Traveltalkonline.com Forums


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics35,573
Posts282,669
Members26,193
Most Online2,218
Jan 21st, 2020
Top Posters(30 Days)
Colour1 23
pat 22
cruzer 16
BEERMAN 14
Member Spotlight
JasonHelmbrecht
JasonHelmbrecht
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Posts: 3,356
Joined: November 2000
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (RickinAtlanta, GaryB, tradewinds, RickG, PMagistro, caribbeangirl13, Sunnykm, RichiT, Fran, Todd_Melinda_K, moontide, NumberCruncher, Billtjw, PML, ColoBoater, richard4th, Biturbo, Husker, Snorkeller, Time Will Tell, pk5352, ChiTownHarry, awy, 9 invisible), 141 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
St Croix / SVI #240996
11/29/2020 10:12 PM
11/29/2020 10:12 PM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 28
F
finnman Offline OP
Traveler
finnman  Offline OP
Traveler
F
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 28
Our group of 4 couples is chartering a F/P Saona over 8 days/nights at the end of February with VIYC in St Thomas. Several months ago, I asked for some advice on this forum from those who had experience sailing to St Croix, Culebra & Vieques. With the impact of COVID-19 on the BVI and greater attention being given to the USVI, I thought it would be worth revisiting the topic - hopeful of some recent reports. If conditions (both weather and covid restrictions) are favorable, our float plan has been to spend the 1st overnight at Water Island or Brewers Bay, then on to Culebra for two nights at Ensenada Hondo with a day trip to Culebrita in between. Next to Vieques for two nights then sail to Christiansted, St Croix. This Vieques - St Croix leg is my biggest question. I'm a bit concerned about the angle here, compounded by the leeway and current, particularly since our preference would be to sail to Christiansted versus the alternate of the west end of STX. It looks like it should be "doable" on a single tack as long as the wind is north of east. However, if the wind was directly east or a bit south of east, the course would be problematic and require motorsailing to hold the course or having to head for Fredericksted. The idea behind this plan is to avoid the Culebra to St Thomos dead upwind beat. St Croix would be a night in the Green Cay Marina and hopefully one night anchored at Buck Island which we are working on. Last night would be at Lind Point, St John for its proximity to Cruz Bay for dinner and short distance to Compass Point Marina to return the boat the next morning. We will be completely prepared to go to plans B, C or D, depending on conditions and restrictions - including spending the entire time hanging around St John and St Thomas if need be. More recently, the idea of a clockwise route has become more attractive - STT - St John - STX - Vieques - Culebra - STT. We would know in advance to expect a beating from Culebra to St Thomas but the long legs would be pleasant reaches. I would be very interested in any advice on the topic. I would also love any current information on the status of Vieques and Culebra with respect to Covid. Finally, if the clockwise route wins out and our arrival in Puerto Rico / SVI is Vieques, are we able to clear in on ROAM there or are we required to clear in at Culebra.

BVI Sponsors
Re: St Croix / SVI [Re: finnman] #241002
11/30/2020 03:32 AM
11/30/2020 03:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 124
Georgia
C
cruzdoc Offline
Traveler
cruzdoc  Offline
Traveler
C
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 124
Georgia
I can't really comment on the STX portion but we have done the trip from STT to Culebra before. We had a NE wind and a nice sail to Culebra and cleared in with CBP Roam app. Spent time in Ensenada Honda which was okay. Anchored in Ensenda Sun Bay on Vieques after a nice sail from Culebra and visited the Bio Bay which is a cool experience. Sailed back to Culebrita which was our favorite stop in the SVI. We left Culebrita and headed North with an ENE wind and eventually tacked on a course to Sail Rock and one more tack into the lee of STT before motorsailing the rest due to needing to drop off a few guests at the airport. Seas only 2-4 ft until we were in the lee of STT. My point is, I did not feel that it was a horrible upwind beat like has been described at least for our conditions. We did eventually bring down the sails in the lee of STT which cut some of our wind and in order to get to the airport in time.

I think the weather forecast would maybe dictate my course. A NE wind and I likely would go counter clockwise. A SE wind (probably more likely that time of year) would make the Vieques to STX leg very difficult and would consider the clockwise route which also would make sense I think with East wind. I'd rather beat for 14 nm than 32 nm. Others can probably chime in with experience with the STX portion though but obviously the weather will rule the day and decision making.

I am not sure about clearing in at Vieques. I believe they have a designated site at Mosquito Pier and can still use your CBP Roam app. You could probably anchor on the South side and make the call but if you had to present would have to make the trip around to the north side. Hopefully someone has some experience there.

Sounds like fun regardless. Hope you can make the trip!

Re: St Croix / SVI [Re: finnman] #241011
11/30/2020 07:27 AM
11/30/2020 07:27 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 28
F
finnman Offline OP
Traveler
finnman  Offline OP
Traveler
F
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 28
Thanks for the info!

Re: St Croix / SVI [Re: finnman] #241017
11/30/2020 09:06 AM
11/30/2020 09:06 AM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 556
Apex, NC
agrimsrud Offline
Traveler
agrimsrud  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 556
Apex, NC


Life's short - sail more!

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1