Member Spotlight
jmon
jmon
42.99N 76.46W
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Dutchman, hathead, lookinatfifty, Lovetheocean, LuSea
Who's Online Now
22 registered members (Jerry_R, beachy, Fitzhughlaw, George1234, Todd_Melinda_K, Midsouth, TravelHat, ARC, wct49, Lionsail, actionone, GeorgeC1, ydrwrb1, Uksimonusa, GaryB, DEL, TRIM, 5 invisible), 847 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grenadines questions #28377
08/05/2014 02:46 PM
08/05/2014 02:46 PM
Wyoming
J
juicyfruit Offline OP
Traveler
juicyfruit  Offline OP
Traveler
J
Wyoming
We are entering the planning stage for a trip to the Grenadines between March and May 2015 for a ten day charter. Four couples and we’ve contacted both TMM (repeat discount) and Horizon about their four berth four head catamarans. We would like input about positives and negatives with the following options;

1. One-way (Horizon) from St. Lucia to Grenada?
2. One-way (Horizon) from St. Vincent to Grenada?
3. Round trip (TMM) St. Vincent?
4. Is the weather still okay 4/15 (Horizon low-mid) and/or 5/4 (TMM low-mid)?

We’ll probably want further advice on travel once we decide on charter options from you seasoned Grenadines sailors. Thanks!!

Sponsors
Re: Grenadines questions [Re: juicyfruit] #28378
08/05/2014 05:30 PM
08/05/2014 05:30 PM
Massachusetts
maytrix Offline
Traveler
maytrix  Offline
Traveler
Massachusetts
We've been once and started and ended in St. Lucia. We had 8 days. We spent the first night as a sleep aboard and then the 2nd and last nights by the Pitons. In between we sailed from St. Lucia to the Tobago Cays and back with a stop at the Sunsail base (no longer there now) in St. Vincent, a stop in Canouan, Bequia (2 stops) and the Tobago Cays.

Any of your plans would work. I'd just look at where you want to stop and see what works best. If you'd rather spend more time in any given location then option 2 or 3 would probably be best. If you want to cover as much area as you can, then option 1 would be good.

St. Lucia was pretty easy to get in and out of. Not sure on the others, so I'd look at that. When we went, we could have started in Grenada or St. Lucia and chose St. Lucia due to easier and less expensive air travel.

In looking at boat options you might as well check moorings and sunsail - sunsail does price match too.

Matt
Re: Grenadines questions [Re: juicyfruit] #28379
08/07/2014 11:51 PM
08/07/2014 11:51 PM
Rockford, Michigan
aarpskier Offline
Traveler
aarpskier  Offline
Traveler
Rockford, Michigan
I have done the Grenadines 3 times and am planning a 4th trip for the fall of 2015. In 2005 and 2007, we did Moorings one-ways from St Lucia (then based in Marigot Bay) to Canouan, with stops in Bequia, Mustique, Tobago Cays and Mayreau. One trip in April and the other in September, and both were great. Our 2009 trip, Canouan to Canouan in late December, was a disaster. I learned about the Christmas Winds. 8' to 10' seas, and never got past the north end of Canouan. Never again! All were 6-7 day trips.

Moorings has now moved its St Lucia base to Rodney Bay, a very long way from the airport, and has closed its Canouan base. We are therefore looking at a Grenada to Grenada round trip to all of the usual places, hoping to take advantage of the southeast fall winds.

Given the time of year you are looking at, I would support the one-way plan. 10 days will give you plenty of time, if you want to do the round trip, but sailing back north may be problematic. As you get further into your planning, let me know (here or by PM) and I can tell you about what I consider to be the highlights on Bequia, Mustique, Tobago Cays, Mayreau, etc..

Mark

Re: Grenadines questions [Re: aarpskier] #28380
08/08/2014 07:00 AM
08/08/2014 07:00 AM
Wyoming
J
juicyfruit Offline OP
Traveler
juicyfruit  Offline OP
Traveler
J
Wyoming
Thanks aarpskier! We're still deciding which way we want to go. Your input will help. Once we decide, I'll probably ask about the stops, flight info and what to look for with the customs stops by PM; appreciate the offer!! Your weather problems in 2009 was some of the concern with starting in St. Lucia. As it will be our first trip to the area, don't want to plan too much, but don't want to miss out either! I was kind of leaning towards a one way from St. Vincent, but doesn't really sound like we can lose in a beautiful area like the Grenadines. Thanks!

