This was yet another great trip. Plenty of beach and good weather, that was what we really came for. Tiko Tiko was back, we did it early in the stay and had a very nice time. We actually had several dinners in Papagayo this time, much more than in the past. It's the same menu as far as I can tell; there are some very good dishes and a few clunkers. The onion soup, usually quite good, was nothing short of awful. On the other hand, we both enjoyed the scallop and the shrimp dishes. I also had a great baked fish, grouper I think, offered as a special. I think in general the food has improved, but what was really a surprise was the service.

When I go to Papagayo, I just expect that I will be there a long time, and I am rarely disappointed. One night, we came in on the heels of a very large party, at least 15 people. I just knew we would be waiting for ages. Not so - they were great. In fact all our meals went this way. I really like the new GM there, but I never did catch his name. Slightly older Frenchman, very pleasant, very energetic, I believe he knows what he is doing. Several times he came around asking people how they liked things, and I had nothing but good to tell him. I think we will be taking more of our meals there in the future. As far as the decor, I know some folks here have been having conniption fits over it, and I admit at this point I do prefer it the way it used to be, but it might be fairer to wait for them to finish the job before heaping condemnation on them (they say they still have much to do).

One place that doesn't get a lot of mention here is Kakao. I have my favorite dishes there, but everyone has their own idea about what they like so I won't go into it. I just love those long lazy lunches over a bottle of wine, a nice walk back down the beach afterwards, maybe a little nap - it's what vacation is all about. You can still get a big ole tourist burger there with bacon and cheese and mayo and pickle and ketchup and chocolate sauce or whatever, don't forget the five-pound bucket of fries - I saw it and it really does look good - I just want to enjoy the things that I can only enjoy there.

There was a thread a year or so ago about French Toast; someone mentioned that Bikini had a very good example of it. They were certainly right, it was delicious. They also do omelets quite well; you may want to split it, it's a generous serving. This will likely be our new regular breakfast spot.

So, all I've really talked about is food, but there's just not much discussion to be found in lazing around the beach day after day, perhaps enjoying an adult beverage or an afternoon nap to the tune of the surf - one of these years we'll do something worth talking about. It just wasn't this time.