Originally Posted by agrimsrud
Originally Posted by maytrix
Sorry, forgot 2 key details, although I figure one would be assumed given the forum smile Our boat will be in the BVI. She's been going between BVI and Jamestown RI but I think we're going to stick to the BVI year round moving forward.

She's a Beneteau Oceanis 43. 3 Cabins, 3 heads. Not sure we have the room for a water maker or how feasiblel that is without a genset. But we are replacing the bimini so I was looking at integrating solar panels to it and maybe adding an additional battery if we can which would give us more capacity at least.

Ideally, for those that charter mono's (which seem to be fewer and fewer these days), I'm wondering what would make you pick an older boat vs a newer boat. Price of course is one factor where we would be lower. Just wondering what a new boat might have that an older boat often doesn't and is enough to make paying more for the newer boat worthwhile. All the charters we've done, age really hasn't been a factor that made any difference - we had no issues on some of the older boats we were on and issues with some of the brand new boats we were on. I know not everyone thinks that way though. Off hand the few things I can think of are more up to date instruments, better audio system, solar and wifi? Wondering what I might be missing that makes a difference to some?

Thanks!

Matt - I'm curious how you are going to get the information into the hands of potential charter guests. I suppose it depends a bit on how you are going to charter the boat out, i.e., a charter company or some other (?) direct sale perhaps? But in the end the person who is trying to book a boat has to be able to find the information you want to make them aware of. You can have all the upgrades someone might really like but if they are not aware of that how is it a benefit for you in booking out the boat?

Yes, that is a good point. It is with a company now (Swain Sailing) so I'd make sure the site is updated as well as put together a personal site. I would want to make sure everything is listed. Right now we're taking care of some necessary updates (New Genoa and bimini and Dodger) so we'll see what else we might be able to get to.

Thanks to everyone for all the other info, it is very helpful!

Last edited by maytrix; 10/02/2019 01:45 PM.

Matt