Hello ski ... Trust me, once you visit Sint Maarten you'll always want to return! Just adding to some of the excellent suggestions above I can offer the following. Maho Beach and the Sunset Bear Bar and Restaurant are always a must for me. The planes land right on top of you and you swear you can touch their landing gear as they descend directly over this beach. The Sunset Beach Bar is adjacent to this beach and has very good food, especially the burgers. It's a little pricey, but not bad overall. The staff sometimes can get a bit stuffy and they need to smile more, but it won't diminish from your visit.

If you drive into Philipsburg, there are also some good dining options. One of my favorites is Chesterfields which is very near the cruise port. Not sure if they're up and running after Irma, but if they are you might want to consider them. Holland House Hotel also provides more upscale dining on their patio which is tiered and overlooks Great Bay, Saba, etc.

My favorite beach has always been Orient, but it's going to take a little while longer to get that area up to pre-Irma levels. I also like Friar's Bay Beach and Happy Bay Beach to the west once you pass through Grand Case. Happy Bay Beach is quite secluded and can only be reached on foot through a couple of pathways. I suppose Saint Martin simply has too many beaches to choose from! As far as sites to explore and places to visit, there are still several good options. My beloved Butterfly Farm on the French side got destroyed, but Loterie Farm is nearby and provides hiking trails,, etc. Hope you enjoy your visit.