Well here it is. I just hope it doesn't crash the board!![Linked Image][Linked Image] I don't believe it. I spent hours colouring the file, attaching pictures, etc, etc and none of it copied except the text. Forgive me!!<br><br>TRIP REPORT[Linked Image]<br><br>CAUTION: Before reading this trip report, go to the bathroom, make sure the dog has been out, take the phone off the hook, get a drink and sit back. It's a bloody book!!![Linked Image]<br><br>-Mike & Brenda's 25th Anniversary April 1-15, 2001 St Martin Trip-<br><br>How to do a trip report? Well, Jeff (Peaceful) has given a far better synopsis of the restaurants than I could. Cathy has provided some great details and a critique of some of the activities, places and eateries. Lots of people have commented on various aspects that I would just be repeating. <br><br>Therefore, I think the best thing to do is to look at St Martin through the eyes of 2 "rookies" embarking on a 1st trip to the Caribbean to celebrate 25 years of being married.<br><br>Furthermore, we promised back in February to conduct a scientific study of the best places to kiss on St Martin/St Maarten - and our findings are included herein.<br><br>Day 1 (April 1)<br><br>I find it absolutely amazing that a 49 & 50 year old could get as excited as little kids about going on a trip (after all, I've traveled all over Canada on business). The dogs were in the kennel, the daughter had been wished good luck on her 1st year university exams, the furnace turned back and the alarm went off at 2 a.m. as planned.<br><br>We were dressed in summer slacks and golf shirts (it was -2C or about 29F) outside and we were still ½ hour early. What to do? Well, why didn't we get started on our scientific study? Nope, might miss the limo.[Linked Image][Linked Image] <br><br>45 minutes later - no limo. He'd forgotten the time change!!! So, two hysterical phone calls later, we were in a taxi and on our way. <br><br>Kiss # 1[Linked Image] - not bad but a taxi in Toronto doesn't rate even a mention in the study.<br><br>Arrived at Toronto airport only 5 minutes after planned time and immediately met Don & Linda in line. Checked in really quickly (pays to be early) and went and had a coffee and rock hard muffin (sort of a brown hockey puck) for breakfast at 4 a.m. We immediately became friends (gee the St Martin magic was working already and we hadn't even been there yet).<br><br>Regaled Don & Linda with stories of some hair raising flights I've experienced over the years. Unfortunately, after an hour or so, Don informed me that he is quite a nervous flier. Ever trying being a good new friend with both your feet in your mouth?? So I assured Don that 99% of my trips had been perfect.<br><br><br><br>Kiss #2 [Linked Image]- Toronto airport does not rate either but it provided a much needed distraction!!<br><br>Boarded Canada 3000 and took off on time at 6:50 a.m. Sunrise was beautiful, flight was going smoothly and Mike started walking around the cabin trying to recruit 12 Meter sailors (and met the 4 Kievens in the process who joined the gang in the Zoo benefit sail).<br><br>However, we were ordered lower by New York air traffic control and promptly flew into a large eastern seaboard storm. As we were bouncing all over the sky for about 1½ hours, Mike studiously avoided asking Don & Linda how they were doing.<br><br>Well, 4½ hours later, we've got our faces pressed to the glass looking at the azure blue sea and St Martin coming up on the port (left) side.<br><br>Kiss #3[Linked Image] - This was more like it - even thought we're weren't there yet.<br><br>Unfortunately, we were a tad optimistic. Down we went, lined up for the runway, Mike snapping pics through the window and Brenda looking for our 1st glimpse of the well known Sunset Beach Bar. Almost there……. and then one of those tropical cloudbursts just off the end of the runway. Up with the wheels, up with the flaps, on with the power and that roller coaster feeling of a "go around".<br><br><br>Of course, by now Don & Linda figure they're on the same plane as the flier from hell!!<br><br><br>Second time lucky and we're there. Time for Kiss #4[Linked Image]. I cannot describe the incredible feeling of stepping through the door of the plane into warmth, sun, wind and swaying palm trees. A glance down the runway, and yep, there it is - The Sunset Beach Bar with the Skull & Crossbones flag flying; just like the website picture.<br><br>Through customs in a flash and to make amends, we offered Don & Linda a ride to Club O as we were going by there on our way to Little Key Beach Resort in Cul de Sac (and they kindly consented to show us where to go). I actually wasn't too sure what they meant by this!!!??<br><br>Rep from Tropicana was there to meet us with the rental car - oddly enough, a white Toyota Corolla with a throaty sounding sewing machine for an engine. Car was so new the windshield stickers were still on it (they were still on it when we left). Quick check in at the rental agency near the airport, one stop for a case of bottled water (highly recommended) and on our way.