We have just returned from 14 days on SXM at Club Orient (6/18-7/3). While there I was able to utilize the DSL internet connection in our accommodation to file a report about “Pothole Boulevard” on this site, fully expecting there would be an immediate positive reaction by the French authorities and that I would be able to report immediate and substantial improvements. I’m completely disillusioned!

Despite that setback, we had a wonderfully relaxing time and spent most days on the beach reading and doing nothing. We had lunch most days at Baywatch and commiserated with Andy about almost everything he had on his mind including that Cheryl was still in the states assisting her ill mother. Most mornings we would walk out to the point of the bay that extends from Club Orient’s portion of the beach with my wife looking for sea debris that she could bring home. Most nights were spent in Grand Case having dinner although this trip we did have a light dinner several nights in our chalet after having had especially large and late lunches. We made our customary trip to Phillipsburg one day as well.

Some specific comments to share:

1. We had dinner at Spigas (a great place—really like their pastas), il Nettunio (twice as there are several items on its menu that we wanted to try and as always enjoyed our meals and the service), Auberge Gourmand (our favorite place in Grand Case and we were not disappointed—next to California, they have the best desserts), California (twice-because it is convenient with early dinner hours and great desserts!), Bikini Beach (we always eat here our first night as it is conveniently located for tired travelers and we always need to pick thing up at the stores in Orient Village—this time we purchased some cheap beach towels and some “noodles” to use as floats and had ice cream sundaes at the ice cream place), The Greenhouse (the day we were in Philipsburg—o.k. but nothing special) and several times at Papagayos because, well, it was convenient on rainy nights when my wife refused to consider getting out of the car with a flashlight to look for hazards on Pothole Boulevard. I tried to convince my wife to try a lolo but she would have no part of that idea. Since at that time I still harbored some hope she would help me as a guide with the potholes, I did not push my luck. Someday I will know what a johnny cake tastes like but not this time.

2. We renewed some friendships with people we had gotten to know on previous visits and that was nice. Several folks had made the Tiko Tiko trip with us a few years ago and others we had met on the beach on past trips—this was our sixth straight trip and seventh trip since 1995. We recognized many other people whom we did not know but who come at the same time every year we do.

3. Parking in Phillipsburg is never great but this year it was awful. We could not find parking along the Salt Pond where we usually park. Tried the paid parking lot in the middle of town—full! Tried parking at the University of St. Martin—could find no parking space. This was on a non-cruise day. Finally made our way to the paid parking lot at Bobby’s Marina which had a lot of empty spaces. On future trips we will just go there first.

4. Made our first trip ever to Rimas in Phillipsburg. Reminds me of the Hilo Hattie stores on the various Hawaiian islands. We picked up some nice things at reasonable prices.

5. It seemed everywhere we went we saw the “Phantom”---at least that was true on Orient Beach and in Grand Case. The Phantom as we dubbed him was a very thin man with a shaved head who would walk all the way down the beach to Club Orient dressed in black pants and a long-sleeved black shirt. He would then spend the day on the beach minding his own business. Some times you would see him and then it was if he disappeared when you looked away and then looked back (we don’t drink so that was not the cause for his seemingly disappearing). Each night we ate in Grand Case we would see him walking down that beach similarly clad. In comparing notes with other folks on the beach, they too had noticed him. Maybe too much sun for all of us!

6. Club Orient seemed to be well managed to my not too discerning eyes. There was an older guy (I think his name was Bob but I may have him confused with Account Temps) who seemed to be the manager and was very pleasant with guests. The name tag system for beach lounges worked very well and the staff was generally very friendly. While we were there, all new gym equipment was being installed and several days during the week there was a yoga class in the morning for those guests who were sober enough to contemplate things.

7. Saw the gendarmes several times---always four to a little van—they travel in packs. Saw them stop one car. They were on the beach only once that I saw and that was at lunch time where they were parked at Pedro’s and seemed to be ogling the cruise ship passengers camped out there. Saw no police on the Dutch side. The Herald contained several reports of crimes against tourists, all of which as I recall were on the Dutch side. Most of the crimes related to people doing stupid things like leaving their belongings in plain view either in their cars or on the beach for quick thefts. There was one more serious incident at Mullet Bay our last Saturday involving an older tourist who was injured when some punks yanked her purse off her shoulder. There seems to be a rising concern with the authorities about the effect such incidents could have on tourism. Hopefully that will translate to more effective police. I would not let these reports dissuade me from coming to SXM for as the cliché goes, it happens everywhere in the world including most of our home towns.

It was a wonderful trip and we are already contemplating next summer’s visit.