RonDon 84
fabila 47
Zanshin 38
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (Swifty, Zanshin, wlpdmurf, indi, JeanneB, jazzgal, MrEZgoin, sunmantwo, deliveryskipper, hokiesailor, bailau, xrayman67, BillDauterive, fabila, GaryC, jbutah, Todd, lbksxm, Fitzhughlaw, RatmansWife, Jspoone, 10 invisible), 807 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
montserrat nov 2014 trip report #30308
11/30/2014 11:25 PM
11/30/2014 11:25 PM
C
CrazyCanuxx Offline OP
Traveler
CrazyCanuxx  Offline OP
Traveler
C
This was an island hopping experience of a lifetime. so many life lessons will be embedded in my hard drive.

Landed in Barbados. after 1.5 hrs waiting in the slowest line in history, I finally made it to my first introduction to Barbados. and I do not wish to duplicate this experience again. the line was so long we were waiting outside the terminal for some time before the other 500+ tourists ahead of us got their passport stamp.

Barbados was a great pit stop. i'll post another trip report.

Liat did their best to meet or beat our low expectations. luggage was misdirected. only one suitcase lost in antigua, but alas they did ship it to Montserrat the next day.

Hung around Dickinson bay all afternoon. very quiet. wifi password was safe guarded by the 'absent bartender' who charges a few bucks for it. not cool so I left earlier than planned for lunch elsewhere.

air Montserrat was friendly and left a few minutes early. good thing as I was tired of airports by this time (not to mention arrived at bgi at 6am, landed in Montserrat after 5)

the flight over is quick and stunning in a 7 passenger plane. i recommend sitting behind pilot for best view of volcanic ruins.

Winston is my preferred taxi driver. he is a retired police chief. great story teller.

stayed in woodlands, within walking distance to salem. woodlands is residential area near runaway gaut and a beach (15mins to get there and 3 hrs to walk back up they say). the beach has washrooms and showers. black sand. people were snorkeling around the cliffs right off the beach. be aware of undertow

as this is my second trip, i short circuited many of the usual stops. mvo is great for volcano view but not much else. don't expect to spend much time inside.

olveston house - had a very reasonably priced and delicious meal. service was excellent. very tranquil. no bugs.

garden view or house or ?? nearby in salem - ate here last year too. it was ok. service is by the owner. more expensive than olveston house.

johnny's bar on the way to mvo- had fish and chips.expats hang out here on fri. i didn't think much of the tilapia or undercooked fries. they didn't know what to do with my American cash. beware of parking.

a fantastic hidden bar in isle bay - wish i could remember the name. you will not find it by the sign alone. but take a chance and walk thru the overgrown brush... here you will find heaven. Jo? labour of love shows in every corner. great owner. million dollar view. it's the opposite side of the new seven mostly empty bars/boat dock. on the water. his bathroom alone is worth talking about.

old hotel - visited the devastation. so much changed from last year. the phone is gone. don't miss this stop.

johnny's stay awake bar - jullian his son the plumber is the best bartender around. he will make sure you get home.

desert storm - still a crazy place to hang. miga the owner loves to chat. beware if parking here too.

stay as late as you like at these bars, nobody will bother you... but everyone will say hi and love to chat in a friendly manner.

during the day, stopped at bar on a side road.. only because the owner waved and said hi. so why not? we chatted about his volcano eruption experience and how it affected his family.

all montserratians who speak of their misfortune are accepting the fate of their homeland. they are content in making a new life and have accepted the path. i am not sure i could be so calm about the same events.

i drank from the runaway gaut... i'll be back.

i recommend Montserrat for those who are looking for a peaceful, tranquil experience. travellers not tourists. here you will find your inner peace and be one with nature. life is slow, relaxed and friendly. learn to be open and accepting of things you cannot change and Montserrat will meet you half way.

thank you Montserrat for being real.

bless.

Sponsors
Re: montserrat nov 2014 trip report [Re: CrazyCanuxx] #30309
12/01/2014 03:49 AM
12/01/2014 03:49 AM
U.K. and Spain
Jeannius Offline
Traveler
Jeannius  Offline
Traveler
U.K. and Spain
Lovely report. Took me back to the several sailing trips which included stops at Montserrat. Must go back one day and stay for longer.

How's the new 'town' coming along near Little Bay?

Re: montserrat nov 2014 trip report [Re: Jeannius] #30310
12/01/2014 11:36 AM
12/01/2014 11:36 AM
C
CrazyCanuxx Offline OP
Traveler
CrazyCanuxx  Offline OP
Traveler
C
The new town progressed from last year tho the locals complain its taking too long...others say plymouth wasnt built in a day.

There are seven thatchrf roof huts meant to be bars. Two or three are occupied. I was told the locals go to one on the weekends so its busy...somewhat

They finished a gotgeous boardwalk tho short wrapping around from the pier around these huts. Lots of parking at this stage.

Nearby is a gigantic cultural centre. The accoustics were donayed by sir martin and are said to b world class...if only a world class sound engineer existed as told by a performer. The theatre is a good size.

They built a farmers market stalls in this same bldg if i remember and on opening day they were flooded out as this entire area is on flood plain. Pilings areveverywhere for future conatruction

The huge stadium envelope is almost finished too.

I wasnt happy to see environmental degradation but alas canadians are doing the same for progress.

Itll b a few years yet and it will never rival plymouth but montserrats popuation is tenuous.

I also think montserrat yacht club houses in one of the huts...but its in name only im told. Ahum.

In summary.. Its built and few have come but soon..

Re: montserrat nov 2014 trip report [Re: CrazyCanuxx] #30311
12/02/2014 04:53 AM
12/02/2014 04:53 AM
U.K. and Spain
Jeannius Offline
Traveler
Jeannius  Offline
Traveler
U.K. and Spain
Thanks for the update.