<br><br>TALK ABOUT CULTURE SHOCK! These guys stop in the middle of the road to chat with friends; travel slow, fast and everything in between and motorcycles go screaming up the centre "line" passing up hills, around bends, weaving in and out of cars trucks, etc.- and no helmets. I also believe the entire island has 3 stoplights and an infinite number of blind corners and intersections. But, after about 10 minutes, as Brenda said with a kiss (#5) [img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]"you're loving this, aren't you?" Suddenly Mike's back rallying, shifting the automatic like crazy, and having a blast. Note to newcomers - just drive sensibly (aggressive at times, meek at others and WATCH THE REAR VIEW MIRROR). Don & Linda probably thought the flier from hell had morphed into the driver from hell!! <br><br>In seemingly no time flat, we were at Club O and dropping off Don & Linda. A couple of steep hills and wild bends later and we were off onto the road to Cul de Sac. Arrived at Little Key and checked in to a waterfront cabin duplex room. Fantastic view of Little Key and Pinel Island from both our deck and bed. (Kisses #6 through #10)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. Highly recommend this resort. We could just feel the big city tension melting away.<br><br><br>Went to the gorgeous open-air resort restaurant for some absolutely delicious tropical, fruity type club sandwiches for lunch. An afternoon of R&R (Brenda relaxing & reading on the deck, Mike snorkeling on the reef right in front of the resort). Pure joy seeing all those fantastic colourful tropical Caribbean fish for the first time.<br><br><br>Sunset about 6:30 (apparently 6:30 all year long), and when it sets, it's dark about 20 minutes later.<br><br><br>Dinner - Still high from our first day, we were up for a dinner out. Le Piccolo was closed Sunday & Monday (we'd heard so much about it from the TTOL board - and it was at the end of the street leading to the resort). However, Stephanie at the front desk suggested nearby Sol e Luna. As we'd also heard about this restaurant, we leaped at the chance. Well, it was fantastic!! <br><br>We got an outside table in the garden, which was very romantic (Kisses #11 through #18[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - definitely a contender for best place to kiss). Food was very good and very reasonable (as I recall, about 500 FF with 3 glasses of wine ($72 US). Perhaps our 1st night in the Caribbean might have coloured our view but this really was one of our favorites - one of our 10 or 11 favorites. Back to the hotel around 10 and to bed (Kisses #19 through #26[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - sorry, no further details). <br><br>Day 2 (April 2)<br><br>I think I'd better be a little less long winded or this report will be a 45 page book!!!<br><br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a little breeze and little puffy white clouds. <br><br><br>In our Little Key package arrangement, a buffet breakfast was included. So each day, we'd head to the open air restaurant, have a great breakfast of fruit, cappucino, and great sticky buns/croissants. Then we'd swipe some more for lunch to store in the fridge and hence, never bought a breakfast or lunch all trip so we could save all the sheckles for dinners.<br><br>From the TTOL board, we'd learned of a quiet beach north of Cul de Sac that we decided to try. Embarking upon a somewhat pothole riddled road, we traveled north (and east, west & south if you count dodging potholes) parked near the dump and walked over a ridge to a beautiful beach that we had ALL TO OURSELVES (quite a contrast to some of the southern beaches). Sun tanned as nature intended (Kisses #27 through #33[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - again a <br>definite contender) and snorkeled on a beautiful reef just off the beach. <br><br>Word of caution #1 - watch the wave surge - Brenda got bumped along some coral scraping both legs a bit. Word of caution #2 - apply strong sunscreen everywhere. That sun is intense. We were very careful but omitted to cover one indented spot. Have you ever seen a neon bellybutton?<br><br>Afternoon was spent shopping in Marigot - requisite T-shirts, books and postcards. <br><br>Word of advice - buy stamps somewhere other than the post office. Stood in line for 40 minutes as the stamp dispenser was broken. <br><br>Back to the cabin to write the cards and post them so as to have them arrive while we were still in St Martin. Word of advice - don't bother. It is now 3 weeks later and they still haven't arrived in Canada. Buy them, take them home and hand them to everyone!!! <br><br>Dinner - Off to dinner at L'Amandier in Grand Case. Fantastic setting - we had a beachside table and looked out at the lights of Anguilla in the distance. A bit too open to be classified as A1 romantic but still pretty high on the romantic scale. A pina colada and a couple of glasses of Chablis later and Mike decided he could order in French!!! <br><br>Obviously, I didn't notice the raised eyebrow of our waiter (he was great). After superb appetizers, about an 8 pound BBQ'ed lobster arrived!!! The damn thing tasted