Member Spotlight
EdB
EdB
Boynton Beach, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
beach_dhays, Cobalt, HikeNYCParks, KVR, Twanger
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (MrEZgoin, Jaybird, crsxm, Beansbbq, KC2SXM, JeanneB, timnboston, Zanshin, lcote, jrw, boucharda, IWIWSE, BenP, sailgclass, ChuckG, Wingman, BillR, 8 invisible), 575 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
My Sunday 5/16 Ferry and entry experience #255916
05/18/2021 12:46 PM
05/18/2021 12:46 PM
Northern IL
bagsarepacked Offline OP
Traveler
bagsarepacked  Offline OP
Traveler
Northern IL
Thought I would share this as it may be of help to others......as a note, I am fully vaccinated.

I did my Covid test Weds am for a Sunday arrival. I used a local but nationwide company called Any Lab Test Now who gets results in 24 hours. The local one I used for an extra 50.00 got it in 12 hours. I chose them as I liked the fact they drove my test to the lab vs Fed Ex (have had many issued lately w Fed Ex with work so I wanted to reduce risk). Test was 300.00 for 12 hr turn around. I was able to use my FSA. The cost was worth piece of mind to me.
I uploaded everything at once to the portal Weds evening. I saved everything as PDFs using name and date of arrival.

My upload to the USVI came in 24 hours.

Since there have been so many horror stories I also went and did a Covid test at CVS Saturday as I wanted a current result incase I was delayed in my arrival. It came back Sunday night but CVS's My Chart is not available to open outside of the US so I had to call for results.

Saturday @ noon I received a notice that I needed to upload my vaccine card. During the initial sign up there was no que to enter this so I thought you would show it on arrival. I was able to quickly upload a photo of it I had on my phone.
4 pm I reached out to Lynette on the status of acceptance as my flight left at 5:30 am the next am. She indicated they were still working on arrivals for that day but it would come. I got approval at 5:30 pm. I suggest uploading your vaccine card with another document such as test results.

Sunday - While sitting and waiting to take off out of CLT to STT I saw the BVI Alive Facebook posts about the Saturday ferry disaster. I looked into a Cape Air flight vs ferry from STT. One was available but was not able to book fast enough before take off. When I was able too it was booked. I called Dolphin from the airport and they could have taken me but would have needed to know that morning. Ferry it was with fingers crossed.

STT arrival ~ you get in a line after departing where you show your Green code to get it. People had it on their phones and printed. Both worked. I thought this would have been done on the outbound flight and not at arrival. Temperature is taken at that time.
If you want your rum shot I was told it is by the duty free shop, ask and tip and you may get one. LOL

Taxi- Ugh.....STT on Sunday was BUSY. There was nobody else going to the ferry at the time so the put me in a crowded cab...the cab driver saw the panic in my eyes and noticed the group traveling together had taken off their masks. He scolded them, asked if I was ok and warned them to behave on the island. I just faced the window and said a little prayer. He dropped me first and apologized for their bad behavior. He commented there are a lot of rude people coming these days.

I got to the terminal @ 2;15. There was about 2 groups of people sitting there still waiting on the approval to come in. I gave them Wonder Woman Lynette's contact info (BVI Alive) and they reached out to her. I arrived hungry and the Pump Room is apparently closed Sundays (never knew...never arrive on Sunday). A girl said she was walking to McDonalds and we went together. I found the deli in Frenchman's and grabbed a sandwich and another for the ferry and lots of water. I was prepared to wait and not starve.

Ferry boarded a little late as I think they were waiting on approvals. Turns out the girl I walked with was Lynette's cousin.....she was awesome and told me to stick with her. I was told there were 72 people on the ferry,

We arrived at 5:50 and they had us wait and get off in 2 groups. 1st group was families and people going to other islands.

The process is not horrible but they do need to work smarter and not harder.

1st window you give the person your name, email ,phone, where you are staying.....everything you put in the portal they have to rewrite down. A printed copy for them to read off and ask you to verify would make their lives easier as its hard to hear w the barrier and masks. SUGGESTION - take a moment and write all this down so you can hand it to them to copy from.
They write your info on a sticker for your test vial ---preprinted on labels could be so easy for them to do.

Next window is the payment window. When I applied I had to pay 175.00 but the fee was 105.00 on my arrival date. This is where a bottle neck happens as if someone has not paid, everyone who has must wait while they run cards. They need 2 windows one paid and one not. They verified I paid and I was given a coupon to produce to cover my exit test which resolved the overpayment.

Next stop is a lady sitting w baskets containing trackers. She has to sift through all of them looking for the baggy w your name on it. I was given a cell phone as a tracker. I overheard the woman telling the person in front of me they needed to report in by taking a photo in the morning and evening. When I received my tracker my photo was taken and I was told to keep it charged. I politely asked if I did not need to do anything what is the tracker doing.....she replied its doing what its supposed to do. Later I realized she did not know either.

Covid Test was not horrible but I have had a few now and this was the only one I thought touched my brain.

I was through immigration quickly and in my cab at 7 pm.

My all clear came 26 hours after I arrived.

Hope this helps someone!
Thanks to all who helped me!

BVI Sponsors
Re: My Sunday 5/16 Ferry and entry experience [Re: bagsarepacked] #255931
05/18/2021 06:49 PM
05/18/2021 06:49 PM
Northern Virginia
ecm56 Offline
Traveler
ecm56  Offline
Traveler
Northern Virginia
Frenchtown Deli is a delight if you have some time before your ferry. The McDonalds . . . not so much . . . but what do you expect.

Re: My Sunday 5/16 Ferry and entry experience [Re: bagsarepacked] #255932
05/18/2021 06:54 PM
05/18/2021 06:54 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
I really like Frenchtown Deli. I always get a great Sandwich there.
G

Re: My Sunday 5/16 Ferry and entry experience [Re: bagsarepacked] #255943
05/18/2021 08:17 PM
05/18/2021 08:17 PM
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
An island state of mind
They have great breakfast sandwiches.