Never been but maybe some of the Bahamian islands? I know some of them are pretty crowded and busy but I think there are places you can get away from it all there as well. And I don't think they've been significantly impacted by any of this year's hurricanes. Fairly close to you as well - relatively speaking.

You could try some of the not-so-popular places in Mexico. Areas around Tulum might be a good option - possibly a house rental in Akumul with a chef?

Hawaii is always an option as well - maybe the big island or more remote parts of some of the other islands. Hawaii can be pretty expensive though and getting there from Michigan would be a bit of a haul.

As Fletch said, Antigua, Nevis and St. Kitts are options. We sailed through all of them last year and they each had their charms. Also St. Lucia, Grenada and The Grenadines (which is where we are headed this February).

We will learn more shortly in terms of how Puerto Rico fared with Maria (fingers crossed). If you get out of San Juan it can be less busy and there is lots to see - and San Juan is a great city as well. Maybe you've been before as it is a really easy flight from the east/midwest. I really hope Maria wasn't as bad as feared and the residents and businesses will be able to bounce back quickly.

Still lot's of places that haven't been impacted or at least were minimally impacted by the hurricane. Just take a look at Google Earth to get some ideas.

Matt

BTW, not that it is really relevant, but I grew up in Grand Rapids. Drove out to the Pacific Northwest in 94' at age 22 and never drove back. But I do miss Michigan and love visiting every year or two.