I’m not familiar with this publication nor do I know if the statistics are accurate or where they were sourced. Certain other news outlets do tend to sensationalize this topic with inflated numbers and unfounded data, and I’m not saying this is one of those. I am aware of the rise in gang-related, turf war activities, I would just need to seek out coraborating sources as usual.

But bugambilias is right on - our daily life in the Riviera Maya is as he states, and context is important to really understand this. We enjoy life here and the people are wonderful! Usually this type of post is by a couple of trolls we know of who have never visited Mexico and never will, but thrive on sharing negative news about the area for some reason. I’m not accusing the OP of that at all, but yes, context is all important when sharing this kind of information for newbies to rely on.

"Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life — and travel — leaves marks on you.”
-Anthony Bourdain