Member Spotlight
MrTim-BTV
MrTim-BTV
Essex Junction, VT
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
42 registered members (Bernd, duke63, Compskier, KirkB, SXMScubaman, charlie, Kmon, TC42, camview, timnboston, Mbrott, SXMBND, xrayman67, cwoody, Fran, GeorgeC1, taraavo, lcote, RatmansWife, Kennys, EdB, BSer, Kevin_B, biminis, jazzgal, SeeDiver, foreversxm, davidandsusannj, Reid, MKGrey, 12 invisible), 762 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Thoughts on transiting through SJU #269128
11/15/2021 11:06 PM
11/15/2021 11:06 PM
Fort Myers, FL
paw Offline OP
Traveler
paw  Offline OP
Traveler
Fort Myers, FL
Had a great, but quick week long charter. It was nice to see things opening up again.
I flew JetBlue FLL - SJU - EIS codeshare with Silver. the trip down was routine. The trip home, not so much.
The Silver flight from EIS to SJU was 2 hours delayed. I left 2 ½ hours to connect. The Silver rep knew that when he checked me in at EIS. He couldn't find another flight that day so booked me the following day and provided me with an overnight hotel stay at the "SJU Airport Hotel". This hotel is actually built in what seemed to be an unused/abandoned part of the SJU airport. I needed to walk through multiple slumbering homeless making my way from the baggage claim area to the hotel. It definitely felt like a "lock your doors tight" kinda place and most of the folks there had airline vouchers in their hands.

I know that it's not theoretically necessary to use the Puerto Rico travelsafe portal when just transiting, however, you never know when your simple transit may turn into an overnight, especially with Silver. Fortunately, I registered on the portal prior to departure just to be on the safe side and used a randomly selected airport hotel for my place of stay. Glad I did that as it just saved another hassle with whole travel experience.

Not sure if this is typical for Silver since I generally use Cape Air. Next time I'll be more specific with them when I book.

Also, as a side note, the JetBlue app would not allow me to check in nor could I check in on their website on my phone. The silver rep was unable to print a JetBlue boarding pass, so I would not have been able to just transit the SJU airport even if the Silver flight was on time as I didn't have a connecting boarding pass in my possession.

Although it was a frustrating 2 day journey home, it was still worth it.

Paul

"Their freezin' up in Buffalo, stuck in their cars and I'm lying here 'neath the sun and the stars" ... JB
BVI Sponsors
Re: Thoughts on transiting through SJU [Re: paw] #269134
11/16/2021 01:32 AM
11/16/2021 01:32 AM
CA
G
Gary D Offline
Gary D  Offline
G
CA
Bummer about that return trip but glad you had a great time nonetheless. We’re heading to BVI on Wednesday for a 10 day trip and have similar concerns about transiting San Juan airport. The TravelSafe app won’t let you choose a duration of less than one day and requires an entry for lodging, but we’re just switching planes! I emailed the contact they show on the site, but haven’t heard back. Any insight from this esteemed group would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Thoughts on transiting through SJU [Re: paw] #269140
11/16/2021 08:32 AM
11/16/2021 08:32 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
The portal is not required if just transiting.

Re: Thoughts on transiting through SJU [Re: Gary D] #269142
11/16/2021 08:39 AM
11/16/2021 08:39 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by Gary D
Bummer about that return trip but glad you had a great time nonetheless. We’re heading to BVI on Wednesday for a 10 day trip and have similar concerns about transiting San Juan airport. The TravelSafe app won’t let you choose a duration of less than one day and requires an entry for lodging, but we’re just switching planes! I emailed the contact they show on the site, but haven’t heard back. Any insight from this esteemed group would be greatly appreciated!

Don't fill out the portal if you are in-transit. If you get stuck like Paul did, you can always fill it out on arrival. It takes 5 minutes.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com