Hi

This is an honest effort to keep our trip log as brief and compact as possible, i.e. the usual geezer activities - reading, Yahtzee, etc - are omitted. Because we were unable to reserve our favorite cottage (#10) at Cinnamon Bay - and we tried to do it on our last day at the campground last year! - St. John was not part of the trip this May. This covers just the Jost van Dyke portion of the trip.

The cab fare from Great Harbor to Ivan’s was a very reasonable $10. The ferry landed at a new dock on the west side of the bay - apparently because the dock in front of the Customs office had shallowed out too much, and so they diverted the ferry traffic. Romal checked us into the cabin (no numbers any more - now names, with ours Ying-Yang). We stuffed our remaining food into the small fridge, and headed over to the stress-free bar and kitchen for a pain killer. I poured our own drinks and wrote the chit down in the Camper’s Tab composition book. Behold, Jeannius is parked right in front of us off the beach. A dinghy load landed some guests, but we didn’t get to meet anyone. However, who should show up but Michael Beans - still on island after his last show (a couple of days ago). We got a couple of pictures of him, and got a dose of his trademark “aaargh”. Captain Rick was there as well (doing a video) and was part of the group picture.

We had a prolonged chat with two ladies from the U. K. (the first from near Manchester), starting with the seemingly inevitable questions about Barack Obama, but later more wide ranging. Their party is on a 50' Beneteau and just about at the end of their cruise. We watched a younger couple playing bocce ball on the beach (Mike & Christy). Later, they strolled over and we had a long talk (not about Barack Obama!). They are also near the end of their trip, and going home to see their kids (who are staying with grandparents). They are from Charleston, SC. I enlisted Kristi in my ongoing campaign to go to the Abacos, which the wife had been going to since she was a kid. They are staying in the downstairs unit of Ivan’s guest house on the other side of the entrance road to the campground.

We got up the next morning to coffee and tang, and I reheated the leftover nachos in the microwave (after finally figuring out how it worked - the toaster oven showed no signs of life). Although people were reasonably diligent about washing dishes in the communal kitchen, I wouldn’t touch anything that had been stored in the fridge with a ten foot pole! I was entertained by the resident hermit crab, whose hole was next to the front steps of Ivan’s Bar and Kitchen, totally unconcerned when I walked by. We got some reading in while waiting for Ivan’s cousin to arrive with the rental car at 9:30. It was a very pretty and new Suzuki with a hard top and a little over 1000 miles (which doesn’t mean much - how much mileage can you accrue on Jost van Dyke!).

There was some activity in Great Harbor, and we looked at the menus on our way to see if there was anything I could eat for breakfast - no luck there! We stopped at Foxy’s and got a menu from Reuben - again no luck! Foxy had been there earlier, but had moved on. We drove over the hill to Abe’s by the Sea on the east side of Little Harbor, but still no luck. We drove on to Foxy’s Taboo, pretty much in the same area where there had been a trash-strewn sandy beach, with only the beginnings of a structure which is now a nicely manicured place, complete with a gift shop and a fine pier. (All of the electrical connections weren’t in yet, though!) We had two each of Foxy’s fantastic Bushwhackers, and watched a modest array of mono-hulls and cats pulling into the moorings in the gap between Foxy’s and Little Jost. It was too hot to trudge over to the bubbly pool. As I was taking pictures, the Jost van Dyke Fire and Rescue truck scooted away after lunch(?) and refreshments at Foxy’s bar. We went back to Little Harbor and down the side road to Harris’ Place and Sidney’s Peace and Love. Chris got her picture taken holding a freshly caught lobster. (They had left the trap door open over the lobster pen, which caught my eye going on). We shared a tremendous lobster salad and fries, eating inside (after they turned the A/C down, as it was way too cold for Chris!). I got a Sidney’s Peace and Love shirt before we left.

At Ivan’s, a modest stream of boaters drift through the bar and gift shop (the JVD Yacht Club!). Kuralu came tearing through the harbor with a bunch of day sailors hooting and hollering, obviously heading for Great Harbor and (probably) Foxy’s. I went over to Sand Castle at 3 PM and, luckily too, as our name wasn’t on the book for dinner. Kip got me in touch with Oliver, and we signed up for supper (provisionally, as he wanted a minimum of six and there were only five signed up for dinner). There was no problem with the soup and mahi-mahi for me and pork for Chris. The bar and outer area were jammed elbow to elbow with daytime visitors. I at least got a chance to see Harmony’s baby - a beautiful child.

When we went over at about 5-ish, the crowd had visibly thinned. One couple were trying to keep up with their ring-tossing champion daughter (about 10 years old, or thereabouts), who had beaten the ring game 18 times and was busily engaged in giving a slightly older boy (maybe 12-13) a ring toss tutorial. The candle-light dinner was fabulous (as always)- thank you Oliver for cooking a meal for five! I think the soup was more highly seasoned than Chris expected. The mahi was great (and the sauce was excellent). I had banana ice cream and Chris will save her carrot cake for tomorrow. The couple next to us were busily engaged in conversation with the solitary and very voluble widower next to them. I saw no sign of any activity in the beach cottages - makes me wonder if they had cancellations, although the occupants? may have been elsewhere, of course. On returning, we found that Ivan and his work crew have hooked up the sinks in the bathrooms, so there is running water there. Hopefully, the showers will work as well, as they are needed!

The next day, Romal and the cook were busy cooking and preparing food for the BBQ. I did get in a swim and joined in, with the three people in front of us, enjoying the anchoring/ mooring circus. We missed getting to the head of the line at the BBQ, but there was plenty of food - chicken, ribs, fish with a great sauce, etc. Everybody in our group of six retired back at the gazebo that we had just left. The highlight of the evening (for me) was when Reuben Chinnery played “Midnight Special” one more time for us. We had a second chat with the couple from Charleston - and found out we were inspirational! (Age counts in some circles!) The E-Mail address of the couple from Charleston is in the photo log. (Unfortunately, I late found out that the E-Mail address for Alan and Kristi Harris didn’t work. Bummer! Need their input on the Bahamas.)

We got up early and finished packing to get ready for the taxi taking us to the Great Harbor Ferry at 8:30 for the 9 AM trip. Romal promised to take us in if the taxi was late. (We took a great pic of Romal and his beautiful child!) The taxi did show up at 8:45, and four of us (with two young ladies going to ‘Tola) drove to the ferry dock. There was no chance of getting breakfast. I got a chance photo of Reuben Chinnery, who was taking the ferry back to Tortola to play at Bananakeet again tonight. The ferry ride to West End was a breeze, as the channel was almost a mill pond. (We found we had paid for a round trip ticket on the way over.)

There was quite a crowd getting tickets for Speedy’s ferry, including a young couple behind us (also going to Guavaberry). It was another uneventful ferry crossing, except that most of the boats we saw on the way were motor sailing. Great ferry!

Peace
Dugg & Chris
The 2009 pics are now up at http://picasaweb.google.com/papadugg/

The sun and the sand and a drink in my hand with no bottom
and no shoes, no shirt, and no problems...KC