fantastic (it would have required a roof rack if we'd wanted to take it back to our room) but I think it was the better part of $100 by itself. Fabulous chocolate profiterols and a pear in raspberry sauce desserts. (Kisses #34 through #40[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - another contender). Food was outstanding but due to Mike's faux pas, it was perhaps our most expensive meal (1100FF or $160 US plus tip). <br><br>A romantic stroll along the beach after dinner helped ease the sticker shock. You know, like one of those Caribbean commercials - white pants rolled up, soft waves washing up over your toes …….and feet…..and calves…..and knees…..and pants. However didn't mind, due to Kisses #41 through #50[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. About as romantic as you could get!!!<br><br>Back to the hotel around 10 and to bed (Kisses #51 through #58[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - again, no further details). <br><br>Day 3 (April 3)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a little breeze and little puffy white clouds. <br><br>From the TTOL board, we'd learned of the Butterfly Farm which is off the road just past the Club Orient turnoff. It was worth the visit. The guide gave an entertaining talk, the butterflies were beautiful and it didn't really take more than an hour. <br><br>Made the mistake of driving past the Butterfly Farm to Galion Beach. Mistake you say? - well, we had by now, been smitten by St Martin….. and there IS this old abandoned resort there that would just require a little cleanup and wouldn't it be great to move here and open up Club O #2 and …………well, you get the picture. Lovely beach in a protected cove. Swam & sunned for awhile (Kisses #49 through #54[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - a possible contender). <br><br>Dinner - Time for a more modest dinner. From the TTOL board, we heard about the Talk of the Town Lolo. Well, it's all true!! BBQ'ed ribs to die for (how do they get that unique smoked flavour so infused in the meat by cooking it over ½ a 40 gallon drum?). Ribs, potato salad and coleslaw for 2 with a bottle of water for about $15-$18. For that, I was very happy to use plastic plates. (Kisses #55 through #60[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - not really a romantic contender for best spot to kiss but at that point, it didn't matter!!).<br><br>Walked up & down the main street of Grand Case (which is about 12 feet wide) looking at all the menus and shops. (Kisses #61 through #66)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. Remarkable how the cars all seem to negotiate this very narrow street, largely by co-operating with each other. Back home, there would have been a 42 car pileup!! Back to the hotel around 10 and to bed (Kisses #67 through #72 [img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]- again, no further details). <br><br>Day 4 (April 4)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a little breeze and little puffy white clouds. <br><br>A basically quiet day. Lots more snorkeling in front of Little Key - chasing all sorts of snappers, grunts, trumpetfish, angelfish, barracuda, etc. etc.<br><br>Read some of the St Martin guides that are readily available everywhere. Discovered lots of pictures on places we'd read about on the TTOL board and vowed to visit some of them.<br><br>(Kisses #67 through #74)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] led to plenty of related activities!!!xxx. What is it about warm tropical breezes, beautiful scenery and a great cabin in a quiet area of St Martin??? If we could bottle it, everyone would go back to making love not war.<br><br>Dinner - Off to dinner at Mario's Bistro in Sandy Ground. Great setting on the channel leading to the "inner harbour" of Marigot - we had a waterside table and looked out over the fish gathering in the underwater lights.<br><br>Very romantic. Martine & Didier were tremendous hosts and Mike actually spoke to & thanked the elusive Mario. Turns out they are originally from Quebec City. <br><br>Fabulous meal - terrific scallop in a delicate cream sauce appetizer followed by an herb encrusted snapper main course. I don't recall Brenda's but it didn't matter as 2 appetizers and 2 entries and 2 desserts were shared 50/50. (Kisses #75 through #84 - another serious contender). Food was superb and about middle of the "gourmet pack" in cost (950FF or $136 US). <br><br>In addition, when Martine heard about the Zoo Sailing benefit, she immediately wanted to contribute and volunteered a meal for 2 at Mario's Bistro to be auctioned off on TTOL with proceeds going to the Zoo!!!! Stay tuned - more details will follow.<br><br>Back to the hotel around 10 and to bed (Kisses #85 through #92[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - I'm beginning to think there is a reason for eating all this incredible food - keeping up the …. um, energy level).