Member Spotlight
Aries4
Aries4
Morrisville, PA/West End, Tortola
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (Fletch, nevar37, taraavo, OceanSong, pburke40, RickG, Scooter, duckfat, BillB42, marybeth, RonDon, tradewinds, sunmantwo, Sandsailsun, luvtotravel, SXMBND, johndana274, Tonythepilot, KirkB, lcote, Uksimonusa, MKGrey, Rbailey, louismcc, Time Will Tell, John, ColoBoater, tpcook, Fred, 15 invisible), 967 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New places to stop #285734
07/06/2022 05:43 PM
07/06/2022 05:43 PM
C
CherylWegner Offline OP
Traveler
CherylWegner  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Hello all-
First, many thanks to all of you experts that have kept me informed over the years.
Next, my group will be on a crewed charter next spring, and this will be our last trip with our beloved crew before they retire. We've sailed a half dozen or so times and we've been to all the spots that are popular; White Bay, Cooper Island, The Baths, Anegada, etc. Since this will be our last time down for a while, I'm wondering if there are little "off the beaten path" places to see that are worth stopping at. We always eat on the boat, so we don't need restaurants, and if there was a bar we wouldn't pass it up but it's not necessary. We love quiet places with great snorkeling.
Any suggestions?

BVI Sponsors
Re: New places to stop [Re: CherylWegner] #285736
07/06/2022 06:05 PM
07/06/2022 06:05 PM
Houston, TX
Matt W Offline
Traveler
Matt W  Offline
Traveler
Houston, TX
Eustatia Sound if it's not redlined. Best in settled conditions, and check the swell forecast. Great snorkeling on the reef, quiet, beaches on Prickly pear to explore.

Muskmelon Bay: I love this as a lunch stop on the way back from Anegada vs. the more crowded Monkey Point. I've actually heard there are mooring balls here now (maybe was a vessel quarantine spot). There's a small patch of sand that can fit 1-2 boats if it's anchoring only, pretty close to the rocky shore. Great snorkeling and it's fun to watch the birds fish. Backwinding can be an issue here.

I used to put Benures Bay on this list, but I think there are mooring balls now. Still much quieter relative to the Bight. Lots of sea life and you can hike all the way to Pirate's Bight if you're up for it for a cocktail. Great views. Sunsets here over the Indians and St. John are epic.

Re: New places to stop [Re: CherylWegner] #285737
07/06/2022 07:04 PM
07/06/2022 07:04 PM
Bay Area
H
Husker Offline
Traveler
Husker  Offline
Traveler
H
Bay Area
Cheryl,
- Matt is spot on with Eustatia Sound. Great spot.
- Benures Bay at Norman does have balls now, but it is nice and quiet the times we've been there.
- There is some nice snorkeling at Salt Island. Anchor off the beach with the old house and pier and snorkel your way east (toward Cooper) along the rocks. Best area is the point. Another, more challenging snorkeling spot nearby is Vanishing Rock (best in calm seas). Its in the channel between Salt and Cooper. We usually assign a designated dinghy driver to take us there and hover nearby.
- I always enjoy Diamond Reef (Marina Cay) for snorkeling.
- Smugglers Cove (back side of Tortola down toward the west end) for a day stop.
- Take the conch island tour on Angada and snorkel the reef off the east end. Epic. (Kelly and Sherwin do the tours and its pretty much the only way to get there that I'm aware of....those guys know how to navigate the coral heads out that way).
- B-line bar at Little Jost.
Enjoy your trip!

Re: New places to stop [Re: CherylWegner] #285738
07/06/2022 07:52 PM
07/06/2022 07:52 PM
Chesapeake Bay, USA
N
Nibj Offline
Traveler
Nibj  Offline
Traveler
N
Chesapeake Bay, USA
We spent a nice quiet night on Long Bay, Virgin Gorda (not Tortola) last time we visited. There is a walk up to the spine of the point from the beach, and a huge barracuda.