Hi, just wanted to post a few interesting tidbits about sailing out of Placencia.
We did a crewed charter, so can't share any info about waypoints, except that our Captain spent a lot of time using his GPS and getting info for the Moorings on waypoints
in certain Cays. It is very shallow in a lot of places!
This was definitely a different trip than the BVI. If you are bareboating-provision with the Moorings. We ran across several boats that wished they had, as the availability of food in the village is really poor. The Moorings flies their provisions in from Belize City on a weekly basis, so they have good availability. We had to come back in to the base mid-charter for water and ice. There isn't much around out in the Cays. We didn't make it too far north though, went south the first few days to the Sopadillas, then into base, then out to some of the smaller Cays- Queens, and Ranguana, Buttonwood.
The snorkeling is incredible. We had no wind after the 2nd day, so that was pretty disapointing. It takes a long time to motor around, since the Cays are far apart.
Any specific questions I'd be happy to answer. We still love the BVI!

We would go back! I'd like to go up north around Glover's, etc. We didn't make it that far. There is not a lot to do on land, as some of the islands are exremely small. I mean like 50-100ft wide. We were anchored only twice with small beach bars available. Ranguana was lovely. Small but really neat- sort of like Soggy Dollar in earlier days, I would think. We found the people exremely nice. I've heard Belize City is not the place to hang around, but we only caught our Tropic Air plane there to Placencia. A lot of the Cays are protected National Park. Laughing Bird has a ranger there full time. I did miss the beach bars and being able to meet folks from other places.

We did a trip up the Monkey River by boat with a guide, which was really fascinating. Saw howler monkeys, birds, crocodiles, etc. We were going to do a Mayan Ruins tour, but wimped out due to the heat. Will get there next time.
PS: water temp was 85-87 degrees.

Kathy

Last edited by Administrator; 07/03/2007 03:07 PM.