Member Spotlight
casailor53
casailor53
Rincón PR
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Fred, ColoBoater, nevar37, OceanSong, RonDon, taraavo, Alltech63, hokiesailor, charlie, mark37, JeanneB, PML, Kevin_B, deliveryskipper, KirkB, ericlut, lcote, MrEZgoin, metsfan1, pburke40, pandpfromcanada, NumberCruncher, ndfaninnc, Uksimonusa, Kmon, bbeach, Sea_Skyman, 11 invisible), 956 guests, and 74 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Yet Another Trip Report #59268
06/21/2015 01:58 PM
06/21/2015 01:58 PM
PA
A
AndyPIT Offline OP
Traveler
AndyPIT  Offline OP
Traveler
A
PA
Well, it is painful to write this now but will summarize the highlights as best as I can:

1) First stop White Bay but since it was election day no bars... thank goodness Robert and staff at Caribbean Cellars had the delivery waiting for us at the base on Saturday!!! They do a great job and have by far the best prices! Dropped hook at Diamond Cay for night; we were only the 3rd boat to do so. We fired the grill and enjoyed the prime beef tenderloin hauled from mainland in a polar bear (if you must) but on the BVI charcoal I was talked into at Riteway... it was worth it! Kids were eager to snorkel so I let them mask up and look under boat at various fish etc.

2) Hiked to the bubbly pool and was patient for the action which did come sparingly over an hour or two of hanging out! We did see a lot of frustrated people walking to and from that expected a lot more action despite it being June LOL.
Weighed anchor and poked around Green Cay etc before setting sail... and took the long way to CGB LOL as the girls wanted to see Marsha for some braids in the worst way... just outside of the channel markers we picked up a pair of dolphins on the bow to bring us in!!! Awesome! We grabbed a ball and by the time the diesel was shut down the kids were in the water waiting for the dolphins that never came close enough and eventually disappeared. We visited Tony... who was hunched over the bar on his smartphone (lol) but did make one of the best bushwackers according to wife and we met a ton of great people there! Group of kids from France studying to be Doctors, a British Dive master with his little girl doing the same as us and just did CGB the best way I know! There wasn't much live music but we had a great "family day/night" there!

3)woke up Wednesday morning to all the umbrellas opened, bar owners at attention, jet skis appeared from no wear and here came the parade of taxis down the road! Cruise ship in Road Harbor! Kids and I were snorkeling at the time with another young family and 20 mins later there were hundreds of people walking the beach etc! It was crazy! There certainly were some interesting bathing suits showing up but I had to get the kids out of there! I noticed 2 other dinghy's loading up to escape as well. We dropped the ball and sailed to Guana and Monkey Point for late lunch... lot of beating but it was fun for some of us... the rest were rewarded with a night at the dock at Scrub! Very nice kids enjoyed pool and just wandering the dock at night as it is the best aquarium they have seen LOL.

4) We enjoyed the pool for most of the morning, re provisioned and was the last boat to pull out to sail to Anegada... we arrived to a full anchorage but choose to anchor off the Gov dock where only another large mono was anchored. great holding and the kids and I went to negotiate a jeep rental... I rented a 7 seater Suzuki that wouldn't have a hope of passing a PA state inspection but was very nice for there and I when I was told to just hop in any car by Stephanie in the hammock on her cell phone, I said ok taking the Camaro... to which she chuckled... I love the fact that she has that there on so many levels!!! So we circled the Island and caught the sun set from Cow Wreck! Just love this place!

5) Woke up and took the entire crew for a jeep ride to Lobloly where I found Conch and a coconut... I let the kids ty to crack it for a hour or so then opened it for them (this was a big daddy's and we saw 2 people the entire morning till we went over to the big bamboo where there were a few more people and a heated discussion about the election and money for the airport at the bar.
Sailed back to Leverick for the BBQ!!! Which is top notch and only thing I would change is giving better plates and silverware.

6) swam till noon hung in North sound till we finally made it to the baths at 3:45 where we played till later... (I know it says danger after 4:30 or whatever) we scooted to Trellis where we grabbed ball behind Foxy Lady from London... nice lights (as we've seen on a few boats this time down)! Met Tony at the Last resort for a drink and some Foosball! I thought the English took that game serious but their table needs some TLC (as does Tony!) I hope he gets straighted out as he seems like a great guy just a little off track! Hit up the Loose Mongoose and retired for the night.

7) Noticed the Sophisticated Lady moored just off the dock but never saw/met Rick... I did see his dinghy was tide off stern but he was bellow probably working on video so I didn't want to bug him. I do wonder if he noticed a Horizon mono come in and try and pick up a mooring ball like 10 times and eventually got there head sail wrapped up something massive and must have just gave up and headed back to base... I felt kinda bad and would have liked to help them sort the sail out but I have a feeling a captain was needed anyway. Saw few more turtles (it was the turtle trip!) And headed for JVD again... Ivan's was totally spruced up since last visit. Nice time as always... headed to Great Harbor to find it completely packed!!! Since we haven't been to Little Harbor in a while... we motored around and it was empty so we just grabbed a ball... we had some shrimp and chicken ready to grill when Cynthia from Harris's came out to collect but after we chit chatted for a while we had reservations for 7:30 dinner. We love Cynthia and she is one of the special people that make the BVIs so great... highly recommend paying her a visit!

