Hi all! I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Looking for others' experience/advice. I had a charter scheduled for July and the charter company recently emailed me to explain that they had to cancel as the BVI Government is not likely to open the boarder to tourists until at least September. They went on to point out that I did not purchase "Cancellation Insurance" so they felt that they had the right to keep my deposit, but they would try to work with me. They would agree to hold my deposit for up to 24 months for credit towards a future booking in return for a significant Change Fee. After I pushed back they offered to reduce the change fee to something lower but they insisted charging a Change Fee.

I really feel taken advantage of here. The Charter Contract reads in part "If Charterer is forced to cancel the deposit is forfeited". They cancelled... Not me! I feel that I am entitled to a full refund of my deposit. However I am willing to be reasonable and let them keep the credit as I will use it next year. But I am really hung up on being charged a change fee. I don't think this is right.

What are others' experiences for charters this summer? Am I being unreasonable?

Mark Shichtman
"Live for Today!"

[Linked Image]