Well it has been 7 years since we went to Greece. We did a little of both. 3 days in Athens, then got on the Motor Sailor Sea Crown and traveled the islands. The boat had room for 10 couples. The food was the best I had in Greece and that is saying something.

The winds in Greece can be challenging and there are some pretty strict laws on boats carrying passengers and weather. I think it relates back to more than a couple ferry accidents. What I am saying is your planned itinerary may not be the traveled one when you are on a smaller boat. Sea Crown was 120 feet if I remembering correctly. We sailed a little and motored a lot.

[Linked Image]

When it was all said and done the one Island we never made it to was the primary initial goal – Santorini. However we built 4 unplanned days on the back end of the trip to see something we missed or redo something we loved. So we jumped on a ferry in Syros and went to Santorini for 3 days before returning to Athens once again on a ferry.

My favorite place we went to on the trip was not a planned destination – Nafplio in Peloponnese.

My favorite island would be Kythnos. When we stepped on Terre Firma there were 20 tourists on the island. They all had come from our boat. We explored the mountains, enjoyed the people, and the food… oh my. Very Very Sleepy place.

Santorini was magical also, and is a must see. Syros was a working island nothing exciting. Tinos is special and another place worth exploring.

And we had a blast in Poros (not Paros) when we got invited in to an 30th anniversary party, which the couple renewed vows and had one amazing reception.

We traveled the last week of September and first week of October. Weather was great, but windy. I would like to return in the spring when all floral life is in full swing. Hope this helps.