8) next morning it was to Sandy Cay for a morning snorkel and there were some kite boarders from CA setting up... so we observed and then sailed to the caves for a late lunch and raced a captained 54' moorings boat to the caves... we weren't planning on racing actually had the main reefed when they tacked and over took us and waved at us... so we raced (close enough to make women nervous) and eventually beat them pretty bad to the caves... around 5pm I took the kids over to the Willy T to dive off and low and behold there was Captain Andrew from the 54' boat with two other captains from a large group from NJ who were two sheets to the wind singing and dancing (as NJ people do) he recognized me as I said we passed very close and said HEY... as that you on the 45.4... wow that boat is fast we couldn't catch you and of course he said well I was with them pointing at the drunks... we laughed and had a red stripe... (I still had to pay for it though LOL. we slept

9)returned boat... amazing back up job by me I must add... those boats back very nicely compared to even my 19' ski nautique. Jumped in the pool saw Captain Andrew again listen to his crew yip about needing to get to STT to shop. Took the Charger back to STT next morning.

Great Trip... surely I forgot 1/2 the great points... shed a lot more money than I anticipated but worth every penny! I was pleasantly surprised to have 12-25kn winds almost constantly all WEEK long!!! no foul weather this time... until the kids can withstand longer sails... this is the place!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Yet Another Trip Report [Re: AndyPIT] #59269
06/21/2015 02:43 PM
06/21/2015 02:43 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the detailed report. I am glad you enjoyed Harris place in little harbour. I prefer Sydney's. Cynthia is only friendly if you have dinner with her.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/4///
Re: Yet Another Trip Report [Re: warren460] #59270
06/21/2015 09:13 PM
06/21/2015 09:13 PM
PA
A
AndyPIT Offline OP
Traveler
AndyPIT  Offline OP
Traveler
A
PA
Well, there is bad blood between Sydney Jr and Cynthia to say the least. If what I was told is even remotely true... Jr should be in jail. Of course I don't know the entire story....

Re: Yet Another Trip Report [Re: AndyPIT] #59271
06/21/2015 09:24 PM
06/21/2015 09:24 PM
trueblue Offline
Traveler
trueblue  Offline
Traveler
He has served his time and has been out for several years

Re: Yet Another Trip Report [Re: trueblue] #59272
06/21/2015 09:38 PM
06/21/2015 09:38 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
It's unfortunate that the bad blood affects the customers. Cynthia is friendly until she finds out your not dining with her. Also her boat is a mess and you might not want to let her tie alongside.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

Re: Yet Another Trip Report [Re: warren460] #59273
06/21/2015 10:22 PM
06/21/2015 10:22 PM
PA
A
AndyPIT Offline OP
Traveler
AndyPIT  Offline OP
Traveler
A
PA
Oh... obviously you don't know what Jr did or was accused of doing... her little old dinghy was fine and she was careful around our boat.

Next time she comes to collect from you just don't mention Sydney's and you should be fine...

agreed... tourists should never have no know there is beef between them.

Re: Yet Another Trip Report [Re: AndyPIT] #59274
06/21/2015 10:41 PM
06/21/2015 10:41 PM
Here and There
rita_irvine Offline
Traveler
rita_irvine  Offline
Traveler
Here and There
Why should anyone have to watch what they say to Cynthia. She is rude and nasty to anyone who does not say they are going to frequent her establishment. She has been a source of irritation since I first started chartering in 1985. She was just as nasty then as she is now. I know BVI is known for its characters, but she is not someone who I would consider a good ambassador for BVI

Rita
It is better to be happy than it is to be right

[Linked Image]
Re: Yet Another Trip Report [Re: warren460] #59275
06/21/2015 11:16 PM
06/21/2015 11:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
I do indeed know what happened. I have seen the news article on the subject. As sad as it is, we have nothing do to with it. By simply stating we are not eating with her, she gets very angry.

I understand how she is scarred but don't like how she treats us and many others. If she was not so nasty, we might have tried her place. We have not eaten there since her father was around.

Last edited by warren460; 06/21/2015 11:18 PM.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Yet Another Trip Report [Re: warren460] #59276
06/22/2015 09:02 AM
06/22/2015 09:02 AM
PA
A
AndyPIT Offline OP
Traveler
AndyPIT  Offline OP
Traveler
A
PA
Well, there is always two sides (maybe three in this case) but she was nice to us even when we said we were thinking of cooking on board. I was the one who asked her about others in Little Harbor and she got a little jumpy as she looked over to see Jr sitting outside his fathers place smoking a cigar glaring back at her with a devilish grin. His Father was awesome and lovable as far as I knew! I think most of his customers want to pretend he is his father.

That night while we were eating on the otherside of the island there was a little bit of commotion... turns out a nice man in his 30s drowned... shame and don't now the entire story of that but we could tell the ladies were saddened.