Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,952
Posts342,029
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
mahokid 30
RonDon 30
erb923 27
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Posts: 325
Joined: September 2003
Today's Birthdays
FrogtownRoadCat3
Who's Online Now
11 members (RickinAtlanta, inspectormark, SXMScubaman, Todd, 2tannedfannies, Rumlover, rab, 4 invisible), 423 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 36
T
tamrap Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
T
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 36
Hi , we are flying in tues from miami on american to EIS to begin a bareboat charter starting wed april 15 for 8 nights onboard. The weather looks a little rainy so I wanted to ask you guys what we should expect. Also, I have read if the runway is wet or its raining that planes cant land at EIS so what are experiences with that? Do they divert to SJU or STT mostly? we are bringing rain slickers and good fun attitudes so we will be fine. Just hoping we can land and begin our charter on time- we have done this before and always had great weather so this rain trough forecast is a first! any helpful thoughts and ideas are appreciated!!!

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
They have not been diverting to STT. After a terrible experience and losing 2 days off our charter with the SJU divert I managed to have a long chat with what I was told is a senior customer service rep. I explained to her how diverting to STT from a passenger standpoint was vastly superior than SJU as it offered the ferry option to salvage the arrival. I suspect thst conversation and the letter I wrote will fall on deaf ears because space is limited in STT verses SJU. SJU is a bit of a ghost town with lots of empty gates and ramp space.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
As George says, when things go wrong, they can go quite wrong: both rain and shift in wind direction. Fortunately, that is rare. We have never had a problem. I have seen planes take off when the runway is damp. The weather forecast this week calls for a lot of rain, so it could be an issue. Are you on an early or later flight? I would keep an eye on FlightAware to see how other flights are doing, then ask American to change your flights if there is disruption.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 36
T
tamrap Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
T
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 36
Thank you guys for the info and some ideas for us to consider!!!!

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
This is simply why I just fly to St Thomas in the first place and ferry over. The possib;lity of not being able to land on a wet runway..on a Caribbean island...is just way too chancy.If the plane is delayed one way the whole schedule is thrown off and connections will be missed.Flying from STT to San Francisco I have several options if things go wrong..Miami, Charlotte, JFK, Philadelphia.I know some folks swear by the EIS..i also know others, like Geogre, whlo swear at it!!!

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
The Morning flight today diverted. The 2nd flight however landed with the runway wet. Perhaps AA has had a change in policy. Weirdly however the first flight that diverted did not attempt to fly to EIS from SJU and is cancelled and the passengers stuck in SJU. Had they refueled and left for EIS they likely would have arrived at the same time as the 2nd flight. Go figure!

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 04/13/2026 01:24 PM.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
I dont know how AA can keep doing this! Now you get no FF miles with basic economy AND now now automatic upgrades for million mile flyers..they really have gone down the drain!


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5