<br><br>Day 5 (April 5)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a little breeze and little puffy white clouds. <br><br>A quiet morning getting ready to meet new friends. Unfortunately, sand gravity had taken over and we arrived about 40 minutes late. This of course, made it difficult to make an inconspicuous entrance to the Papagayos TTOL party. Mike & Brenda arrived - Mike wearing little but a smile and carrying black knee high dress socks (after all, black soxers & cameras go together!!!).<br><br>It is hard to describe the immediate welcome and acceptance of 26+ strangers. Maybe when people dispense with all the trappings, all the pretenses fall away. Whatever it was, we immediately felt we were with friends.<br><br>Great party. Met loads of TTOL people, recruited Bill and Nola for the 12 meter race and got to chat with the resident TTOL movers and shakers Carol & Eric (who had jumped ship a day early to surprise a number of people).<br><br>Many of the party pics include Brenda but exclude Mike who found himself on the other side of about 6 cameras. Everyone had a great laugh at all the antics and gyrations to make sure the resultant pics were publishable on the board.<br><br>After several rounds, people started drifting off to the beach and we found ourselves in great conversation with Steve & Cathy, Don & Linda and Jeff and Sandy. Were introduced to a number of Club O people. Pulled up some beach chairs and spent the rest of the afternoon lying on the Club O beach under a brilliant blue sky chatting, joking, and swimming. <br><br>Somehow, in 1 short afternoon we made more friends and 5 or 6 close friends than we have in 5 years at home. Must be something in the St Martin air!! <br><br>Having had no plans for dinner, Jeff and Sandy suggested the 4 of us head to Grand Case for dinner - and we ended up at Le Cottage, after kibitzing with Don & Linda & Steve and Cathy sitting at the restaurant 2 doors away.<br><br>(Kisses #93 through #95[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - a definite contender but as it is not water side, probably loses out a bit on the romantic front). Lovely table at the front of the restaurant and oddly, the traffic going by didn't bother us - must have been the new friends and the two fine bottles of Bordeaux Jeff had ordered. <br><br>Dinner - Jeff has critiqued the meal in his trip report, but suffice to say, it was fabulous - again one of our favorites. As I recall the price was again about middle of the pack for the gourmet restaurants.<br><br>Dropped Jeff & Sandy back at Club O & back to the hotel around 10:30 and to bed (Kisses #96 through #98[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - we needed to conserve our energy for the big race the next day).<br><br>Day 6 (April 6)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a little breeze and little puffy white clouds. <br><br>Off to rendezvous with Jeff & Sandy at Club O at 9:30 since, despite being one of the race organizers, we had no idea where the marina was or for that matter, where "downtown" Philipsburg was!! So a small convoy of white Toyota Corollas (sounding like a hive of busy wasps) wound its way south to the docks.<br><br>We got there early to allow for last minute details and Jeff's classy TTOL name tags to be laid out. It's a compliment to this TTOL Board - having recruited most of the participants through the board and only a day earlier met some of the people, there was an element of nervousness that maybe some of these strangers might not show up now that they were actually in paradise. EVERYONE ARRIVED - ALL 32 OF US!!<br><br>I could describe the race but that would take pages and I'll save it for another posting. A good history lesson on the America's Cup, tremendous team spirit, loads of fun and friendly kibitzing, great sailing and without exception, EVERYONE had a complete blast. Even Jeannette who sported a couple of war wounds from the battle!!<br><br>THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO PARTICIPATED (BOTH IN PERSON AND THROUGH THE VIRTUAL SAILOR WEBSITE) - TO BARBARA & JEFF WHO HELPED ORGANIZE IT AND TO THE 12 METRE CHALLENGE PEOPLE WHO DONATED THE BOATS & CREWS.<br><br>We in turn, supported them by buying all kinds of 12 meter shirts, hats, pictures, vests, etc.<br><br>After presenting the cheque to Nick & Neil (the outgoing & incoming Zoo curators), we were off to the Sunset Beach Bar to collect on the free Zoo shooters. Unfortunately, after jumping around like idiots in front of the web cam, we were informed it was broken.<br><br>We met the famous Neil and he actually posed for pictures with Barbara. As promised, Zoo shooters were given to the remaining sailors and some of the ladies complied with the bar dictum - " topless women drink for free". Had a couple of the best burgers we've had in a long time right there at the SSBB for dinner (alcohol absorbent). <br><br><br>Somehow, Dale (Bananas) felt that Mike was schmoozing too much and not keeping track of his shooter glass enough. So to permit him to run around and talk to everyone while keeping up with the drinking, she clipped his sailing hat keeper to the brim of his hat and the shooter cup to the other end; hence enabling Mike to run, yap & shoot at the same time!!! I believe Barbara posted the pic earlier. <br><br>And, oh yeah:<br>Pre- sailing - (Kisses #99 through #103 - just to get the adrenaline flowing)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]<br>During sailing - (Kiss #104 - our skipper Ernie would have killed us if we distracted ourselves any further as Brenda & I were in charge of the starboard side backstay & the backstay winch - it helps keep the mast up)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]<br>Post sailing - (Kisses #105 through #145 - kissed every lady who participated….. twice) - not at all on the romantic scale but fun nevertheless and a "necessary" part of being an organizer)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]<br><br>It is a marvelous feeling when a good plan actually turns out better than expected and this one sure did. In addition to helping the Zoo, the best part of the day was the new friends and the actual "bonding" experience of being on one of those yachts with those friends!! <br><br>THERE WAS PLENTY OF TALK ABOUT ZOO 2 IN 2002. Who knows, it may just happen.<br><br>As we were absolutely pooped at the end of the day, we retired around 9:30 pm and actually only had Kiss #146 [img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]before falling asleep. Must be an age thing - never used to retire this early while on vacation!!!<br><br>Day 7 (April 7)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a stronger breeze and little puffy white clouds. <br><br>A quiet morning. Mike picture taking around Little Key, Anse Marcel and Grand Case. Bought newspaper and "WE ARE ON THE FRONT PAGE" (for the Zoo benefit).<br><br>A snorkel, lunch and off to do some shopping in Philipsburg - by now we were totally comfortable where to go. <br><br>(Kisses #147 through #157)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] as Brenda bought Mike a new wedding ring to replace one lost 16 years ago. Price was less than ½ of the cost in Canada. Advice - shop carefully, negotiate, and be prepared to walk away. The jewelry store next door will have the same ring so competition is fierce. On to Marigot for a couple of classy T-shirts. It's really fun walking around the harbour people watching. <br><br>Dinner - Finally got to have dinner at Le Piccolo. Great meal and so close to home!! Very reasonable (I seem to recall about 490FF $70US with 3 glasses of wine). Special spring roll appetizers were excellent.<br><br>A very enjoyable meal, although not particularly romantic (Kisses #158 through #164)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. Like others on the TTOL board, we highly recommend this restaurant. Do make reservations.<br><br>Back to the hotel around 10:30 and to bed (Kisses #165 through #175,[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] etc, etc. - must be the new ring!!!).<br><br>Day 8 (April 8)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a strong breeze and big puffy white clouds. <br><br>Got up late. After breakfast, let sand gravity do its thing. In the afternoon, walked the length of Orient Beach from north to south, sampling the various bars as we went (Kisses #176 through #180)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. Too busy a beach to be romantic but lots of fun & any beach activity one could imagine. Took the obligatory pics at the Club O sign after working on our all over tans. <br><br>Back to the cabin to get ready for our dinner at La Vie en Rose in Marigot. Ended up 2 tables from our new friends Steve & Cathy who were celebrating their 29th anniversary!! Seems they must have got married when they were 7 or 8 as they sure don't look like grandparents. Terrific people.<br><br>Dinner - Fabulous meal in a romantic setting (balcony overlooking Marigot harbour). (Kisses #181 through #186)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. A little too noisy due to the motorcycles in the square below to rate A1 romantic status, but pretty darn good. Had the best chilled avocado & cucumber cream soup I've ever tasted followed with a lobster tournedos entrée to die for. So good in fact, Mike embarrassed Brenda by taking a picture of it!!<br><br>Back to the cabin. Beautiful full moon sparkling on Orient Bay. & warm tropical breezes led to (Kisses #187 through #194 [img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]& other related activities). Very romantic. A contender for best place to kiss.<br><br>Day 9 (April 9)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a strong breeze and big puffy white clouds (kind of repetitive isn't it!!!). <br><br>Snorkeling on reef in morning. Philipsburg in the afternoon to get Mike's ring resized. You know - big hands & big feet, etc. Actually had to get the ring size reduced as it was too loose. Also picked up 3 jumbo beach towels which were very hard to find. Lots of thin small towels around (3 for $20).<br><br>We visited with Barbara - and a more warm wonderful person you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere!! While there, we copied the Zoo race photos and Mike posted a brief TTOL message.