Member Spotlight
Nowhatched
Nowhatched
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Oceanwaves22, redroses27
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (jazzgal, 4 invisible), 786 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
USVI to BVI #311659
01/10/2024 10:02 PM
01/10/2024 10:02 PM
Cumming, GA
S
sailingbob Offline OP
Traveler
sailingbob  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Cumming, GA
Hi Folks,

We will be embarking on our 3rd charter to BVI the first week of April. Previously we sailed out of BVI (Moorings and TMM). This time we are sailing with Waypoints out USVI (former CYOA). We have two other boats with us. One with Waypoints, the other with VIYC out of Compass Point. We arrive March 31st for sleep aboard and return the boats on April 9th. I have some questions specific to transiting from USVI to BVI and back as well as general itinerary advice.

Rough itinerary:
day one transit from USVI to BVI and overnight at Cooper (see question below)
Nights 2 and 3 overnight around Virgin Gorda/North Sound
Nights 4 and 5 Anegada
Nights 6 and 7 Jost area
Night 8 somewhere back in USVI (see question below)

Customs Agent or Sailclear - First question relates to customs. Waypoints suggests using the Sailclear app, whereas VIYC requires the charterer to use a custom agent for a fee. Any significant benefit to using a customs agent vs Sailclear, other than not getting off the boat? It's $150 each way to use the agent. From what I have read it seems pretty clear the ROAM app is the easiest way to clear back into USVI.

Fresh fruits/vegetables - We typically bring a cooler of food frozen meat/prepared meals, but never fresh fruits and vegetables, as I did not think BVI would allow them in, but maybe I misunderstand that constraint. My question is can we provision fresh fruits and vegetables in St Thomas, or is that the same as bringing them from the U.S. mainland? If so, is it allowed?

Cooper Island too far day one? - We plan to go ahead and check into BVI at West End on the first day of the charter. From there I would like to try and make it to Cooper. We've not made this stop yet on our prior trips and we would like to be staged to get to Virgin Gorda on Tuesday. I estimate to 2.5 hrs to get from Frenchtown Marina to West End, maybe an hr or two to get through customs and then another 2 hrs to Cooper. Assumably all into wind...any thoughts on this...too much for one day? Alternatively, I thought about heading to Cane Garden bay after checking in and then working way out to Virgin Gorda on Tuesday from there.

Savannah Bay - We've done most of the usual suspects in terms of overnight mooring and would like to mix in some less crowded anchorages. The beach at Savannah Bay on Virgin Gorda looks inviting. Weather permitting of course, has anyone overnighted in this bay? If so, would there be room for 3 cats?

Last night back in USVI - What's the recommendation for our last day/night after we check back into USVI? We will eat on the boat, so prefer a quiet anchorage with clear water that is reasonably positioned to get back to our respective bases by 9 - 10 am.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Bob

Last edited by sailingbob; 01/10/2024 10:04 PM.
BVI Sponsors
Re: USVI to BVI [Re: sailingbob] #311676
01/11/2024 08:59 AM
01/11/2024 08:59 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
I only have a moment but I would ditch the plan to go from CYOA to Cooper day 1. If you have the usual 15 knot east wind it’s a long uphill slog. It’s certainly doable just not fun unless all the boats are full of hard core sailers. I always plan day 1 as an easy day. To many things can go wrong getting off the dock and people are tired from the travel. If you do decide to go to CGB day one clear at JVD not West End. I would give a lot of consideration to going to going to Water Lemon bay the first night and clear customs the following morning. It’s an underrated anchorage. Drop one of the North Sound nights or Anegada.
Savannah Bay is a nice stop and there is plenty of room for 3 boats. If there is any North swell avoid it. Given your planned itinerary any reason you did not charter out of the BVI?

Re: USVI to BVI [Re: GeorgeC1] #311683
01/11/2024 10:09 AM
01/11/2024 10:09 AM
Cumming, GA
S
sailingbob Offline OP
Traveler
sailingbob  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Cumming, GA
Thanks for the input George. The thought process on going out of USVI was that it seemed like it would less stressful getting to the boat on our travel day. To your point, we probably need to adjust our itinerary accordingly. The other reason is we are considering putting a boat in charter, as early as the 2026 season. I was chatting with Jay from Waypoints at Annapolis and I was intrigued by the idea of having the boat in USVI for ease of getting to the boat for shorter stints, so I wanted to have that experience.

