It was like watching a real-life nightmare unfold as I followed this storm on my computer here in the states. First, it struck the beautiful island of St. Bart's and then a direct hit to SXM was imminent. Places so beautiful with so many good people having to endure this just seemed so unfair. I thought about all the wonderful residents I had come to know from past visits. From the nice staff at Holland House to the 'Yoda' guy to the great staff at the Butterfly Farm ... I was so worried about their safety and well being that I had trouble getting to sleep that night. I expected total devastation along Orient Beach, but structures can be rebuilt (eventually). The relatively low loss of life was of some relief, but I knew the further suffering that these people would have to endure.

For the next month I tried to find whatever video feed and stream I could find online so I could see the damage for myself. Our December visit was cancelled, but down deep I knew that St. Martin would bounce back and be better than ever. Now, one year later I am a bit frustrated with the issues that have arisen with places like Club O., but at the same time I'm inspired by the continued news of other places re-opening and coming back strong. A place like St. Martin is simply too special to stay down forever, and I look forward to next April when we'll will resume our visits to SXM.