As a follow to my sailing report, when we got off the boat we spent 3 nights at Myett's to decompress. We always put so much into our sailing. It get's somewhat intense, and this is no way to leave the BVI. 2 days of laying on a beach makes for a good departure.

So Sunday PM we check into one of Myett's garden view rooms. I found out we had way too much luggage for climbing 2 1/2 flights. Some of that was left over provisions from our sail, beer, rum, chips, all the important things. A bottle of Myett's rum was waiting for us.

The room was a large airconditioned suite with a very comfortable king bed, refrigerator, coffe maker etc. It worked well for sleeping, but was not a place I would hang out, too dark. There is a balcony, but it is surrounded by vegetation and sits right next to some ongoing construction. The prize in staying here are the people, the service, the food and the owners. Thank you Val for your personal attention. We were in the middle room. The 2 outside rooms have more light. One is a beach side with a limited view through the trees. They are in the process of erecting a new building which will house a bank annex and additional rooms. I don't know the completion date.

Sunday night we went down to the TTOL party I mentioned in my sail report. It was a good time. I had a sore throat for the past week and struggled staying up past 9, but I hear the party carried on for a good bit. I also learned that a select group of white men can dance and sing in the Caribbeans - Malcomb. We ate dinner there that evening. I can't emphasize enough the good food and great service. Watch for Karen...one of the biggest smiles on the ilons. She greeted us everytime we passed through as did most of the others.

Monday we slept in. Once we realized the beds weren't tied to moorings and the motion inside our heads quit, we were gone. At around 10:30 we pack up for Smugglers. Myett's is seting up for a crowd of cruise shippers, putting bottles of rum and appetizers out, chairs on the beach, really rolling out the carpet. This was a good time to get out of Dodge. Emily (Maxi) catches us as we're pulling out of the lot and she joins us for the day. Smuggler's is gorgeous, and fairly quiet. The last time we were there, we saw 2 vendors. this time only one, but more than adequate. He make's great inexpensive rum punch and $5 for a lawn chair. I also had one of his hot dogs, which was good but small. a cold deli sandwhich was the only other choice. We had some swimming Noodles from our sail we brought with and gifted one to Maxi. 30 minutes after entering the water she was half way to Jost. I let her tell that story, nothing dangerous. On the way home Maxi wants to visit Manpot's castle. Very nice Malcomb, one of the best surf's on the north shore and wide open to the ocean. I did get to see his old blue chair. Back at Myett's I was starved and had a hot sandwich, excellent. The cruise ship visit was a joke. No one spent any money, just coupons. The restaurants on the beach were all hauling in their inventory and equipment. Our plan was to catch a nap, then come back for dinner and the Packer game. Plans never work here. The nap goes too long and when we get up, Im still full from the sandwhich. We sit at the bar with a bowl of conch chowder (WOW!) and chicken tenders. Val stops by to say hi and offers to buy one. Now I know I'm sick. I pass on a drink offer. The game doesn't come on until 10 Atlantic time. I don't make it. Somewhere in there was a spetacular sunset.

Tuesday we started our day with breakfast at Pisces, Soper Hole. This was on the TTOL list for best place to have breakfast. Omar, you proved them right! I love the banana pancakes. While walking along the dock at Sopers we come across Scott & Donna (Wolf). While talking we catch a man and woman on a charter plowing into an inflatable power boat while trying to leave the slips, the yellow inflatable tied up by the Market. The sailors have managed to snag their anchor inside the metal framing for the boats bimini. Wolf jumps on the inflatable and helps free them. The husband motors out of there without even a thank you. I'm sure he just wnated to get out of town. Back to Smugglers. There's more of a crowd today. It starts to empty out mid afternoon, but then some safari vans start to come in, 4 of them loaded with people, at 3:00 yet. Damn, they found it.
We eat early and prep for Tuesday night with Quito. The beach is very dark and deserted. While sitting at Quitos I inform some folks who stumbled in that their dinhy was loose. That was fun to watch. The only restaurant doing business is Myett's. I make it for an hour at Quito's. Great music.

Wednesday is time to leave. Did you know the opposite of "I gone to come" is "I leave to go"? Well, we leave to go. Our flight's not until 5:00 out of St Thomas, but we decide Pisces would make for a great stop...our last shot at real food. Deanna, has a chicken rotti and declares it the best she's ever had.
That includes some tough competition. Before we left for Soper's I call Smith's Ferry to double check on the times. The Tortola contact says that all she has is a 2:30 ferry, too late. But what about my round trip ticket. She's not very cooperative. "All I have is 2:30. If you want something else, ask at the ticket counter". I call Majorie at Charlotte Amalie. I made my reservation through her. She remembers. Their ferry is broke down and she calls Native Son for us to make sure we have a ride. Majorie is wonderful, first class. thank you. We're on the 12:30 ferry. After paying our departure tax, $5 for marine we go though security. They ask about knives. I didn't tell them about my Leatherman in my checked bag. The ferry heads for St john. We all get off and have to clear customs hear. There was a little ole woman traveling, no one was helping her with her bags. i offer, but customs says no. Someone asks one of Native Son's employees to help, a big bruley man. "You want me to lift those bags?" He walks away. I don't think this man was conceived by a mother. Customs walks outside to where her bags ar laying and clears her. We then go on to stop at Red Hook, the reason we had to clear customs on SJ. There are ferries that go direct from the West End to Charlotte Amalie. They are building a new ferry dock at Red Hook. When completed, it will have it's own customs office. 2hours from the WE to CA. We ahd lots of time and it was still a very pleasent trip compared to San juan. We did have to clear customs again at the airport, no problem. This is now our preferred route. However, this is November and there were light loads. I'm sure when we come back in high season, things will take a bit longer, especially at customs. So now we're home, and gone to come next year again. Winter is here, but there's no place like home. You may think I'm nuts, but I love Wisconsin, most days anyhow. It certainly makes the BVI feel warm and toasty.

p.s. while in a taxi from Sun Sail to EIS a couple told us of how they had all their stuff (luggage & passports) stolen from their rental car while at a secluded beach - Long Bay. Which Long Bay would they be talking about? I'm assuming they're talking about the east end of Tortola or Beef Island. NEVER leave luggage un-attended, ANYwhere.

Mike M.