Re: USVI to BVI [Re: sailingbob] #311687
01/11/2024 10:49 AM
01/11/2024 10:49 AM
R
Rush Offline
Traveler
Rush  Offline
Traveler
R
Bob,
Agree with George. Plan to get to Honeymoon/Caneel, Maho/Francis, or Waterlemon Cay the first day - all have a lot to offer. And stay at one of the other 3 on your last night back. Savannah Bay is redlined with Waypoints and most charter companies. Consider Long Bay/Mountain Point. I don't know any reason you would want a customs agent for return, unless you are required to (would not be on Waypoints). Of course, Jay is your best resource for this.

As an fyi, we have chartered with Waypoints 5 times (4 out of BVI and 1 out of St. Thomas) and they have been incredible. Boats new and meticulously maintained. We are in the process of putting a cat in Charter with them in USVI, beginning this December. The dealer, ACY, has been great to work with as well. We had always planned on having a boat in the BVI as that is where we expect to spend most of our time. But we also enjoy the USVI and SVI and like the flexibility of being able to fly direct to St. Thomas, hop on the boat, and maybe even do a shorter trip if necessary.

I am happy to share my thoughts and experiences thus far on the above in detail, if you would like to connect directly.

Rush

Re: USVI to BVI [Re: sailingbob] #311689
01/11/2024 11:18 AM
01/11/2024 11:18 AM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
Can you not get all boats from Waypoint? We had our worst experience ever with VIYC (before we bought our BVI based boat). Happy to share our experience via PM but there is no way I would ever charter with them or recommend them.

Re: USVI to BVI [Re: sailingbob] #311690
01/11/2024 12:16 PM
01/11/2024 12:16 PM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Note that Waypoint now has an office and boats in Nanny Cay, Tortola.

Last edited by Manpot; 01/11/2024 12:23 PM.
Re: USVI to BVI [Re: sailingbob] #311692
01/11/2024 12:50 PM
01/11/2024 12:50 PM
St. John, USVI
RickG Offline
Traveler
RickG  Offline
Traveler
St. John, USVI
I agree on the first day being a slog to Cooper. Jost or Norman Island are doable with an early start. Waterlemon has US mobile phone access challenges, but BVI towers are in range. Maho/Francis are wonderful too and a quick hop to West End for check in.

Cheers, RickG

S/V Echoes, 2003 Beneteau 423
Grenada
Re: USVI to BVI [Re: sailingbob] #311715
01/11/2024 05:25 PM
01/11/2024 05:25 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
Originally Posted by sailingbob
Thanks for the input George. The thought process on going out of USVI was that it seemed like it would less stressful getting to the boat on our travel day. To your point, we probably need to adjust our itinerary accordingly. The other reason is we are considering putting a boat in charter, as early as the 2026 season. I was chatting with Jay from Waypoints at Annapolis and I was intrigued by the idea of having the boat in USVI for ease of getting to the boat for shorter stints, so I wanted to have that experience.

Your thoughts on getting to the boat day one are very valid and it does open up the option for shorter trips to use your boat. You can easily do 4 days if the boat is in the USVI. I have a personal 6 day minimum for the BVI. Having said that the ferry service has been very good the last 18 months. Prior to that I would have moved my boat to the USVI in a heartbeat!

Re: USVI to BVI [Re: sailingbob] #311734
01/11/2024 10:33 PM
01/11/2024 10:33 PM
Cumming, GA
S
sailingbob Offline OP
Traveler
sailingbob  Offline OP
Traveler
S
Cumming, GA
Thank you for all the helpful responses. We will definitely re-evaluate our itinerary. That is disappointing regarding VIYC. Hopefully it works out because I think he is committed. I put him onto the boat they had available, which is a brand new 3 cabin Elba.

Rush - I would love to hear about your experience, I will PM you.

Thanks again,

Bob