I really don't believe that hysteria helps anything, because it leads to overreactions which in most cases don't work to contain the spread of a virus. But, I do agree that everyone should realize that the possibility of quarantine is a reality and that adequate measures to deal with this should be considered if that occurs. If an outbreak occurs on St. Martin that is extensive enough those of us visiting in the upcoming month(s) could possibly be looking at quarantine measures when we return to the states, Canada, wherever. I think this is unlikely, but nonetheless a possibility. Planning for this remote possibility would be a smart step.

The good news is that 86% of the people who have contacted this virus have a mild form of this. Equivalent to a mild influenza or even a cold. The people most at risk will be those who are immuno-compromised to various degrees, and possibly those with existing upper respiratory illness. We are not going to amend or postpone our upcoming visit to St. Martin based on what we know at the present time. But, I suppose I would think twice about getting on a cruise ship at this time based on the reactions coming forth from various countries. I would likely re-book for another time. A corona virus like this one should obviously be taken seriously, but it's important to remember that stuff like this makes sensational headlines on the news and stokes our innermost fears that leads to the assumption "what if it's me?"