We have been bare boating the BVI for 35 years, and usually charter a bit older vessels. Mono hulls that are set up for sailing and
easy for two people to handle.

Our fairly easy requirements "

* 36 to 37 footers, Professional easy to reef the main sail system . Quality roller fuller for the jib sail . Sheet blocks that run easily on the tracks.

* Dinghy boarding ladder to make getting back on board the dinghy easy after snorkeling

* Stern swim step shower for a fresh water wash down of the body and snorkel gear.

* Ice box, or refer that actually will keep the ice and items cold .

* Comfortable, thick , new , cushions for sleeping up in the V-Berth

* Pull shade for the V-berth overhead hatch....

* Extra line, in good shape, not chaffed , for rigging double bridles when picking up a mooring. Extra dock lines , as well.

* Sails with decent shape..........for those of us who sail

* Accurate knot meter, depth sounder, and wind instruments

* A user friendly binnacle mounted GPS with moving map . Auto pilot that works is also good . But, we hand steer the vessel 90 % of the time.
We alternate helm watches on passages. We absolutely love sailing the vessel and not motoring.

And, I use paper charts , and my own nave tools, and hand bearing compass as well as the GPS.

* Good cockpit cushions, as well as matching small cushions for back rests.

* Accurate fresh water and fuel supply gauges, as well as volt meters for all batteries.

We do not need : A.C, , water maker, or gen set, or ice maker, or water toys , or giant bean bags. ,

^ Storage area for personal gear, and ships inventory. With just two people , we use the quarter berth, for fenders , seat cushions, companion way hatch cover , empty carry on size duffel bags ( 0ne each) and maybe the boat hook.. Extra hangers in the hanging lockers.

* All boat systems , up alpha, and operating

* Easy operation for marine head pump out, some are a beast to work with. Also, easy movement of marine head overboard thru hull.

These last few years we have been sailing the BVI, for our usual two weeks in May,(BVi trip # 17) and very happy with Conch ChartersJjeanneau 36i . For four people we would bounce up to 42 ft monohull. Need one berth area for storage .

Yep, now we prefer older vessels that are well maintained. And the charter company family owned, friendly, easy going, helpful , professional ,and knowledgeable.

Earlier years beginning 36 years ago we were with the moorings, when owned by the Carries.....Then came the merger with Sunsail, and then TUI, now, who knows.

About four or five years ago, after returning to the moorings docks post moorings charter, I had noted 16 descrepancies on an expensive moorings boat, When the staff came to check us in, I went over the squawks, The check- in person, did not understand a word of what I was saying and did not write a single one of them
down. After that, we switched to Sunsail, Eventually, we totally dropped the big corporate rip off, over charging, and indifferent attitude by the TUI staff.

Plus, we sail with just the two of us, not 8 to 12 people on a large catamaran. , Again, tho we have been told
that we are old school, We actually love sailing, and a mono hull fits the two of us just fine.

We also are not sure about investing tens of thousands of dollars for upgrades, A.C, gen sets, ice makers, and floating green dragons, but, that is us, and it is evident that we are a dying breed .. We have noted the definite change to large Catamarans, huge corporations, and large groups of people who want the comforts of a luxury hotel. The times are what they are, and fun can be had by all .

The OP wanted an opinion from monohull sailors as to what we would like to have on board for a bvi sailing vacation......there you go.

Last edited by captdennyj; 09/25/2019 06:43 AM.