Re: Grenadines questions [Re: juicyfruit] #28381
08/08/2014 10:08 AM
08/08/2014 10:08 AM
Maryland
Twanger Offline
Traveler
Twanger  Offline
Traveler
Maryland
A few years back we did a 10-day R/T to PSV from St. Vincent, chartering from Barefoot.
Worked out nice.

BTW, the advantage of starting in St. Vincent is that you can visit the Tobago Cays, and even a few points south, without having to take time to clear customs.

Re: Grenadines questions [Re: Twanger] #28382
09/21/2014 08:01 PM
09/21/2014 08:01 PM
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
caribbeangirl13 Offline
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Offline
Traveler
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
Definitely do one way St. Vincent to Grenada and take some time to enjoy Grenada at the end of your trip. If this is your first time you will see that there is plenty of sailing without adding in the long trip from St. Lucia to St. Vincent.

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: Grenadines questions [Re: caribbeangirl13] #28383
11/16/2014 08:37 AM
11/16/2014 08:37 AM
South East US, Carolinas coast
sailn Offline
Traveler
sailn  Offline
Traveler
South East US, Carolinas coast
we did st vincent to the Cays, then back to st vincent. Did not go to Grenada.
Did the islands ever establish a sea rescue service?

Re: Grenadines questions [Re: sailn] #28384
11/16/2014 10:54 AM
11/16/2014 10:54 AM
S
Sunset_Sammy Offline
Traveler
Sunset_Sammy  Offline
Traveler
S
I would go for St. Lucia to Grenada, one way.
Day 1: Rodney Bay to Soufriere, anchor at the base of Petit Piton, have dinner at Bennys Harmony Beach Restaurant
Day 2: Leave early make the boisterous crossing to St Vincent (gets rougher the last 1/4 of the way), anchor at Cummberland Bay take Dingy, taxi or bus to Wallibalou to clear in (officials arrive around 3-4 pm) have dinner at Mama Elmas, make arrangments when you arrive.
Day 3: Head south, lunch stop at Young Island Cut, snorkle on the opposite side of Young Island, make the passage to Bequia (can be a little rough)
Days 4 & 5 Bequia, grab a mooring off the Frangipani, walk around Port Elizabeth (get your fresh fruits and veg from stand around town rether than the Rasta Fruit Market, too expensive). In the morning listen for the conch shell horn, that means the fishermen are starting to come in (fresh tuna, dorado, wahoo for 8 EC per pound). Places to visit Jacks, upscale beach bar (saw Mick Jagger there once), Bequia Beach Hotel on Friendship Bay, nice walk across the island and lunch stop. Take a taxi tour(pickup truck with seats in back) around the island, should be about $30 US for a couple hours. Stock up on Captain Bligh Rum at Knghts Grocery, cheaper than on St. Vincent.
Day 6: Mystique if you want to see how the "other half" live, they charge you for 3 days ($80 US) even if you only stay for one. Or Canouan, take a mooring the holding there is poor and the anchorage can be rolly. Mind the dingy, the dock is notorious for damaging dingys or take a water taxi ashore.
Day 7: Tobago Cays, snorkle with the turtles, hike Barbadol (wait thats a shave cream isn't it, well it's spelled something like that) have a lobster dinner on the beach, Mr. Fabulous is the best, mention "the big man" from Skyelark and he will take care of you.
Day 8: Union Island, either a mooring at Cliffton or anchor at Chatham Bay (around the back side), you will have to take a taxi to Cliffton to clear out>
Day 9:Carriacou, they have mooring balls off Sandy island now or anchor at Tyrell Bay there is a customs office there now (I think).
Day 10: Grenada, spend a couple days exploring the island, lovely palce with some of the friendliest people in the Windwards
You could drop a day in Bequia to give you a little more time somewhere else.
Itinerary looks a little rushed, but we often do a 10 R/T Rodney Bay to Petit St. Vincent, trip report is in the archives. Enjoy your trip!!

Drink all day at home, your friends worry about you; do it on vacation and they say "what a good time you're having". Save your friends needless worry, travel more!

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva