Trip Report

6/11/09 – 6/22/09 - First our original trip was supposed to be 6/12/09 – 6/22 but due to a US Air schedule change we flew to charlotte the night before. I know that schedules do change, but US Air didn’t even notify me of the change. I checked the reservation on line and saw they were going to fly us to JFK, give us 20 minutes to get our next flight. I knew that wasn’t going to happen so I called US Air, they changed the reservation. I also did web check in for the flight to Charlotte and from Charlotte to SXM. I also printed our boarding passes.

6/11 – We flew out of Albany, NY to Charlotte. Arrived and our hotel sent a shuttle. I would recommend the hotel we used the Charlotte Airport Sheraton. It had a nice room, shuttle service and restaurant on site. The restaurant was nice, decent food, not super expensive. I booked on line $129. I did notice you get to board earlier if you have a internet printed boarding pass. First time I experienced that.

6/12 – We flew out of Charlotte at 9:30 am, nice flight. Almost full but not completely. Arrived on time in SXM. We traveled carry on only so we very quickly made it out of the airport and Mohammad from ACE/Panoramic was there waiting for us. We received our normal white corolla and on our way we went. We drove to Grande Marche for some groceries for the room then on to Club O. By the way, traffic was not bad. We really didn’t get caught up in anything but I think it was timing. We did see quite a bit of progress on the round abouts and a few traffic pattern changes but overall not bad.

We stopped had a drink with Willie to give her a hat to hang at the perch. We then walked the beach a little. That evening we had dinner at papagayo. Food was really good. It is not cheap but it sure is nice to be able to go to dinner without having to dress.

Every morning was the same, we ate breakfast in. The baked goods at the boutique are very good.

We ate in our room more this trip than last. I really don’t mind. Sitting at the Chalet at the table outside to me is paradise.

We did have lunch at the perch quite a few times. The new woman cooking, Maree, is wonderful. I had the shrimp, chicken and ribs all good. Ken had the cheeseburger, hot dog and ribs, all good. I give thumbs up to the lunch at the perch. Nice view, great drinks and all really nice people.

We did drive over to the Grand Marche again for supplies and Rum Jumbie. Again our timing must have been good, we went shopped and returned in about an hour and a half.

For Dinners we did go to Papagayo on a few occasions. All the meals were very good. Carlos always goes out of his way for us, he is really doing a good job with the restaurant. I had my first Caribbean lobster this trip. Lobster thermidor and it was very good. Ken had the veal rack with pineapple salsa and he said it was wonderful. That was the night of our 26th anniversary. We did have the prime rib special both Saturdays and it was good. I also noticed a lot more couples that were staying at Club O were eating there, most nights seemed to have a nice group. The happy hour at papagayo was very slow, most nights not many people. Even the perch happy hour wasn’t as big as it was last year at this time. Ken even made the comment this year the beach in general, all the way from Club O to Boo Boo Jam was not as crowded as last year at this time. We also had ribs from Pedro’s one evening. They were good too. Walked down to Baywatch on Monday, forgot they weren’t open on Monday. We also tried to have breakfast at Bikini but the morning we walked down, they couldn’t open. They were waiting for a key. We also tried to stop at Cito’s on recommendation from Peconic but they weren’t open when we drove through. I think the sign said they open at 3.

Most days we walked the beach, swam, sat under the umbrellas, and enjoyed cocktails. We met up with some folks we have met in the past. We also met many new couples that were very nice. Overall, never felt unsafe, had really no traffic problems and had a very relaxed trip. We are already looking forward to next year. No problems on the return to Charlotte, or from Charlotte to Albany. We checked our luggage on the return due to bringing back Rum Jumbie for my daughter. And just as I was ready to say, US Air did ok, my suitcase didn’t arrive. It scanned saying it was put on the plane in Charlotte but wasn’t on the belt. Filed the report, called the next morning, they located my suitcase. It was on the plane, they missed it. It was on my front porch by 10am.

Sorry if the report was boring. But this for us was the most relaxing vacation we have had yet. Next year, we may skip the car.