First, welcome!! I am one of the admins here, so if you have any questions, you can always send me a private message.

With regard to your questions--Rent a car. Cars are cheap, versus taxis, and much more convenient. You will not get to enjoy that much of the island if you have to depend on taxis. That said, since you are a first time visitor, you might want to consider getting a cab the first day and then have your rental car delivered to you the next day. Travelling is always such 'sweet sorrow' these days, so it might be less stressful to have a taxi take you to Orient the first day so that you don't have to worry about getting lost initially. It's really easy to get around, but with all the stress of the first day in a new place, it might be easier to get a cab. Taking a cab to Orient the first day is going to cost you about $30-$35, plus bags and tips, so not cheap. You can find plenty of places to eat at Orient Vilage, or just eat right there at LaPlaya. (I guess they are open in the evenings?? Not sure) Then have the car delivered the next morning and go around and explore.

As far as restaurants, there are a TON of great restaurants along Orient, including right there at LaPlaya, and many more in Orient Village, right around the corner. Just take a walk over and look at the menus which are posted there in front of each restaurant and see what appeals to you. Remember that prices on Orient are going to be listed in EUROS (and usually Dollars also), so make sure you are familiar with the Euro rate, to know what you are paying. Be advised that even if the price is listed in Euros, you can ALWAYS pay in Dollars if you wish. If you are charging it, it usually is better to charge it in Euros, to get the bank exchange rate. Another issue with restaurants on the French side that you may not be familiar with, is that normally on the French side, you do NOT add 15% tip on top of the bill. The normal 'tip' on the French side is a small amount, maybe $5 on a $100 check. If you dine on the Dutch side, be aware that many restaurants automatically add a 15% service charge, so make sure you look at your bill to ensure that you are not double tipping on the Dutch side. Sounds complicated, but you will get the hang of it!

Please post any other specific questions you might have.

Carol Hill