Member Spotlight
CanuckTravlr
CanuckTravlr
Toronto, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
8 registered members (xrayman67, michaelj, Manpot, nevar37, Todd_Melinda_K, SXMScubaman, 2 invisible), 373 guests, and 74 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
First Time Charter - Help Me Decide #257679
06/09/2021 10:23 AM
06/09/2021 10:23 AM
S
scz Offline OP
scz  Offline OP
S
We have been invited on a week long boat charter (on a catamaran) with family this winter. We will be sailing around the USVI, if Covid is still an issue or the BVI, if restrictions have been lifted. Neither my husband nor myself are good swimmers and both have some reservations about the trip in general (though we really would like to go). Are there any fellow grandparents out there that have taken a similar trip and can give some feedback? Are there many places in the BVI/St. Thomas/St. John we would have to swim to (as opposed to taking a dinghy) or can we manage getting to most of the "hot" spots by dinghy? All help would be greatly appreciated as would recommendations for restaurants/places to go/sample itineraries and charter companies.

Thanks so much.

(Note I also posted this question on the St. Thomas boards)

BVI Sponsors
Re: First Time Charter - Help Me Decide [Re: scz] #257687
06/09/2021 11:00 AM
06/09/2021 11:00 AM
R
Rush Offline
Traveler
Rush  Offline
Traveler
R
We just returned from the USVI with my parents (77). It's the 3rd sailing we have taken them on over the past 5-6 years. There is almost always a way to get ashore via dinghy. Getting in and out of the dinghy can be tricky, however, and we were always very slow and cautious, particularly with my mother. If you hit a key snorkling spot, such as the Indians, you will probably just want to stay aboard while the others snorkel. But the view and breeze is always great. The Baths is a major attraction that you can access via the water (via swim or paddleboard), but I would suggest that you would want to go to Leverick and take a cab there. But, you also have to hike down to it and through little caves etc. You should probably research if it is something you would feel comfortable doing.

In general you will find most folks on this forum with a very pro bias. We all love the nature, the people, the beach restaurants and bars, and just the overall vibe. And there is no better way to bond with family and friends. Everyone of our trips is memorable.

There plenty of great posts for itineraries in either forum (look for Captain Jay's for the USVI), and here is a recent one for the BVI below

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubb...to-bvis-need-suggestions.html#Post255558

Re: First Time Charter - Help Me Decide [Re: scz] #257688
06/09/2021 11:04 AM
06/09/2021 11:04 AM
Southeast of Disorder
Time Will Tell Offline
Traveler
Time Will Tell  Offline
Traveler
Southeast of Disorder
The short answer to your unasked question is GO! You will have a great time. And bonus to create amazing memories of the trip with the grandchildren.

I cannot say that I have done much sailing in the USVI - though have done lots from land in St John. I am sure others can tell you about the dinghy options for the hot spots. If swimming is your weakness, get a Mae West or similar for when you are swimming to shore or snorkeling. It doesn't need to be inflated unless you feel you need it or get into trouble. If you are really worried about the boat sinking - not a particular concern of mine, but have met people who were deathly worried - then get something like this PFD and wear it while on the boat.

You'll have a great time! If you decide to go to the BVI, TMM is a great charter company to work with, or check out my boat Time Will Tell - I can give you a great rate!

Fair Winds!

Peter
s/y Time Will Tell (2019 Lagoon 42)
peter@syTimeWillTell.com

Re: First Time Charter - Help Me Decide [Re: scz] #257789
06/10/2021 12:31 PM
06/10/2021 12:31 PM
Billings, MT
harleybuffett Offline
Traveler
harleybuffett  Offline
Traveler
Billings, MT
I'm in my 60's and not a great swimmer...we are hoping ( fingers crossed ) to charter for the 4th time in October. It is a blast!!!! I use a noodle, the dinghy or a paddleboard and sometimes a life jacket depending on the circumstances. And quite honestly...I'm afraid of deep water ( I know.....what?????????? ). But the water is gin clear and so beautiful........It truly is a magical vacation...you should go!

Re: First Time Charter - Help Me Decide [Re: scz] #258807
06/20/2021 01:18 PM
06/20/2021 01:18 PM
Georgia & South Carolina
D
Deepcut Offline
Traveler
Deepcut  Offline
Traveler
D
Georgia & South Carolina
We took my in-laws when they were 79. Motherin law took a "ski belt" as she was use to using this while floating in the lake. If possible, take a snorkeling class/instructuction before your trip to learn how to clear mask. Snorkeling is super fun and does not require being a good swimmer. As stated above, snorkel with a noodle as it gives you security and also makes you more visible / and easier to be spotted by your group if many people in the water. Can take dingy to everywhere ... at the Baths, there is a significant swim to shore, but can swim the rope. We prefer to do the baths as a land trip, visiting from The Top Of The Bathes... And due to path thru boulders, may want to just view from boat.

But BVI and sail trip was very memorable to in-laws, and just in time as now their agility (and health) has gone down significantly. GO!

Wes
s/v Sea Tiger (2022 Lagoon 46)
www.BareBoatBVI.com

Re: First Time Charter - Help Me Decide [Re: scz] #258831
06/20/2021 05:02 PM
06/20/2021 05:02 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Offline
Traveler
bailau  Offline
Traveler
B
Washington DC
completely agree with deepcut on belts and noodles...just went to leverick by boat and then taxi to baths followed by dinner at coco maya

Dinghy to dock and beach at most places.

Deepcut you are well represented on the Cow Wreck Hall of Fame...