Trip Report: 12/5 - 12/12 This report will be a little different... topical rather than day-by-day. It will be easier for readers to find that which is of more interest.<br><br>The Travel: We were worried that with the forecast heavy lake-effect snow, we would not be able to get out of Buffalo at 6:10 a.m. The snow held off long enough so that we made it safely to the airport and hence, via Philadelphia to SXM via USAIR. The A320 must hold around 120 people; our flight had only 24 from Philadelphia to SXM! The return flight was equally uneventful with the plane only ½ full. USAIR had to be losing money on Tuesdays.<br><br>The Rental Car: Again uneventful... though the guy who assigned ours had been shortchanged on humor and good-will. We were supposed to "upgrade" from the base level for a few dollars more (can you spell "Clint Eastwood"?). The guy didn't have a model at that level so substituted a Daihatsu "Terios", an SUV-like thing with not many ponies under the hood and quite a transmission whine. However, it never failed and stayed on the road at all times. Would I rent from Hertz again? Yeah, probably.<br><br>The Hotel: The Cap Caraibes is a new, modestly priced hotel, VERY close to the beach (a matter of yards). It is very clean, two double beds, with kitchenette. Nice amenities... packaged coffee, potato chips, dry cereal. Bring your own creamer and coffee filters. Some strange things though... the hot and cold faucets both turn in the same direction (clockwise for on, counter for off), unlike US faucets that turn in opposite directions. Interesting the first time that I tried to turn the shower faucets off... all cold, then all HOT... then all off when I figured it out. As a previous post said, there is a non-functioning lamp in every room... more lamps than electrical outlets! smile smile The electronic room safe needed new batteries, immediately installed by Delphine... the receptionist. She was always friendly and helpful. Methinks she likes chocolate also (I brought her some, bribery is not dead) though one would never tell from her figure. Come to think of it, we saw nary one French lass who wasn't slender. Cap Caraibes gave us FREE LOUNGES and UMBRELLA in front of La Playa (next door); NOT in front of Waikiki... something to do with a contractual arrangement. La Playa made out well... many of there lounges and umbrellas were in use and the folks using them also purchased drinks and food from La Playa (far more than at Waikiki!). There is still a lot of construction going on in the immediate area but it didn't bother anyone at all. Would I stay at Cap Caraibes again? YES! DEFINITELY! Be sure to ask me for instructions on how to get there; you could wonder around for a good hour trying to find it without directions.<br><br>The Beach: Orient of course. It was a wonderful as always, with just the right amount of folks there. I might not like it as well during the peak season if the number of folks increases markedly. One bit of concern... EROSION! It is becoming severe around Pedro's and in front of Andy Susco's BAYWATCH! OK, I will put in my plug for Andy (formidable and friendly) and Cheryl (cute and wise)... BAYWATCH HAS TERRIFIC RIBS! Nuf sed... try them. Btw: Andy is from New Jersey, many moons ago... shares a love of DOO-WOP music!<br><br>Back to the erosion... it is caused by wind and waves (waves are caused by wind). Andy had only one row of lounges in front of Baywatch; I think he used to have three. I will lightly glance over (wise choice of words) the scenery on the beach... something for everyone. There is some inane saying/quotation in one of the St. Martin magazines belittling those on the beach who wear less. I will tear that apart in another post.<br><br>The Restaurants and Other Places: Club Orient of course. Though we didn't stay there, we sort of snuck in with help from new friends to the weekly wine and cheese party on Wednesday evening. We were graciously greeted by Mr. Brink (Ken?) and met several fine folks there... mainly because I was wearing my TTOL T-SHIRT! We had such a nice time that we stayed for dinner, possibly the best meal for the entire week. Other restaurants were Bikini Beach, Le Petit Pizza, Zee Best, Poulet Orleans, Sol et Luna, Piccolo, and Bar Le Mer. The worst meal was outstanding... the best incredible! Yeah, I wrote down every meal that we ate and the price of the meal for two... but not all that important in retrospect. My advice... try things that you have never heard of... or are at least not things you would normally order. Would I eat at these restaurants again? YES! ! ! Except that there are far more that I/we need to sample first.<br><br>I have save the best for last... THE PEOPLE WE MET! Let me start with Paul and Josephine (TTOL folks)... a wonderful couple... Josephine is the epitome of grace, Paul abhors a conversational vacuum... good folks both! We dined with them at Papaguayo, meeting the captain (Nils?) and "first mate" Jaqueline of the Pink Lady. Thanks to the TTOL S-SHIRT, we also met Keith and Carol... wish that we could have spent more time with them. Another gentleman introduced himself to us but I forget his name (that happens a lot). Also met Jerry (?)... what a tan! What a GOOD-GREAT evening!<br><br>I had been exchanging emails with Dan and Susan, but didn't get to meet them until Thursday. And it was well worth the wait/search... what a wonderful couple... both so knowledgeable about restaurants and other things on St. Martin. They inspired Diane and I to get out and try new restaurants... now I am happily a pauper... THANKS DAN and SUSAN! Oh, yes, they introduced us to their friends Ray, Judy, and Larry and we all shared a wonderful meal at Orleans Poulet.<br><br>One thing about early morning (6:15) walks on Orient Beach... those other folks out there are as friendly as all get out. I met another couple, Ray and Judy (the second couple by that name!)... another case where I wish we could have spent more time with them... just excellent folks. Other fine folks were/are Jim and Lisa, Robert and Mary, Harry and his wife (drat and double drat... can't remember her name), Paul and Pat.<br><br>Miscellaneous Notes: <br><br>The telephone cards work on only the side of the island on which you buy them. e.g. the card bought at Club Orient works only on French pay telephones. Using the pay phones can be a bit tricky... be patient (as the instructions say?).<br>There is a pharmacy and grocery store in Cul de Sac... possibly less expensive than shopping at Club Orient.<br>Fireworks on the North End of Orient Beach on Sunday night... toward Blue Bay... not long nor overly loud... just right for Orient Beach... lovely.<br><br>Addendum - Jim & Mary Ruos <br> <br><br>I forgot to mention that the travel arrangements by Jim and Mary were impeccable... nary a flaw. Thanks, Jim and Mary. Folks, check out their web site advertised via this bulletin board.<br><br><br><br> <br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Administrator on 12/14/00 05:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

St. Martin... everything you always wanted, and never knew you did.