Member Spotlight
BVIslander
BVIslander
Road Town
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
8 registered members (BillR, Wingman, Mikel, michaelj, SANFILIP, sxmpete, 2 invisible), 844 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sun-Wed #288688
09/15/2022 06:14 AM
09/15/2022 06:14 AM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
Until yesterday the previous three days had been a haze of inactivity, raising the celebration of sloth to a new level. We'd stayed at the hotel venturing out only for breakfast bakery runs, a trip to Super-U, and the embarrassingly short drive to the GC parking lot for dinner--a 1 km round trip journey.

My appetite has become variable, matching my sleep patterns. Still, we are enjoying simpler meals, and somehow a one hour mid afternoon nap replaces 4 hours of sleep at night. I am not a nap person.

The restaurant shut down Monday for a 3 day annual cleaning/maintenance routine, which was no big deal for me, except the bar followed suit. Fortunately, they have Ti Punch in town. Someone said there were only 10 rooms occupied, so the timing of this activity was minimally disruptive. The restaurant and bar reopen today, just in time for TD 7.

I'd reserved 2 orders of bouchot mussels for lunch on Sunday, but they somehow missed their flight Saturday, so we resorted to Plan B--leftovers, crackers and cheese, deli meats. A new mussel shipment came in yesterday, and the meal has been rescheduled for Friday--weather permitting.

The Grand Case dining scene is sleepy. We thought we'd do Bistrot Caraibes on Monday, but they were closed--for the season. Figuring we'd try Le Cottage, we passed a closed L' Auberge Gourmand (seasonal/health?), La Villa (seasonal) and Monday closures at Le Cottage and The Patio. Ocean 82 was also closed. Anyway, we ended up back at Villa Royale. Very sleepy this time of year.

Tuesday was Lolos, and once again I marveled at how they sell an order of ribs for $8, making a profit (I certainly hope) and employing all those people, filling me up while offering part of my meal to 3 hungry cats.

All of us at GCBC received a note yesterday about the approaching storm and the preparations the hotel is making. Nothing serious just yet, but they're securing loose objects like chairs and cushions. We've been though 2 hurricanes here, and the preparations and communications were excellent, so the approaching depression/storm is not a worry. Plus, in the event of further strengthening, it's reassuring to know that there's a hurricane shelter on site about 100 feet away.

We're preparing to hunker down for the next 2 or 3 days. Just part of coming here in prime Hurricane Season. We'll get another update from the Hotel at 8:00 am AST.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Sun-Wed [Re: cruzer] #288694
09/15/2022 09:35 AM
09/15/2022 09:35 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report. In the past, Bistrot has not closed for hurricane season, I don't think. Many restauranteurs maybe are giving themselves some time off, hoping that this season will be a good one.

Stay safe!!!

Carol Hill