Offline
Traveler
A
We just moved our charter from the BVI's to USVI for the first week in December. Any updates from others that have been recently will be much appreciated for our planning purposes. This will be our first charter out of the US side, can't wait to finally get back out on the water!

Re: USVI only charter [Re: Andiamo] #238221
10/27/2020 02:59 PM
10/27/2020 02:59 PM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
Who did you book with? CYOA is completely booked for our December time window.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: MIDiver] #238227
10/27/2020 03:19 PM
10/27/2020 03:19 PM
A
Andiamo Offline
Traveler
Andiamo  Offline
Traveler
A
Originally Posted by MIDiver
Who did you book with? CYOA is completely booked for our December time window.

Virgin Island Yacht Charters. From what I gathered they’re the equivalent of BVIYC, just based on the US side. They were great to deal with and still had a few options available. Good luck!

https://www.virginislandsyachtcharters.com/

Re: USVI only charter [Re: Andiamo] #238233
10/27/2020 03:40 PM
10/27/2020 03:40 PM
San Diego
B
beeradley Offline
Traveler
beeradley  Offline
Traveler
B
San Diego
We just did the same exact thing. Moved our charter from BVI to USVI for the first week of December. Time to start planning all over again!

Re: USVI only charter [Re: CaptainJay] #239173
11/07/2020 10:15 PM
11/07/2020 10:15 PM
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
caribbeangirl13 Online content
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Online Content
Traveler
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
Jay, can you take a mooring and find the petroglyphs without the big hike? I thought the big hike was if you weren't on a boat and had to hike down to the "cool stuff" and then hike back up to leave.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #239210
11/08/2020 05:58 PM
11/08/2020 05:58 PM
USVI
LocalSailor Offline
Traveler
LocalSailor  Offline
Traveler
USVI
Not JAY here -- But I have lived/saailed here since 1975, Haven't been to Reef Bay lately -- usually at least 1, if not 2, NPS moorings avaiable -- a much shorter hike UP from the beach!!
Lameshur Bay has more moorings and a longer but moderate hiking trail to the petroglyphs.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #239244
11/09/2020 11:20 AM
11/09/2020 11:20 AM
J
jpfitzy7 Offline OP
Traveler
jpfitzy7  Offline OP
Traveler
J
We are wheels up at 7 AM on Saturday and I'm like a kid at Christmas I cannot wait

Re: USVI only charter [Re: LocalSailor] #239529
11/11/2020 11:15 PM
11/11/2020 11:15 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
As of October 2020, there were 2 moorings at Reef Bay.

Nice hike/ easy for most. Not much "uphill" sloop.

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: USVI only charter [Re: Andiamo] #239559
11/12/2020 01:38 PM
11/12/2020 01:38 PM
Middleburg, VA
cwoody Offline
Traveler
cwoody  Offline
Traveler
Middleburg, VA
Used VIYC in 2019 and it was a good experience.

If you want to stay a couple days before/after the charter there is an great AB&B within walking distance of the Compass Point Marina.

Check out Dexter's place here: Dexter's AB&B

He also has a car rental service.

Chuck W.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: jpfitzy7] #239595
11/12/2020 09:28 PM
11/12/2020 09:28 PM
BaardJ Offline
Traveler
BaardJ  Offline
Traveler
It's an easy 1 mile hike from Genti/Reed Bay to the Petroglyphs. There are two day use moorings. Note that the bay is exposed and gets rolly with SE to S swell.

We hiked there last week and the falls and stream had lots of water. I see most visitors simply hike to the first waterfall to see the Petroglyphs then turn around. There is a short steep trail to the left of the 'Petroglyphs' waterfall that takes you to the top of this falls and leads to a upper waterfall that is larger and more impressive.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: BaardJ] #239955
11/16/2020 06:27 PM
11/16/2020 06:27 PM
Apex, NC
agrimsrud Offline
Traveler
agrimsrud  Offline
Traveler
Apex, NC
We tried to hike to the petroglyphs. Started in Great Lameshure and hiked seemingly forever and eventually ended up at an old farm and gave up. Not sure what turn we missed. Do you have to go down to Reef and back up on some other trail? I didn't see any signage except the first sign in Lameshure. And the cheesy park service map was no help.
Anyone enlighten me? I really would like to see the petroglyphs.

Life's short - sail more!
Re: USVI only charter [Re: agrimsrud] #239990
11/17/2020 07:25 AM
11/17/2020 07:25 AM
F
FLJim Offline
Traveler
FLJim  Offline
Traveler
F
Coming down the saddle, stay left (downhill) at the Reef Bay House / Par Force turnoff to the right. You'll bottom out in a valley where the signs say go left to Reef Bay. But you should go right and after a very short distance later go left on the trail to Petroglyphs. My recollection is the signposting was a little confusing. I used a great hiking trail guide from the trailbandit.

Re: USVI only charter [Re: FLJim] #240025
11/17/2020 02:03 PM
11/17/2020 02:03 PM
Apex, NC
agrimsrud Offline
Traveler
agrimsrud  Offline
Traveler
Apex, NC
Originally Posted by FLJim
Coming down the saddle, stay left (downhill) at the Reef Bay House / Par Force turnoff to the right. You'll bottom out in a valley where the signs say go left to Reef Bay. But you should go right and after a very short distance later go left on the trail to Petroglyphs. My recollection is the signposting was a little confusing. I used a great hiking trail guide from the trailbandit.

Thanks! I will try the hike again next time.

Life's short - sail more!
Re: USVI only charter [Re: FLJim] #240183
11/18/2020 05:43 PM
11/18/2020 05:43 PM
New Jersey, USA
DanS Offline
Traveler
DanS  Offline
Traveler
New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by FLJim
I used a great hiking trail guide from the trailbandit.

A map from Trail Bandit is available for download here: https://www.trailbandit.org/Downloads.html

Looks like a great resource.

Dan cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2