I agree with Captain Jay. Local and other NIMBYs are missing a great opportunity to take advantage of change. Think long-term entrepreneurial - not short-term governmental authority.

We anchored at Magens for two nights earlier this month as we found it a nice refuge from strong winds. And we were glad to SPEND MONEY on the beach concession area and a nearby restaurant. No thanks due to the poor attitude of the lifeguards though. They discouraged us charter guests, told us we couldn't beach our dingy even though we came ashore at the far north end of the beach. Lifeguard tried to hit me up for admission fee, but I told him that Scott's Cruise Guide said that there was a charge if arriving by vehicle but there wasn't a charge from a boat. He demurred and walked off. One of the sport concessionaires told me to just come back after 5pm and we could beach our dingy and meet a cab for dinner. So one of us had to swim in and out from the dingy tie area. And we still managed to spend over $150 for lunch and drinks...where, BTW, we found pretty good service.

We found good sandy bottom holding, and many charter boats including larger +100' vessels. No need for moorings. We would have gladly paid a modest fee for an overnight if there was a corresponding value. Instead of complaining about impact of shore based facilities why not INVEST in an upgrade and earn revenue from the demand that could be created? Build a small dingy dock, upgrade bathrooms, offer WiFi access, charge a modest fee for garbage, sell ice, carry small grocery items, encourage a "deliverance" boat, etc. No long-term stays, maximum two consecutive nights to preserve the waters, etc. would be great!

As there are already kitchen, bar, and seating facilities, why not upgrade to include an upscale full-service restaurant? Can you think "Pirates West"? With fewer "beach bars" and restaurants in the USVI than BVI, there would be a great demand for a nice convenient land-side destination on the northwest part of St. Thomas for sailors. (While some may shudder at the thought of a Pirates West, run right I"m sure it would be tremendously successful.)

Why not encourage taxis to offer evening service for local west-end or downtown restaurants? Win-win for the Taxi Association, establishments, employers and employees. What's not to like? We dropped nearly $1,000 in two days! Imagine what that could do to the local economy if duplicated smartly.

My two bits, I'll step off the soapbox now. JP

Last edited by jphart; 03/27/2021 02:35 PM.