Mark:

As others have pointed out, this is a recently debated topic. Its certainly a tricky topic as well and is unfortunate for all involved - in particular the charter guests like you.

I would agree that you didn't cancel in the traditional sense and clearly the charter firm cancelled you - albeit for reasons outside their control. So, it would appear they breached the contract and would owe you all amounts paid. However, I don't know what your contract says and that may cover this issue - eg they may exclude any fault due to acts of god (pandemic), etc. That may be relevant even if its not right (in my opinion). I also don't know how you made payment (credit card, check, wire, etc.) so don't know how difficult it may be to get your funds back - certainly, there's some possible level of protection if via credit card and dispute resolution. But regardless, good luck.

I have a similar situation though I'm in much better shape than you. I was able to fully cancel out and get all funds refunded to me, less a relatively small "cancellation" fee even though the charter company couldn't fulfill the boat (similar situation to yours). (My final payment wasn't due to be paid until after the pandemic hit so I was able to avoid having 100% of the cost out of pocket.) Still, I will tell you that I'm disputing that fee with Visa on similar grounds to your situation. I am expecting that dispute to be declined but it would be a small price for me to pay vs what would have been a $12k charge. I was requested but unwilling to roll over and reschedule my trip as it would have been in 2021 for me and that's unrealistic for me to provide that deposit that far in advance.

Again, good luck.