There are so many wonderful responses here that I won't be able to reply to all of you individually thanking you for your help. You've taken what was, reading back, a bit of an over-the-top, anxiety-ridden cry for help and calmed me the hell down. Thank you all so much for that.

What was the most comforting was hearing from you that the first bareboat charter IS intimidating, and that it does get better. I think because I'm taking my parents on their first vacation in years, it adds to the stress of wanting them to have a nice time and not worry about where we will spend the night.

I see the sense in perhaps doing things differently than on a flotilla, and getting an earlier anchorage/mooring and then doing the snorkeling, relaxing bit from that location.

I've taken careful notes on everything you've said. My plan very much now includes things like Leverick and taking a JVD land taxi to see some of the more popular sights, and other things that I never considered before. Your recommendations have been great!

I'm feeling so much better about this whole thing :-)