We have used it several times.

1. Once we tried to use it coming across from JVD to Maho and we knew the cell reception was better in the open water then in Maho so we tried halfway across and got rejected immediately due to being outside US waters. Definitely wait as mentioned above.

2. One morning we initiated at 8:03am, phone interview at 8:05am and cleared in 2 minutes. Only time out of 5-10 times that we were interviewed.

3. Other times it has been from 10 minutes to the more typical 2-3 hours. It’s problematic because it you can’t clear in then you have to commit to changing plans and heading to a customs office, which at 5 knots can significantly alter plans when you “anticipate it working.” Example. Sailing from JVD to Maho and spending the day and night at Maho. If it doesn’t work then you have to head to Cruz Bay to clear in and back which is a 2-3 hour commitment.

4. Once we were cleared in 5 days later. Already went to Cruz bay and cleared in person.

5. Another time our friends needed to catch a taxi from Maho to Cruz, then ferry from Cruz to Charlotte Amalie. We tried for 2 hours in Maho. They separated from us, risky I know, and when they got to Charlotte Amalie customs they explained the situation and the nice agents immediately cleared us all via ROAM. Completely unexpected outcome. They said they were busy.

6. I was under the impression it goes to some regional or national office, but the local agents said they process the local requests. Not sure I can confirm this.

Overall I very happy the option exists. Isn’t everything a work in progress?

Last edited by cyclingdoc; 03/14/2020 09:53 AM.