Here is a pilot report on the Tecnam. It should be able to make SJU and fill all the seats.

The contrast between old and new at Tecnam became apparent as soon as I strapped into the P2012’s cockpit with chief test pilot Lorenzo De Stefano, a former Italian air force pilot, and we began taxiing toward the runway. “Should we really be doing this?” was the question that came to mind as we rolled off the paved taxiway that leads from the factory to the “runway”—in reality a muddy grass strip measuring just 1,800 feet long. De Stefano in the left seat pushed the power levers forward and we lumbered sideways through muddy ruts, jouncing over deep gashes in the nutrient-rich Italian soil that were filled with at least a foot of water. The strip had only recently reopened after torrential rains forced its closure for an entire week before my arrival in Italy. Just as I was starting to question our sanity for considering taking off from such a short runway in a large airplane in these conditions, the field toward the departure end began to dry out considerably. A cursory glance at the runway surface confirmed that it was in much better shape than the slightly lower elevation off to the side where we were taxiing. I watched as the Tecnam P2010 single ahead of us—the photo ship for the air-to-air photography session that would be a part of this sortie—accelerated on the runway and lifted into the sky with ease. OK, let’s do this.

Having completed the run-up and other preflight checks on the ramp, De Stefano confirmed I was set to go, then swung the P2012 onto the runway, advancing the power to the forward stops. We rocketed on the uneven surface, bouncing along until the ground fell away far sooner than I expected, with a ground roll of perhaps 900 feet at our relatively light weight.

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 09/21/2020 04:13 PM.