Member Spotlight
RickinAtlanta
RickinAtlanta
Woodstock, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (CaribbeanCanadians, Tonythepilot, tradewinds, eightzerobits, sugarae, eilandmens, Kiles41, Travel Talker, Cap’n Rog, SXMScubaman, sxm2001, JandIrene, ChiTownHarry, jrw, RickinAtlanta, SXMbeacher, mark37, charlie, SXMBND, GeorgeC1, pl3, SeaLady29, Kennys, Kevin_B, 13 invisible), 983 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
An island Saturday is like…… #280917
04/23/2022 10:34 PM
04/23/2022 10:34 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline OP
Traveler
pat  Offline OP
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
A great day to do island things that don’t involve Sun, sand, sea or swimming pools. In our case it was a great day to connect with island friends and do some shopping and island errands.

We had a very light breakfast here in our villa as we knew we would eventually be enjoying lunch in Philipsburg. We waited for the taxi driver BSV had ordered for us. They have an arrangement with a driver who regularly works with them and their guests and since we chose not to drive ourselves and deal with parking in town this was perfect. We had a plan B all mapped out but it turned out to be unnecessary.

Our driver was exactly on time and whisked us into town in his chariot. I actually enjoyed having him do the driving leaving DH free to enjoy his surrounds for a change. And no, I still don’t drive here on the island. Never have - never will! I was also surprised at the fare - somehow I thought it would be much higher.

Traffic was relatively light and we got into town just in time to do some serious damage to our Cap One credit card. We first met Manu Budhrani, the owner of Caribbean Gems in 1983, the year he opened his first store on the island, way back when we were all just kids. Over all these many years he’s taken very good care of us and likewise, of all our friends and family we’ve sent him over the years. We’ve been blessed to watch his kids grow up as he has ours and now we can share the joy of seeing his kids enter the next stage of their lives.

Anyhow, purchased the items I was looking for through one of his associates and just as we were completing the transaction, Manu arrived and very shortly we headed to Old Street to have lunch at the French Touch and catch up. Manu’s wife had gone ahead and secured a table and we spent the next couple of hours visiting with each other and all of us with Jean Pierre, the owner of French Touch, as well. We were saddened to learn from him the original owner of Antoine’s had recently passed. There is so much old island history wrapped up there. In any event we had a nice long and leisurely lunch, only wishing the day might have been just a bit slower paced for JP but it’s good to see that his business is good and apparently thriving.

Spent a little time discussing politics, both SXM and USA, and changes in the island, which are monumental for those with island longevity behind them. Interesting to hear the viewpoints of so many who have the perspective of living there as opposed to those of us who come for a few days or weeks and then leave to return again down the road. In general, the consensus seems to be the island economy is getting better having survived all they’ve had to deal with since Irma wreaked her havoc and then, short years later the pandemic hit. Lord knows, the island deserves a break. Let’s just hope it continues along that track.

Anyhoo, our driver picked us up in a timely manner and returned us to BSV where we attempted to connect with our daughter and son in law who had just arrived for a long weekend on the 11:00 am JB flight just as we were leaving to head into town.

They were soon off to Driftwood to meet friends and we were off to Astra for dinner as the spirit moved us. Our dinner was good and the service and setting there is nice enough. We both had steak - nothing extraordinary - but still good.

And here we are, up past our bedtime and soon ready to head in that general direction. Looking forward to breakfast with the kids tomorrow morning.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
SXM Sponsors
Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: pat] #280919
04/24/2022 06:44 AM
04/24/2022 06:44 AM
East Haven, CT
Wingman Offline
Traveler
Wingman  Offline
Traveler
East Haven, CT
Good morning Pat, I just caught up on all your trip reports. So glad you're enjoying yourselves in our lovely paradise. I'm home just short of 3 weeks, but you are keeping the memories alive as if I haven't left, Thank you. Keep doing a great job at relaxing and having fun.

Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: pat] #280920
04/24/2022 07:18 AM
04/24/2022 07:18 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline OP
Traveler
pat  Offline OP
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Hi, Mike and you’re very welcome. Enjoying St.nMaarten is a tough job, right? But we’re giving it our best shot! And, I might add, succeeding quite nicely. at that. Maybe not everyone’s idea of a perfect vacation but it sure works for us. Sad we’re winding.down but you’ve got to go home in order to come back.

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: pat] #280921
04/24/2022 07:58 AM
04/24/2022 07:58 AM
RI
jomarc Offline
Traveler
jomarc  Offline
Traveler
RI
Good morning Pat.

I, too, am thoroughly enjoying your posts! It’s nice to hear about the island’s recovery.

Enjoy breakfast with your family.

Last edited by jomarc; 04/24/2022 07:59 AM.

Jo-

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.
Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: pat] #280922
04/24/2022 08:06 AM
04/24/2022 08:06 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Pat--I guess if we ever venture into Pburg again, I need to check out the French touch. It does sound like another lovely day. Hope you are able to catch up with that wandering daughter today! smile

Carol Hill
Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: pat] #280925
04/24/2022 08:47 AM
04/24/2022 08:47 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline OP
Traveler
pat  Offline OP
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Carol - not sure a trip into town is worth your effort - we go to see our friends moreso than anything else. Lunch at French Touch was definitely yummy. We each had a different entree as our main course and we shared a fruit plate around the table. Got a quick lesson from JP in choosing the best pineapples in the bargain. His fruit is always at the height of ripeness and if it isn’t perfect, he doesn’t offer it.

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: pat] #280928
04/24/2022 08:57 AM
04/24/2022 08:57 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
pat--we enjoy going out to lunch now, almost more than dinner. Often make it our main meal of the day. I love French food also. Will take a look for a menu online..

edit--I didn't realize it was on Old Street, which I have always loved. Unfortunately, I think the places I used to enjoy there are all gone, like that glass jewelry store, blown away by Irma. What stores are there now??

Last edited by Carol_Hill; 04/24/2022 09:01 AM.

Carol Hill
Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: pat] #280930
04/24/2022 09:11 AM
04/24/2022 09:11 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline OP
Traveler
pat  Offline OP
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Sadly, Carol. I have no clue about the stores there as I’m not a shopper unless I have something definite in mind and then I shop with a plan. Yesterdays plan was a gift for my middle granddaughter who is graduating from her Masters program in May. Mission accomplished.

I don’t know if JP/FT has an online presence or not but their daily offerings are very good. It works for us because they offer something for every taste in our group and the salads are lovely.

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: Carol_Hill] #280933
04/24/2022 10:25 AM
04/24/2022 10:25 AM
Cobourg Ontario Canada
J
jeepers Offline
Traveler
jeepers  Offline
Traveler
J
Cobourg Ontario Canada
Carol, the French touch is a lovely cafe with great food & just across from it on old street is Oh my Goddess. Lovely mother & daughter from Canada own it. Airy cool gauze cotton clothes not see through & lovely reasonably priced jewelery not gold. ( some made from a nut from equador) I bought a necklace & earrings. I think there were pics in one of my posts earlier this year. They have a nice chair for the hubbies to sit in the air conditioning. The tops I bought are cool & very comfortable. Worth the visit.
We had lunch then got take out for dinner. Very nice curry he uses there as well.

Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: jeepers] #280939
04/24/2022 12:19 PM
04/24/2022 12:19 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
jeepers--thanks, re the store info. We will see what happens this time, whether we make time to go downtown. If so, I think that sounds like a lovely lunch.

Carol Hill
Re: An island Saturday is like…… [Re: pat] #280958
04/24/2022 11:10 PM
04/24/2022 11:10 PM
US
F
FatCat04 Offline
Traveler
FatCat04  Offline
Traveler
F
US
What a wonderful day. Sounds like you are having a wonderful, relaxing time. I have so been enjoying your reports. Thank you!

[Linked Image]