Member Spotlight
Jim_Laraine
Jim_Laraine
Maryland
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
paradissatravel, SXMCONNECTION
Who's Online Now
27 registered members (bran, jrw, foreversxm, jeepers, Beansbbq, bailau, OllieEh, Matt W, Matagorda Dude, Bernd, nevar37, Kennys, Alecs, Manpot, geomo, CaribbeanCanadians, mark37, SteveH, BillB42, 8 invisible), 953 guests, and 158 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Bareboat Charter in Antigua and Barbuda #83024
01/19/2016 07:03 PM
01/19/2016 07:03 PM
New York, NY
C
c388791 Offline OP
Traveler
c388791  Offline OP
Traveler
C
New York, NY
Hey Sailors,

Was hoping to get some inside scoop from people who have sailed around Antigua and Barbuda. My partner and I are chartering a Bavaria 33 from Horizon the end of February.

I've read the cruising guides, looked at the charts, and read every thing I could find on line.

I guess my one specific question is: How easy is it to navigate around all of the reefs? Looks like there are some fantastic anchorages near Great Bird and Rabbit Islands in northeast Antigua, but lots of coral. Same goes for the south coast of Barbuda, between Cocoa Point and Spanish Point. I know about the changes of water color, having the sun behind/above you, and to watch for breaking waves/changes in the surface patterns.

Also hoping to get some general comments and impressions from those who have been there. I'm looking forward to the passage to/from Barbuda, as well as some quiet anchorages and nature. We tend to shy away from the beach bar/social scene and cook/bbq most meals on board.

Thanks,

George

Sponsors
Re: Bareboat Charter in Antigua and Barbuda [Re: c388791] #83025
01/20/2016 08:25 AM
01/20/2016 08:25 AM
Annapolis
Eva Offline
Traveler
Eva  Offline
Traveler
Annapolis
My crew and I did this trip several years ago. Here's the link to my trip report: Antigua Sailing. We used Horizon as well -- they were terrific.

I don't recall having any major difficulties navigating around the reefs -- just the usual cautions. But if you're worried, get some reassurance at your chart briefing.

I will say that Barbuda was a highlight of the trip. We spent several nights there, largely having the anchorage to ourselves. Knowing what I know now, I would have been content to split the trip between Barbuda and English Harbour. The contrast between wild nature and history was amazing.

I realize now that it's been quite a while since we went, but unless things have changed in a big way, I found Antigua was not particularly friendly, and certainly not very inviting to sailors (which is ironic, since it bills itself as quite the seafaring destination). Restaurants accessible from the shore are mediocre at best (you will be happier feeding yourselves), and few places have dinghy docks for you to land comfortably. I was glad to have made the trip, but would not do it again.

I've got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control... (JB)
Re: Bareboat Charter in Antigua and Barbuda [Re: Eva] #83026
01/20/2016 09:11 AM
01/20/2016 09:11 AM
New York, NY
C
c388791 Offline OP
Traveler
c388791  Offline OP
Traveler
C
New York, NY
That's an awesome trip report. Exactly the sort of intel I was hoping for. Thanks for sharing.