Member Spotlight
jagmansr
jagmansr
Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (SXMScubaman, eightzerobits, davidandsusannj, GeorgeC1, BillDauterive, marybeth, Kennys, steve74, jbutah, StMartinFan, pandpfromcanada, CaribbeanCanadians, MrEZgoin, YachtReprise, polaris, Kegoangoango, 9 invisible), 814 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
American Airlines #297339
03/11/2023 03:18 PM
03/11/2023 03:18 PM
Boston
D
DAS Offline OP
Traveler
DAS  Offline OP
Traveler
D
Boston
Last Tuesday, March 7, my wife and I were scheduled to leave Sint Maarten on American Airlines (AA) flight 724 at 5:02 PM. We were to connect in Miami for our flight to Boston (AA1054). We had used our AA miles to reserve business class seats.

On Tuesday, our AA flight was delayed, then delayed further, then cancelled because of a maintenance issue. After spending 5.5 hours in Juliana Airport, we were given vouchers for taxis, a dinner, and a room at the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort. We were directed to a bus, transfered to the arrival area, required to pass through passport control again, pick up our luggage, and get a taxi. After arrival at the Sonesta, we, and all the other passengers from the flight assigned to that hotel, were told to take a seat and wait for the manager to update the system. We tried several times, as did others, to check in, but was told we had to wait. We had to wait over one hour, others over 1.5 hours, to check in. The Maho staff were brusque and unhelpful that evening. I tried to call AA Tuesday night to check on other flights for Wednesday, but no one answered the local AA phone. I could find no international number to call the AA Executive Platinum desk.

The AA app and AA emails later reported that our flight would leave at 7:00 AM on Wednesday, March 8, then the time was changed to 9:00 AM. We checked out of the hotel, then stopped when we met people returning from the airport saying that AA had changed the departure time to 12:00 noon. I called the local AA representative again, connected, and was told that if we wanted to change our itinerary the only available flights would be on Sunday. We went to the airport. AA delayed our flight again, and again, and again, and after waiting 9.5 hours, the flight took off ~ 7:30 PM. In the meantime AA let two other flights to Miami depart on Wednesday - but did not make those seats available to all the passengers from March 7. We missed our connection to Boston again, and had to stay overnight in the Miami International Airport Hotel. We were given economy class seats for our flight to Boston on Thursday, March 9.

We did make it home. And I understand that airplane problems can, and do, occur. But, the lack of AA customer service during those two days was very frustrating for us and the other passengers. It is perhaps time for us to accumulate miles on another airline.

SXM Sponsors
Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297340
03/11/2023 03:41 PM
03/11/2023 03:41 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
I would contact AA customer service via email. I had a major problem leaving my local airport last year, missed my connection, a day of vacation, car rental, etc. and all due to a maintenance issue. I kept precise notes of the timeline of the events and included that in my email to AA. I really expected little or nothing but they did eventually come through with some miles and that is how I am getting back to SXM tomorrow. AA cannot control the issues with the hotel but they are responsible for their mechanical issues and customer service.

Good luck.

Sadly, just about all the airlines are lacking in customer service. Sometimes you get lucky and other times you don't.

Since the thread you responded to is over a year old, I made your post into a new thread.

J.D.
Re: American Airlines [Re: ruralcarrier] #297341
03/11/2023 03:54 PM
03/11/2023 03:54 PM
Boston
D
DAS Offline OP
Traveler
DAS  Offline OP
Traveler
D
Boston
Thank you. I had tried to post my message this morning, but clearly did so incorrectly. For comparison, I flew Qatar Airlines to Abu Dhabi a month ago. Their customer service was exceptional. I wish they flew from Boston to St Martin.

Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297360
03/11/2023 08:31 PM
03/11/2023 08:31 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Last year when we had cancelled flights leaving SXM in May due to weather related issues we lost our Business First Class seats on our SXM to MIA to SEA flights that were on AA Miles. Long story is we had an extra night at our timeshare for that Friday night at Flamingo for the rescheduled Saturday departure. Got to MIA late so miss our connection. AA put us up in Miami, gave us food vouchers and provided transportation to and from Hotel. When I got home I contacted Customer Service and received the difference plus extra in miles from FC to Business and money vouchers towards next flights which we used to book for this May. They treated us right.

Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297363
03/11/2023 10:17 PM
03/11/2023 10:17 PM
Eastern NC, N Topsail Beach
S
SXMFOX Offline
Traveler
SXMFOX  Offline
Traveler
S
Eastern NC, N Topsail Beach
Talk about miles and compensation, trying to book miles with AA now and they want 130,000 per person to St Maarten from ILM. Nothing unusual about our travel arrangements, get the F—K O-T OF HERE! This is crazy.

Re: American Airlines [Re: SXMFOX] #297387
03/12/2023 11:08 AM
03/12/2023 11:08 AM
Boston
D
DAS Offline OP
Traveler
DAS  Offline OP
Traveler
D
Boston
For comparison, I considered using AA miles to fund a business trip from Boston to Paris in late May with a return in early June. AA required 648,500 miles (and $148.85). The value of AA miles are not what they used to be.

Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297388
03/12/2023 11:11 AM
03/12/2023 11:11 AM
C
Charkey2 Offline
Charkey2  Offline
C
Yesterday March 11, Traveled American NON STOP from SXM to PHL yesterday, Ugh - SXM reader board said go to gate 6, then moved us to 9, then back to 6, then on to gate 1.. outside loaded 1 bus but left the rest of us in the sun for awhile, but OK it's the Caribbean...got to the plane and then sat on the tarmack for over an hr and a half, then back to the gate because Pilot was over limit flying hours (I think due to SXM being SO unorganized) & they got message a rocket is being launched off Virginia coast & now we can't fly...finally pilot had enough time & approval to fly to Miami, there we had to deplane, do the customs thing and try to find where we go because it was never a connecting flight. AA communication was bad because we kept getting conflicting directions, get in line, scan passport and asked for our boarding pass - which we didn't have one! Was like a wild goose chase all over the huge Miami airport following ppl who's shirt I recognized from our flight. Finally made it to PHL at midnight (6 hrs later than orig schedule). I would love to help AA by telling them they just needed to have just 2 guides (front & back of line) to show us where to go as after running all over just to board the same plane (not sure why we had to get our luggage off only to put back on the same plane). The only reason we use AA is because the direct flight to SXM, otherwise I loath them.

Last edited by Charkey2; 03/12/2023 11:12 AM.
Re: American Airlines [Re: Charkey2] #297389
03/12/2023 11:27 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Charkey--Sounds like a really bad day. Glad you finally arrived.

Carol Hill
Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297390
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
This is purely from my personal experiences but we have had flights like this with AA and more recently with JB. Sad to say, it happens and I’m personally not willing to put all the blame on the airlines since the chaos in SXM has much to do with the state of flux the airport itself is in.

The good news, however, is if you take the time to write a thorough and concise explanation of what you experienced, the airlines will probably apologize profusely and compensate you generously with miles and/or vouchers for your inconvenience. At least, such was our personal experience with AA. Not so much with JB who gave away our paid for $$ extra space seats after we had checked in and were sitting in the executive lounge awaiting our boarding call.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297393
03/12/2023 11:32 AM
03/12/2023 11:32 AM
the Long Island
the captain Offline
Traveler
the captain  Offline
Traveler
the Long Island
Originally Posted by DAS
We had used our AA miles to reserve business class seats.

. After spending 5.5 hours in Juliana Airport, we were given vouchers for taxis, a dinner, and a room at the Sonesta Maho Beach Resort.

I could find no international number to call the AA Executive Platinum desk.

In the meantime AA let two other flights to Miami depart on Wednesday - but did not make those seats available to all the passengers from March 7.

