The idea of going from STT to the base via 5 minute taxi ride is appealing. I understand their boats are flagged to enter BVI waters, and there is now an app for i-phones that allows one to clear into BVI.
We sailed from BVI to USVI a few months ago. The Sail Clear apt has replaced the paper work we used to fill out. You still need to check in and out in person. When sailing from BVI to USVI and back again, only the captain (with all passports) needs to walk into customs.
I’ll add more later, but the key is to avoid the BVI customs offices that are used by day boats from the USVI in the mornings before 11:00 am or so. We just cleared out to go to St. John and then back in after a few days. I made the mistake of getting to the Jost office around 9:00 am to clear back in and it was a drawn out, painful experience (almost 2 hours to get through all 4 required stations). At Jost, they break for lunch - I believe - so I’d get there around 11:00 am or around 2:30 pm to 3:00 pm. The afternoon is probably optimal.
Waypoints is top notch and Capt Jay - Operations Base Director ( who is also awesome!) is on this TTOL forum and transitioned from CYOA to Waypoints Do a search in the search bar, there has been a lot of recent discussion in the last few months and he has chimed in with a lot of great info.