<br><br>Dinner - Nice light burger meal at Mark's Place which is now in a shopping plaza in Philipsburg. Despite the so so location, it was a very enjoyable, relatively inexpensive light meal. Good conch fritters and a very good steak sandwich - in fact the steak (which is usually mediocre in a steak sandwich back home) was as good and tender as a proper restaurant steak. Good value at 315FF ($40US) <br><br>Not very romantic (Kisses #195 through #196)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. <br><br>Back to the hotel around 8:30 to read some of our St Martin material (new bird and fish books) and to bed (Kisses #196 through #197)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. Hey, give me a break, gotta rest some time!!!<br><br>Day 10 (April 10)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a stronger breeze and bigger puffy white clouds. Actually a couple of 3 minute showers during the afternoon.<br><br>Read about the view from Pic Paradis on the TTOL Board, so decided to give it a go. 5 minutes south of Grand Case, the road to Pic Paradis starts inland. Becomes seriously steep in a couple of spots and, despite Toyota eating potholes, you don't want to stop cause you may not get enough momentum going again.<br><br>Foot on the floor, slower and slower, down to 2 miles an hour…….Brenda's cry of "turn off the air conditioner" and it worked!!!! We gathered speed again. We passed several areas where people had parked their cars, jeeps, etc and decided to walk. However, this was "Macho Mike" driving and stopping was not an option. Besides, we have worse conditions in Canada……..however, back home it's usually in the middle of a blizzard!!<br><br>Eventually, we actually made it to the very top (next to the transmission tower). There were only two vehicles there - a Land Rover (with bush bars and rally lights) and our Toyota Corolla (with skinny tires and a very hot transmission).<br><br>What a view!! From Philipsburg around to Marigot and almost to Grand Case on one side and Orient Bay to Philipsburg on the other. Could see St Barth's, Saba and Anguilla in the distance. Advice - the best views are actually along a path that leads off the main road??!! about 100 yards down from the very top (oddly enough, where a sign says "best views"). (Kisses #198 through #208[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] - quite breathtaking - the view too). <br><br>Off to Club O to bid our new friends Jeff and Sandy adieu. Turns out we're all headed to L'Alabama for dinner so we joined forces for one of the best meals of the trip.<br><br>Dinner - Outstanding meal with great friends. Tremendous bordeaux (I forget which ones Jeff). Duck breast in wine sauce to die for. As Jeff (Peaceful) has reviewed the meal elsewhere, I won't repeat it). One of the more expensive meals but well worth it.<br><br>Romantic, although as it's on the opposite side of the street to the ocean, perhaps A2 romantic rather than A1 romantic.(Kisses #209 through #212)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]. Like others on the TTOL board, we highly recommend this restaurant. Do make reservations.<br><br>Just to make sure we'd remember the evening, Sandy flashed Mike.!! When backing up the car, Sandy chose that moment to demonstrate the million megawatt flash of his new digital camera (see picture under Sandman's posting). Roughly 2 hours later, when the spots in Mike's eyes began dissipating (just kidding), we dropped Jeff and Sandy at Club O and bid them so long until next year (remember ZOO 2 in 02).<br><br>Back to the cabin. Still a beautiful almost full moon sparkling on Orient Bay, quite windy with some clouds. (Kisses #213 through #219[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img] and so on and so on). An evening to remember!!<br><br>Day 11 (April 11)<br><br>Weather - hot & sunny (about 28C or 80F) a strong breeze and big puffy white clouds. <br><br>Visited Dawn Beach but it was far too breezy to snorkel on the reef. Worked on our overall tans and then body surfed on the large rollers. Caution - be mindful of the undertow on a windy day, it's easy to get pulled back just far enough to not be able to reach bottom. Had a couple of Pina and Virgin Coladas at the bar there - a very nice setting. (Kisses #220 through #225 [img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]- romantic but a bit too breezy to be softly romantic).<br><br>Oh yeah, ADVICE- never turn your back on the waves on a windy day!!! Now we know what the spin cycle feels like.<br><br>Dinner - First repeat. Not even we could eat at a gourmet restaurant every night, so we went back to the Talk of the Town for dinner. Great value again and we actually took some ribs away to supplement lunch the next day. <br><br>Back to the cabin about 10 after another romantic Grand Case Beach walk (Kisses #213 through #219)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img].<br><br>Continued in Part 2<br>[img]/images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/blush.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/love.gif[/img][hairy)[img]/images/icons/kiss.gif[/img]<br><br>Mike M.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Administrator on 4/30/01 03:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mike M.