But, the lack of AA customer service during those two days was very frustrating for us and the other passengers. It is perhaps time for us to accumulate miles on another airline.

We were almost in for shoes a few weeks ago. Booked J w miles, late departure ( juuuuust avoiding an extra might and hotel). Curious, Ive heard vouchers are not as good as cash. Are the vouchers physical like money? And for use only at certain places?

And as AA ExP, I know you guys have more....clout. But how can AA *make* seats available on those other flights assuming they are booked? Did you have seat inventory to view?

It's truly hit or miss. Flown B6 and AA to SXM, each had their issues. KLM had their pax on the ground almost 5 extra nights last week. No airlines are immune so Ive become less loyal to each airline.

Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297394
03/12/2023 11:34 AM
03/12/2023 11:34 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
And for another comparison our FC/Business return ticket from SXM to SEA cost us 60,000 miles with only 1 connection in MIA.

Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297404
03/12/2023 01:25 PM
03/12/2023 01:25 PM
Pennsylvania
debnken Offline
Traveler
debnken  Offline
Traveler
Pennsylvania
Reading all the issues with AA, and as some have had issues with JB as well, I had an issue with JB that I had posted in another thread and I also had and issue with UA from last fall. After contacting both airlines for restitution I was told they can make schedule changes and they are not held liable to pay for booked accomadatuons if missed. Both reps stated its in the "Contract of Carriage " and they don't reimburse for that. If it is their issue (plane maintenance, pilot hours etc) they will make good. JB rescheduled our return non stop booked last June from SXM to EWR to an overnight stay in Boston leaving the next afternoon. A hotel would be out of our pocket. Contract of Carriage. Aggrevating to say the least.

Re: American Airlines [Re: debnken] #297406
03/12/2023 01:36 PM
03/12/2023 01:36 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
debnken--If they make a schedule change before you leave home, to make a non-stop flight into an overnight, you have the right to CANCEL altogether and get your money back. Of course, that is assuming that you could get another flight that you find reasonable in price. If there is not another option, contact them BEFORE!!! the flight and try to get some accommodation from them. For example, changing the day you fly or the connection place, or maybe even get an upgrade. They know that they are required to give you your money back if they change your flight from a nonstop and they would rather not give you your money back.

Carol Hill
Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297418
03/12/2023 04:17 PM
03/12/2023 04:17 PM
Pennsylvania
debnken Offline
Traveler
debnken  Offline
Traveler
Pennsylvania
Carol, after my emails and phone conversation with JB (had to vent) I finally canceled the flight and got a refund. I was trying to say that the airlines have the upper hand with schedule changes because of "Contract of carriage"" that I don't believe many people read or dont understand. I was able to book another flight on another airline 4 months later (checked pricing to get a decent price closer to JBs) for our January vacation. It ended up costing more but no grief coming down. Waiting to see what the return trip holds (flying AA out of PHL)

Re: American Airlines [Re: debnken] #297423
03/12/2023 05:02 PM
03/12/2023 05:02 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
OK, I didn't understand that from your post. For sure, the airlines generally have you by the you know what hairs, but in some cases, you do have some options. That's not the norm, as in most cases, you just have to put up with it.

Carol Hill
Re: American Airlines [Re: DAS] #297426
03/12/2023 07:07 PM
03/12/2023 07:07 PM
Vancouver, WA
Todd Offline
Traveler
Todd  Offline
Traveler
Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted by DAS
For comparison, I considered using AA miles to fund a business trip from Boston to Paris in late May with a return in early June. AA required 648,500 miles (and $148.85). The value of AA miles are not what they used to be.

You need a travel consultant, and need to get your miles back for that trip and find another way. That is way too many for a trip like that especially having as much time as you do prior to travel, unless it was in the Ethiad Apartment or better. Even with declining AA point value that is near $9k worth of miles.

I prefer the Isle seat