Fstorms - yes this is a bareboat charter through a major fleet. It is certainly unusual. I'd rather not share all of the particulars at this point only as they are not (100%) fully finalized, but we have basic agreement between me, boat owner (relatively new 40'+ cat), charter management company, and insurance company. What I'll say is that my approach to getting this done has focused on working with the Boat Owner rather than the Charter manager.

I have spent over 3 months working to put this together (think 10-15+ hours weekly - basically a part time job), so its not for the faint of heart! To get to this point of basic agreement, I posted many times of this board and others, while speaking to Owners, Charter Companies (generally not helpful for my needs), Boat Brokers, and untold others.

I am an early 50's "semi-retired" entrepreneur so I've got the flexibility to make all of this happen. Along the way, I've spotted a very unique business opportunity which I'll not discuss at this point, but which would be extraordinarily valuable to boat owners in charter fleets and also valuable to charterers and charter managers - the trifecta win-win-win! More on that later as I may decide to pursue that down the road!

I have very significant sailing experience which is certainly beyond the basic chartering experience, including being part of a number open ocean delivery crews (for gaining personal experience, not for the compensation), racing, and many, many personal charters - the basic stuff like east coast, northwest, and Caribbean charters, etc. Among other things I'm doing to prepare is retaking my basic coastal navigation course and also taking a diesel mechanic course.

The basic plan is Tortola through Antigua, possibly a bit further south east in the Leewards, and then back for a full roundtrip over 8 weeks beginning early May - my wife and 7 year old son will be aboard. We are excited to give our son a great opportunity and different type of education - while possibly setting ourselves up for a bigger sailing adventure down the road (though that's very uncertain). Frankly, this adventure is a way to "test the waters" for that larger adventure, even if this is really just a cakewalk compared to something grander.

I've been asking questions here and will continue to do so - I have much to do and learn in preparation for this adventure - stay tuned!!!