Originally Posted by cyclingdoc
Regarding ROAM check in. I’ve used it many times. Sometimes it takes 3 minutes to be cleared and other times it has taken 3 hours. Only once I was asked to do an “interview” over the phone. It was voice only, no video.

I’m curious as to other peoples’ experiences.

I have used it now several times. Oh how I wish they would improve it just ever so slightly. If you would have some clue as to when it would get processed you could chill out. But not knowing the status is aggravating. My wait time has been closer to an hour each time. One time I nearly gave up and gave them a call. Then got blasted by a very nasty agent that explained to me that they were "busy" and would get to the request soon.

I have learned two things (the hard way):
1. They don't open until 10:00. I have tried in the past to submit before they open but that seems to be a bad idea, i.e., seems like it takes much longer to get a response back. I now only submit after they are open.
2. Do not submit anywhere close to the border. Make sure you are well inside US waters. I submitted once when I was barely inside (according to both my chart plotter and my Navionics app) and ended up waiting an hour before they told me I had submitted outside US waters and was thus rejected. Now I make sure I'm well inside before I hit the send button.

One other thing I have learned. It's really hard to hold the camera still over the passport to scan the information if the boat (my case a monohull) is rocking. You are better off scanning all of the passports from a quite anchorage.

Life's short - sail more!