I have been travelling to SXM since 2005. Everytime, even the first time, we rented a car, as people here suggested it. We found our way around the island with ease,,,really only one main road,,but...many times we were detoured around for one reason or the other. Really , still, no problem.
However, we just got back a week ago from our 2 week stay. One week in the Simpson Bay area, and one in Maho area. I questioned myself a couple of times on why did we rent a vehicle? Has anyone else noticed that the traffic has been insane? Honestly, didn't matter what time of day we ventured out,,we were moving like snails.....this year especiallly. Not really sure why? Yes, last year it was busy, but this year I noticed it so much more.
I don't think I will ever drive to Phillipsburg again. I will call Wilfred Brooks or take another means of transportation. We chose a day with just one cruise ship in, but was next to impossible to find a place to park. The market parking area was full,,,so we circled. Very frustrating.
I probably will always rent a vehicle, but I will chose where I will be driving it to. Phillipsburg is not one of the destinations that I will take a car to again.

Makes me wonder what the future brings,,,more and more people fall in love with SXM,,,which is a good thing, but it makes it harder to get anywhere with so many vehicles driving here and there.

I also realize I go in January which is high season, but that is when we want to get out of the cold up here.

Hope you enjoy your first trip.....you will be hooked like the rest of us. smile

Randy and Meg Young