Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,066
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 31
RonDon 28
mahokid 27
erb923 25
GaKaye 20
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Colour1
Colour1
Westchester /NYC
Posts: 2,533
Joined: July 2011
Today's Birthdays
MassExodus, mayhem
Who's Online Now
10 members (GaryC, LAB57, sxm1986, Rumlover, BigGreenFan, 5 invisible), 395 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#344507 02/28/2026 09:23 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 603
Likes: 1
G
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 603
Likes: 1
Just got back - Our sloop had a port and starboard main sheet system. I did some prep on this - "triangular system", etc. I gave myself a "B minus" on sail trim.

Any pearls of wisdom?

thx

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
I had it on a Leopard 4800 and will be going back to it on a Leopard 4600. Personally I like the system. Maybe not quite as tunable as traveler but far more robust in charter operations. In practice I used it much like a traveler. The key on any point of sail other than upwind is keep the downwind sheet tighter than you would expect and adjust with the upwind sheet.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
Do you mean a German sheeting system? I have that on my boat and after 10K miles I'm happy.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
H
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
H
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
I've had both systems. Like both and agree the traditional system offers more trimming range. From George's comment it sounds like Leopard is going back to the German system with the 46. I believe the new Leopard 52 is as well.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
I am not sure if the change was a Leopard thought or a Moorings demand. I have seen some horrendous accidental jibs in the last year.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 603
Likes: 1
G
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 603
Likes: 1
Heh George: What's the correct way to tack with the dual system? thx

Last edited by ggffrr11; 03/03/2026 10:54 AM.
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Since you’re hard on the wind when tacking it’s exactly the same as a traveler. You simply tack and the main tends to itself. There might be some tweaking involved after the tack but the same can be said for a traveler. One nice advantage of this system when moored is you don’t get that squeaky noise from the boom rocking.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 987
Likes: 1
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 987
Likes: 1
Looks like the 2026 Elba 45 we are chartering has a main with a traditional traveler.

But here is a review of the German System.

German Sheeting System review.

Not to be confused with the A frame system.

A Frame Sheeting System


Chuck W.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
I strongly prefer the double mainsheet system. It's quiet at anchor (as noted). It's much safer if people are up on the sky lounge while sailing. Even when not sailing, having the boom locked down is nice. I appreciate being able to jibe over the preventer without preparation.


M4200 MANTA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5