Two friends and I made a trip to Rock Lodge, near Stockholm, NJ last Friday. Most nudist "resorts" can be put into either the category of a resort hotel or an RV park with a pool. This is neither.

They have around 400 acres, of which about 140 are "developed". There are about 30 "cabins" around the property. Technically, they may be cabins, but most look like small vacation homes (and some are larger). They are mostly arranged around a lake. The lake has two "beaches", one called Sand Beach and the other Rock Beach, and you can see why. There are two floating docks in the lake and a number of boats that can be borrowed, along with some inflatables. There are a small number (perhaps a dozen) chairs.

The resort is named after a large rock building that was originally a farmhouse. It's three stories high, but is the tallest building in the county (the Fire Department practices on it during the winter). It contains guest rooms, which look small and have shared bathrooms.

The other large building is called the "bungalo". It has a recreation room, some lockers, restrooms, a kitchen, and some guest rooms (also small, with shared bathrooms). Downstairs is a moderately-sized sauna.

Behind that building is a tennis court and to the side is hot tub. Unfortunately, the hot tub is out of service due to difficulty in finding parts for that model (which was marketed as residential) to comply with new codes relating to the drains of commercial hot tubs (which this is because they charge admission to the resort).

It was a relatively cool and cloudy day, so there weren't that many people around, making it hard to get a good idea of the demographics of the place. There were children playing on the beach and it's clear that's not unusual. Like most naturist places, most of the people appeared to be retirement age, but we did see one or two young couples. Lots of people were covered up due to the weather, but the sense that I got from the way they did so is that nudity is the norm there when the weather is more conducive to it.

I often go to Goodland and my feeling is that if you're looking for day trip to get sun, Goodland is the better of the two places because they have more chairs and sunning areas. But Rock Lodge has more facilities and better accomodations and is better for overnight and longer stays.